Jul 17, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #991 of 1,761
Since we are sharing…not that anyone asked

Attachments

• C83C2AB0-894B-45E4-9954-430B28E7F796.jpeg
    C83C2AB0-894B-45E4-9954-430B28E7F796.jpeg
    1,000 KB · Views: 0
Jul 17, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #992 of 1,761
Since we are sharing…not that anyone asked

What is that "Tone" thing, and how does it compliment the Zen stack?

Jul 17, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #993 of 1,761
What is that "Tone" thing, and how does it compliment the Zen stack?
The Tone2 Pro is a DAC/AMP that operates very much in the same way as the Zen DACv2 does.

The Zen DACv2 is hooked up to Windows system

The Tone 2 Pro is hooked up to my Mac.

Why both? Apple Music does not stream lossless to Windows… yet. Needed a separate small form factor DAC AMP. The Tone2 Pro checks all the boxes and has incredible sound, like the Zen DACv2.

Both the Zen DACv2 and the Tone2 Pro have lines into my Zen CAN for amplification and xbass filer enhancement.

Zen DACv2 plugs in via the balanced 4.4 pentaconn port.

The Tone2 Pro plugs in via RCA

All I have to do to switch is select the correct input channel on the Zen CAN.

Jul 17, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #994 of 1,761
The Tone2 Pro is a DAC/AMP that operates very much in the same way as the Zen DACv2 does.

...[snip]

I like the way that looks for a desktop DAC, and I see it comes in red too, which is pretty sweet. Your whole setup looks really nice dude!

More listening going on: Paul Simon - Graceland, Kate Bush - Hounds of Love. Still very impressed, but I do see how some people could find the DT-770 cans a bit fatiguing at louder volumes. My old ears can use the boost in the upper mids and treble, so it works for me so far. :)

Next in the queue: Electric Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue, then Pat Metheny - Road to the Sun

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #995 of 1,761
I like the way that looks for a desktop DAC, and I see it comes in red too, which is pretty sweet. Your whole setup looks really nice dude!

More listening going on: Paul Simon - Graceland, Kate Bush - Hounds of Love. Still very impressed, but I do see how some people could find the DT-770 cans a bit fatiguing at louder volumes. My old ears can use the boost in the upper mids and treble, so it works for me so far. :)

Next in the queue: Electric Light Orchestra - Out of the Blue, then Pat Metheny - Road to the Sun
I have the same setup as you, i have the 770 250ohms but i also have the zen can hooked up to the Zen, i found just using the Zen at high volumes was pretty tough, adding the can fixed that though.

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #996 of 1,761
I have the same setup as you, i have the 770 250ohms but i also have the zen can hooked up to the Zen, i found just using the Zen at high volumes was pretty tough, adding the can fixed that though.

Are you using the RCA cables to pair the stack, or did you get the 4.4 balanced patch cable? @Effigy - same question to you.

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #998 of 1,761
As stated - BOTH.

4.4 - Zen DACv2 to Zen CAN
RCA - Tone2 Pro to Zen CAN

Do you think it makes a difference, sonically, one way or the other? I assume not, given it's such a short distance, but it's always good to ask. :smile_phones:

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #999 of 1,761
Do you think it makes a difference, sonically, one way or the other? I assume not, given it's such a short distance, but it's always good to ask. :smile_phones:
So, not to mansplain, but balanced has two big advantages - IN THEORY:

1) A lower noise floor
2) More power

Lower noise floor: With THIS combination, I find both DACs in my current configurations (all powered by low noise power) is non existent. If there is noise on either line, it is completely below my range of hearing. The DACv1 had noise issues when NOT powered by a low noise linear power supply, but v2 does not seem to have that issue. The Tone2 Pro produces exceptionally clear output with a very very low noise floor on the RCA interface (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/khadas-tone2-pro-review-dac-amp.20684/)

So as it relates to the benefits of “low noise” - if it’s there, I can’t hear it. I have also set myself up to ensure that I am not introducing noise.

More Power - The CAN produces way more than enough even in the lowest gain for most of my headphones. More power isn’t really a concern - single ended or balanced.

To add:

1) You are correct. Short distances certainly contribute.
2) I am using ferrite cores on all cables where there is even a small possibility of external interference. They are super cheap though.
3) I run fully balanced (DAC —> AMP —> headphones) on my sennheisers and soon my Meze 99 Noirs. I can’t pick out anything on this stack that has ever said “OMG this is clearly different!!” This would likely be more obvious using a different amp - any of the THX amps as an example…. These models (SMSL SH-9, Drop THX 789, etc) are known for extreme neutrality, the lowest conceivable noise floor and for extremely low distortion. If a track was recorded poorly, you will notice it - I suspect more so on these amps with balanced out.

Jul 21, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #1,000 of 1,761
Hey all. I just snagged the Zen DAC v2 after seeing a ton of positive feedback. My preferred headphones are my Hifiman Sundara's. I'm sad to say, all is not sunshine and rainbows. The 4.4mm output is defective. I'm getting some real aggravating static on the right channel (it revealed itself when I played a video where a woman was speaking w/ no extra noise in the background.) I've tested this by swapping the cables going to the ear cups. I also tested with my Fiio M11 thru the 4.4mm output. The static is gone when using the 1/4" output (Tested: Sundara's, V-Moda M100 & CF2 Codex). I submitted a replacement thru Amazon the same night I verified all this. DAC was supposed to arrive yesterday "by 10"... and I got the wonderful "You're shipment has been delayed" update. Another this morning "We'll update you as soon as we get it shipped!". Well, same thing happened with this unit, sort of. Atleast it arrived the following day. Just checked again, the replacement is listed as "Has been ordered", yet the listing shows available for delivery tomorrow...

Well, I will say - The unit looks great! The operation of the volume knob is smooth without feeling loose and cheap. The bass enhancing button is pretty dope. 2 of my Go-To songs when I want to hear some jaw-numbing bass are Killshot - Eminem & Clint Eastwood - Gorrilas. It just got absolutely ridiculously fun testing with V-Moda. I didn't notice any distortion but I was a bit distracted by the fact that the headphones were thumpin my head! 🤣 I noticed the Sundara's really started to distort around 3/4 volume. That changed a little once I noticed my settings on Tidal had reset. Clicking all the options boosted some volume so I wasn't turning it up quite as much. I imagine it'd get a bit better if I went back to a balanced cable as well.

Anyways while I wait on the replacement for my Zen DAC, I'm lookin at an amp as well. Likely the Zen CAN, tho Wave Theory (I believe that's the user?) had a good write up against getting it. I was also looking at the Zen CAN Signature. Price is a bit more, but from what I've seen it may have higher quality components. Is it just tuned to fit the Sennheiser 6XX & comes with their higher quality power adapter? Or is there more to it? Anybody want to chime in on if its worth getting over the CAN if you don't have / don't plan on having the 6XX's? I primarily use the Sundara's, but I'm lookin real heavily at the Focal Elegia's as well right now.

Jul 21, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #1,001 of 1,761
Hey all. I just snagged the Zen DAC v2 after seeing a ton of positive feedback. My preferred headphones are my Hifiman Sundara's. I'm sad to say, all is not sunshine and rainbows. The 4.4mm output is defective. I'm getting some real aggravating static on the right channel (it revealed itself when I played a video where a woman was speaking w/ no extra noise in the background.) I've tested this by swapping the cables going to the ear cups. I also tested with my Fiio M11 thru the 4.4mm output. The static is gone when using the 1/4" output (Tested: Sundara's, V-Moda M100 & CF2 Codex). I submitted a replacement thru Amazon the same night I verified all this. DAC was supposed to arrive yesterday "by 10"... and I got the wonderful "You're shipment has been delayed" update. Another this morning "We'll update you as soon as we get it shipped!". Well, same thing happened with this unit, sort of. Atleast it arrived the following day. Just checked again, the replacement is listed as "Has been ordered", yet the listing shows available for delivery tomorrow...

Well, I will say - The unit looks great! The operation of the volume knob is smooth without feeling loose and cheap. The bass enhancing button is pretty dope. 2 of my Go-To songs when I want to hear some jaw-numbing bass are Killshot - Eminem & Clint Eastwood - Gorrilas. It just got absolutely ridiculously fun testing with V-Moda. I didn't notice any distortion but I was a bit distracted by the fact that the headphones were thumpin my head! 🤣 I noticed the Sundara's really started to distort around 3/4 volume. That changed a little once I noticed my settings on Tidal had reset. Clicking all the options boosted some volume so I wasn't turning it up quite as much. I imagine it'd get a bit better if I went back to a balanced cable as well.

Anyways while I wait on the replacement for my Zen DAC, I'm lookin at an amp as well. Likely the Zen CAN, tho Wave Theory (I believe that's the user?) had a good write up against getting it. I was also looking at the Zen CAN Signature. Price is a bit more, but from what I've seen it may have higher quality components. Is it just tuned to fit the Sennheiser 6XX & comes with their higher quality power adapter? Or is there more to it? Anybody want to chime in on if its worth getting over the CAN if you don't have / don't plan on having the 6XX's? I primarily use the Sundara's, but I'm lookin real heavily at the Focal Elegia's as well right now.
Hi mate. Welcome to the Ifi audio world😂. If I was you, I would go for the iFi Zen Can instead of going for the Signature Stack. I also read about it being "better" but you are paying a lot more for what it is actually worth. Atm I have the iFi Zen Dac V2 with the iFi Zen Can and the Sundaras running everything balanced. Absolute AMAZEBALLSSS. I was actually also looking at the Elegia's to compliment the Sundaras. Hope it helps. You can message for any other questions👌🏻

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #1,002 of 1,761
Hi mate. Welcome to the Ifi audio world😂. If I was you, I would go for the iFi Zen Can instead of going for the Signature Stack. I also read about it being "better" but you are paying a lot more for what it is actually worth. Atm I have the iFi Zen Dac V2 with the iFi Zen Can and the Sundaras running everything balanced. Absolute AMAZEBALLSSS. I was actually also looking at the Elegia's to compliment the Sundaras. Hope it helps. You can message for any other questions👌🏻
Right on, thanks! The Asgard 3 was also in the running, but I'm a little.. eh, picky, about having that matching setup. I'll do a little more digging before making the purchase, the big negative seems to be maybe the CAN falls apart with headphones that are harder to drive. Well, I'd say my Sundara's are probably the hardest to drive lol. V-Moda's M100 & CF2 Codex, SHP9500 and my ATH A900X's are all pretty easy to drive. I think I'll be safe... lol Ooh and at some point between my last post and now, Amazon updated the shipping on the replacement DAC. It should be arriving tomorrow. Woohoo! lol.

Jul 22, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #1,003 of 1,761
Looking for a cheapish dac/amp for my girlfriend Focal Elegia. Do people have experience with this pairing?

How is the single ended output on this? I won't be getting another balanced cable for a while, and I do have other single ended headphones it will get used with.
Other cheap contenders in the sub 150 category if you don't need a lot of power?

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #1,004 of 1,761
Looking for a cheapish dac/amp for my girlfriend Focal Elegia. Do people have experience with this pairing?

How is the single ended output on this? I won't be getting another balanced cable for a while, and I do have other single ended headphones it will get used with.
Other cheap contenders in the sub 150 category if you don't need a lot of power?

I can't speak to how the sound with that pairing would be, but I can tell you that the amp in the iFi Zen DAC v2 should have more than enough power to drive them to decent performance levels. I see the impedance rating on those headphones is rated at 35 ohm, and I'm currently driving 250 ohm DT 770s with this unit at decent levels and great clarity / detail in the sound.

Hope this helps.

Jul 22, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #1,005 of 1,761
The Elegias plugged into the Zen DAC V2 sound fantastic. Very full, engaging and authoritative

Users who are viewing this thread

Back