iFi ZEN DAC discussion + impression
Aug 30, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #392 of 1,761
Did you try to reproduce the issue on another PC or Mac,etc?

I do sometimes perceive a small audible pop, but not on Tidal. Rather it's when I 'switch' programs, say from Youtube on Vivaldi browser to Spotify/VLC.

Yes, I am able to reproduce on both laptop and workstation, it's really strange that no other Tidal Hifi & Zen Dac owners are able to reproduce. Then I assume I will have to return my Zen Dac if no other are able to reproduce this scenario switching between different MQA/master tracks in Tidal. It's not very audible but for some albums/lists you do here the "pop" sound in the beginning when manually starting tracks. English isn't my native language but trying my best here. :wink:

One example where I hear them is Club Future Nostalgia (DJ Mix)

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #393 of 1,761
Yes, I am able to reproduce on both laptop and workstation, it's really strange that no other are able to reproduce. Then I assume I will have to return my Zen Dac if no other are able to reproduce this scenario switching between different MQA/master tracks in Tidal. It's not very audible but for some albums/lists you do here the sound in the beginning when manually starting tracks.

One example where I hear them is Club Future Nostalgia (DJ Mix)

As I'm not a Tidal subscriber, perhaps others here will be able to test this for you.

Aug 30, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #394 of 1,761
As I'm not a Tidal subscriber, perhaps others here will be able to test this for you.

Oh, ok, yes, I need help from other Zen Dac owners with Tidal running MQA/master tracks.

Again I have to clarify, it's sounding great playing the MQA/master tracks through Tidal and Zen Dac, it's just the sporadic pop sound (not for all songs) when manually switching/browsing through different MQA tracks which is annoying me. It's not loud, no, but still a bit annoying when everything else is perfect.

If I understand this sometimes happen for other products as well, at least when running AMP/DAC through USB but I will try doing some more googling/analyze. It could be Tidal related of course. If you google Tidal MQA (or master) pop sounds or similar you will find some interesting threads.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #395 of 1,761
The other day I (successfully) upgraded my hip-DAC and Zen DAC to the 5.03c (GTO) filter. My hip-DAC continues to show green when I'm playing my files (96/44 ALAC).

However, my Zen DAC shows a 'yellowish green', and only on the right side, the left side (as you look at the face) doesn't light up.

This is w/ the same source device, my iPhone 11, same files/songs....any thoughts?

Aug 31, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #396 of 1,761
I just tried Club Future Nostalgia and can confirm it also clicks (and indicator turns briefly yellow) when switching tracks on my setup.

Tried What a Time To Be Alive (Drake, Future) and that does not click, but does also briefly turn indicator yellow when changing tracks which is to be expected I guess, as the MQA output briefly stops streaming.

Aug 31, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #397 of 1,761
I just tried Club Future Nostalgia and can confirm it also clicks (and indicator turns briefly yellow) when switching tracks on my setup.

Tried What a Time To Be Alive (Drake, Future) and that does not click, but does also briefly turn indicator yellow when changing tracks which is to be expected I guess, as the MQA output briefly stops streaming.

Many thanks for reproducing. :) Another Zen Dac - Tidal user here also helped me reproducing this behavior (we had a private conversation).

Yeah I assume the Zen Dac making a quiet "pop"/click sound when the sample rate changes between mqa - pcm (?) - mqa which happens for some Tidal master tracks when manually hitting play but not for all Tidal master tracks. Since this is not affecting continuous play (at least I don't think so) it is ok otherwise it would have been more annoying.

Question is: Should the Zen Dac behave like this or not? The sporadic "pop" sounds when the sample rate changes? This is a rather common behavior for several DAC products out there connecting through USB, right?

"RealBugsBunny" on Reddit actually recommending me to have my unit replaced which is confusing me a bit, this thread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TIdaL/comments/ijjzff/tidal_master_tracks_through_a_ampdac_sporadic/

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #398 of 1,761
Hopefully iFi Audio will chime in, they seem to be active in this thread.

It could be a firmware issue - we are both using V5.3C

Also, mine shows WDM as being active, not ASIO which baffles me a little, as I thought the driver we installed was an ASIO driver.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #399 of 1,761
Hopefully iFi Audio will chime in, they seem to be active in this thread.

It could be a firmware issue - we are both using V5.3C

Also, mine shows WDM as being active, not ASIO which baffles me a little, as I thought the driver we installed was an ASIO driver.

I believe this is correct, Tidal is not supporting ASIO on Windows 10 I think (?) but software like Roon does.

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #400 of 1,761
Sep 1, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #403 of 1,761
I listened closely & just noticed that I'm getting clicks when changing tracks on Foobar as well. FLAC files. Also on Spotify, but pretty randomly and not all the time.

I assume we sometimes get sporadic click sounds when there is a sample rate change triggered which could be related to the fact it's connecting through USB but I'm not sure (guessing now).

It's probably not affecting continuous play though, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back