iFi ZEN DAC discussion + impression
Aug 19, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #376 of 1,761
So many questions F Bizzle, sorry. But it’s all so new and interesting.
If you have both rca and balanced inputs plugged into the zen can from the zen dac which connect is active and can you switch between them easily?

Aug 19, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #378 of 1,761
So many questions F Bizzle, sorry. But it’s all so new and interesting.
If you have both rca and balanced inputs plugged into the zen can from the zen dac which connect is active and can you switch between them easily?

No worries. There is an input button that lets you switch between inputs (there is about a second lag before it completely switches).

I'm pleased with the balanced connection, but I don't think I'm going to comment on if it is sonically better. The delay in input swapping and trying to volume match with the Zen Dac made it a little difficult to be fair. But, if you have another DAC, (which I do think the Zen Can can definitely pair well with other dacs) having that balanced input will give you more options.

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #379 of 1,761
All good, thank you for your help.
Making the assumption that the SQ may be better, and that it makes sense for me to get the Zen Can anyway, and messing about with different interconnects is my idea of fun these days, and that it won’t cost an arm and a precious leg, I am going to give it a go. I have Audio Technica phones with a 4.4 balance cable (or will have soon), and can’t wait to try them out with the Can.
I have ordered this audiocrast jumper cable also so should be good to go
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-4mm-M...392273256970?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
Will let you know how I go.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #380 of 1,761
Hi guys,

I have arcam miniblink bluetooth dac and I am considering if it's worthy to buy zen dac to improve the quality. I use pc - miniblink dac - pair of jbl lsr 305.

do you believe, that the zen dac is an important upgrade of my system in comparison with arcam miniblink ?

Aug 28, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #381 of 1,761
Hi guys,

I have arcam miniblink bluetooth dac and I am considering if it's worthy to buy zen dac to improve the quality. I use pc - miniblink dac - pair of jbl lsr 305.

do you believe, that the zen dac is an important upgrade of my system in comparison with arcam miniblink ?
We are comparing apples and nuts here. The Zen Blue is the equivalent of your miniblink. It adds things you might not need, like the hi res LDAC codec, which is great if you are using an android phone for your source files and player. I don’t know the miniblink but the Zen Blue is super solid and reliable and may be an upgrade to what you have now. The Zen Dac on.y really works to connect your computer or other USB device to deliver an rca out. Again, a great device but it does not connect to your miniblink. It even doesn’t connect to the Zen Blue. So you might want to decide first what you want to accomplish with an upgrade.

Aug 29, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #382 of 1,761
Please see here: http://support.ifi-audio.com/kb/faq.php?id=998

Latency is the time that takes for data to travel from a playback app to the actual DAC chip's analogue outputs.

We recommend to set all driver settings to "Safe" and "Auto" like this:

In this case the system will auto-manage settings for reliable streaming.

Alternatively, extra safe and maximum buffers might be the best choice for hifi speaker listening where latency does not impact anything:

As any clock crystal (including those used in iFi products) reacts to vibrations which in turn causes jitter.

Introducing a significant delay (0.74 sec for 44.1k sample rate) in the chain decorrelates jitter caused most from the music.

Setting things manually may create setups where either the OS USB buffer (streaming mode) under/overruns, as the OS is too busy to maintain the buffer frequently enough or the communication between USB and ASIO buffers are interrupted.

Manual settings, usually per sample rate, are mainly/only recommended for studios to minimise latency when monitoring through DAW software, instead of direct path (analogue) monitoring.

I'm a bit confused about wdm vs asio.

When checking the iFi usb hd control panel while playing through Tidal (master tracks) it seems to be running through wdm (not asio) but I assume this is correct? Windows 10 computer.

I will have to install Foobar software as well?

Pleaset let me know.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #384 of 1,761
We are comparing apples and nuts here. The Zen Blue is the equivalent of your miniblink. It adds things you might not need, like the hi res LDAC codec, which is great if you are using an android phone for your source files and player. I don’t know the miniblink but the Zen Blue is super solid and reliable and may be an upgrade to what you have now. The Zen Dac on.y really works to connect your computer or other USB device to deliver an rca out. Again, a great device but it does not connect to your miniblink. It even doesn’t connect to the Zen Blue. So you might want to decide first what you want to accomplish with an upgrade.

i think to replace my bluetooth miniblink dac with a wired dac, this is why i questioned about zen dac vs miniblink dac. as they are both dacs, i believe that we can make a comparison beetween them. and i am thinking if deserves for my jbl lsr-305 to buy a zen dac. but i think that it is a more specific question about this thread :/

Aug 29, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #385 of 1,761
I have an issue with Tidal playing MQA/master tracks though the Zen Dac and I assume this will be easy to reproduce for any Zen Dac owner using Tidal? I sometimes get a "pop" noise when manually changing track and also I notice the color on the Zen Dac switching from magenta to yellow while this pop sound is happening. I assume the Zen Dac clicks when the sample rate changes?
Firmware: v5.3c
I am using the iPower X.
Note: I only have this issue when playing MQA/master tracks.
Windows 10

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #386 of 1,761
I have an issue with Tidal playing MQA/master tracks though the Zen Dac and I assume this will be easy to reproduce for any of you using Tidal? I sometimes get a "pop" noise when changing track and also I notice the color on the Zen Dac switching from magenta to yellow why this pop sound is happening. I assume the Zen Dac clicks when the sample rate changes?
Firmware: v5.3c
I am using the iPower X.
Note: I only have this issue when playing MQA/master tracks.
Windows 10

Have you installed the iFi (AMR) drivers? I believe I experienced that issue until I installed the drivers on Win 10.

https://ifi-audio.com/firmware/windows-usb-2-0-drivers/

Aug 29, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #387 of 1,761
Have you installed the iFi (AMR) drivers? I believe I experienced that issue until I installed the drivers on Win 10.

https://ifi-audio.com/firmware/windows-usb-2-0-drivers/

Yes, it's installed but maybe I should try reinstalling them.

You are saying you don't get this behavior at all playing master/mqa files through Tidal using firmware 5.3c when pausing/playing files? It doesn't sometimes switching color for you when pausing/playing files and no popping sound?

When playing Tidal it looks like this for me in the control panel, is this correct or it should be asio?

iGFvBOG.png

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #388 of 1,761
Yes, it's installed but maybe I should try reinstalling them.

You are saying you don't get this behavior at all playing master files through Tidal using firmware 5.3c when pausing/playing files? It doesn't sometimes switching color for you when pausing/playing files and no popping sound?

When playing Tidal it looks like this for me in the control panel, is this correct or it should be asio?

iGFvBOG.png

I don't get that behavior when switching from Master quality to non-MQA tracks on Tidal. (I used to tho)

You can try messing with the default format. I also have allow applications to take exclusive control and have all enhancements disabled.

Here are my windows settings and Tidal settings.
1598749393982.png

1598749408015.png

1598749363923.png

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #389 of 1,761
I reinstalled driver but didn't help, also been trying both USB 2 and USB 3 now.

It's interesting though because it's not audible on all tracks, perhaps it's more of a Tidal issue for some master recordings/tracks? But since you are not able to reproduce I am not sure....

Comparing these two lists/albums in Tidal (master tracks) when playing MQA:
  • Metal - TIDAL Masters
  • Club Future Nostalgia (DJ Mix)
I find the Metal - TIDAL Masters more smooth with less pop sound (almost nothing) when manually hitting play on a new song from the beginning.

In the Club Future Nostalgia (DJ Mix) album the pop sound is more common (in more songs).

Perhaps a sample rate change isn't triggered on all songs or done very quickly or more smoothly.

But if you are not able to reproduce it's probably something with my system, computer, zen dac, driver or whatever.

Thanks for sharing your settings, I verified. Only difference was I am running Force volume enabled.

I'm interesting if anybody here is able to reproduce my behavior because if not something is obviously wrong with my setup or system.

Finally: The Zen Dac is sounding amazing playing MQA/master files from Tidal. The sporadic pop sound when manually hitting play on some songs is my only (small) issue.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #390 of 1,761
I reinstalled driver but didn't help, also been trying both USB 2 and USB 3 now.

It's interesting though because it's not audible on all tracks, perhaps it's more of a Tidal issue for some master recordings/tracks? But since you are not able to reproduce I am not sure....

Comparing these two lists/albums in Tidal (master tracks) when playing MQA:
  • Metal - TIDAL Masters
  • Club Future Nostalgia (DJ Mix)
I find the Metal - TIDAL Masters more smooth with less pop sound (almost nothing) when manually hitting play on a new song from the beginning.

In the Club Future Nostalgia (DJ Mix) album the pop sound is more common (in more songs).

Perhaps a sample rate change isn't triggered on all songs or done very quickly or more smoothly.

But if you are not able to reproduce it's probably something with my system, computer, zen dac, driver or whatever.

Thanks for sharing your settings, I verified. Only difference was I am running Force volume enabled.

I'm interesting if anybody here is able to reproduce my behavior because if not something is obviously wrong with my setup or system.

Finally: The Zen Dac is sounding amazing playing MQA/master files from Tidal.

Did you try to reproduce the issue on another PC or Mac,etc?

I do sometimes perceive a small audible pop, but not on Tidal. Rather it's when I 'switch' programs, say from Youtube on Vivaldi browser to Spotify/VLC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back