iFi ZEN DAC discussion + impression
Aug 2, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #361 of 1,761
[QUOTE = "hag6, post: 15778770, membro: 430285"]
Ho deciso di acquistare lo Zen Can da aggiungere al mio Zen Dac. Di solito aspetto più recensioni ma non ho voluto perdere l'offerta limitata di ipower. Le mie osservazioni iniziali su Zen Can sono che la potenza extra fornita rispetto allo Zen Dac come unità autonoma, integrate le prestazioni sonore complessive. La firma del suono è più calda. Ho il combo collegato a un PC usando Foobar come lettore multimediale, guidando Sennheiser 660s in modalità bilanciata, A / I 5.3c. Le due unità sono collegate tramite RCA / phono. Inizialmente, ho impostato il guadagno su 0, ma l'ho pompato un po 'a 6 dB. Il volume impostato a poco meno di 12'o orologio fornito ai 660 molta potenza. L'XBass sembra abbastanza sottile e non così ovvio come il TrueBass di Zen Dac che dà un più evidente sollevamento dei bassi. Ho provato a impostare Zen Dac su uscita variabile e ho colpito Truebass e sembra più evidente dell'X-Bass. L'attivazione di entrambi i miglioramenti dei bassi insieme ha creato un effetto piuttosto esaltante con i 660s. Nel complesso, la combo suona bene, bella separazione di elementi musicali e dettagli - penso che il soundstage sia migliorato rispetto allo Zen Dac, forse leggermente migliorato dall'elenco 3D Matrix.
[/ CITAZIONE]
Ma ne vale la pena? I miglioramenti sono

I have Sennheiser hd 660 s and the ZEN DAC (not signature). What do you suggest? Thanks
I think for the price, the Zen Can with the ipower is worth the money. Given the extra power gain and flexibility of the 4 step gain it should be well suited to a range of IEMs & full-sized headphones. The Zen Dac is very good, I think the extra power of the Zen Can gives the Zen Dac a bit more weight and detail. From a brief listening session It’s difficult to be more precise but if I listened to the combo for the first time I would be impressed with the overall sound quality which i would define as warm and smooth with the 660s. Hopefully more new owners will post their impressions soon.

Aug 2, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #362 of 1,761
I think for the price, the Zen Can with the ipower is worth the money. Given the extra power gain and flexibility of the 4 step gain it should be well suited to a range of IEMs & full-sized headphones. The Zen Dac is very good, I think the extra power of the Zen Can gives the Zen Dac a bit more weight and detail. From a brief listening session It’s difficult to be more precise but if I listened to the combo for the first time I would be impressed with the overall sound quality which i would define as warm and smooth with the 660s. Hopefully more new owners will post their impressions soon.
Imho, the real improvement with Sennheiser HD 660 s is achieved with ZEN CAN Signature

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #364 of 1,761
Hi all, just ordered one, does the USB 3 cable go to an ordinary usb port on my pc? And should I install a driver first to work with Windows 10? Thanks.

just read: Connect via USB3.0 (USB2.0 compatible) input from your USB source such as a computer or Digital Audio Player (DAP).

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #365 of 1,761
Hi all, just ordered one, does the USB 3 cable go to an ordinary usb port on my pc? And should I install a driver first to work with Windows 10? Thanks.

just read: Connect via USB3.0 (USB2.0 compatible) input from your USB source such as a computer or Digital Audio Player (DAP).
Yes, you have to download the correct driver for win10 and, if you would, the 5.3c FW. Usb 3.0 or 2.0 is the same. I use a 2.0 USB audio cable, not the IFI cable

Aug 14, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #366 of 1,761
does the USB 3 cable go to an ordinary usb port on my pc?
Yes, only difference is USB3 B connector.
1597424967351.png

Aug 19, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #373 of 1,761
That looks the business! Are those balanced cables available to buy somewhere?

Yes and no. I couldn't find a 4.4mm to 4.4mm cable available a few weeks ago, so I bought 2 - 4.4mm "extensions", and harvested the 4.4mm plug to make the 1 cable.

And the white pink and black cable is a single ended 3.5 interconnect is it?

Those are the Bassik OFC RCA cables from KnuKonceptz. I had another amp that was connected to another DAC, and I just pulled it off that amp to try with the Zen Can. A hot mess when I took the pic.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #374 of 1,761
Thanks for helpful info.Were you pleased with the results sonically. With balanced connection was it better than with rca?
I found this supplier
https://pentaconnglobal.com/categories/Connection-Cable/4
Over 200 Aussie so not an impulse buy! Plus leads are short. Could get the 2.5 and mate with the fiio 4.5mm to 2.5 mm adapters perhaps. A good hack but kludgy looking maybe.
I have asked IFi what they recommend and will post their response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back