iFi ZEN DAC discussion + impression
Apr 14, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #302 of 1,761
Dear all, for those of you have experience with both the Zen Dac and Chord Mojo, is it worth the money to upgrade to Mojo? Apart from differences in sound signature, is the sound quality significantly better on the Mojo (subtle difference, or a big jump)? Many thanks.
are you using zen dac through 4.4mm output? because the zen dac is balanced, while mojo is not...

Apr 15, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #305 of 1,761
Please let us know how you like it!

Thanks. Here are some first impressions after playing with it for one day. I'm far from an audiophile or experienced enough to review things. I don't even have other dacs. I have an entry level speaker system from many years ago. For headphones, I have Drop HD 6xx, ATH m50x, Etymotic ER3XR, and Hifiman RE400.

Sound quality: Zen has noticeably more clarity, more 3D like sound, and larger capacity for higher volume than my computer or iPad (it's surprising to me though how good the iPad's dac is). The difference is noticeable, but it doesn't blow me away. This is likely due to my untrained ears, but it certainly sounds great. For somebody like me, I probably don't need to buy another dac. From various reviews I gather the Zen's sound quality is similar to Nano idsd and Hip Dac, which are somewhat worse than xdsd, which is in turn somewhat worse than Chord Mojo. So can I conclude then the sound quality is not day and night different from the Mojo? It seems changing dac doesn't have as pronounced a difference for sound quality as changing headphones/speakers.

Power output. On the iPad with Massdrop 6XX, with PowerMatch, my personal highest volume without hurting my ears is about 1-2 o'clock. So there is still some headroom for people with higher tolerance. I'm surprised that this has been a contentious point in internet forums and reviews--whether the Zen/Hip can drive 6XX. you would think this should be objectively easy to check. So we have vastly different ears? Or people use different settings such as not maximizing volume level on the computer?

Size: It's twice as big as the Nano idsd and weighs three times. The heft helps it remain stationary on the desk but it is still very portable when moving around the house working with an iPad. The iPad can drive it without using external power (but I purchased a USB to DC cable to use it with a powerbank if needed). I don't commute by public transportation so I have no need to rubber band it with my phone during the day. But I sometimes go on business trips. I was thinking to take a dac with me, but the Zen is too heavy for that purpose relative to the gain in sound quality. However, since the Ifi Hip can also work on the desktop, maybe I should get that or the Nano nstead?

By my understanding, the three (Zen, Hip, Nano) have the same level of sound quality and similar power output. The Hip's sound is reportedly too warm for certain headphones such as the Massdrop HD 6XX. Do the Zen and Nano sound noticeably cooler? Will the Zen, being a larger unit, theoretically have better sound quality? The Nano can play an charge at the same time, or bypass the battery. The Hip relies on the battery full time. Is one way better than the other? Nano doesn't have balanced out, but many people report they can't hear the difference. Nano doesn't have the bass boost button, which I don't think I will miss. But it is older and doesn't have the new filter in Firmware 5.3c, which seems to be a real disadvantage.

Dislikes: It seems that the Zen doesn't shut off speaker output when you plug in headphones. So when you listen with headphones the attached speakers still broadcast to the whole house? The included USB cable is way too short. I understand there may be a signal quality reason, but if it's so short that I cannot put the Zen on my desk, I have no choice but giving up signal quality in favor of usability. Why it has to be so big (even without a battery) relative to the Hip? It needs to house the speaker output connections and that's mostly it.

Next, maybe I will buy a balanced cable to try, but it's at least fifty bucks--will I notice a significant difference? Many people said they didn't. And upgrade firmware to improve sound quality.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #306 of 1,761
Thanks. Here are some first impressions after playing with it for one day. I'm far from an audiophile or experienced enough to review things. I don't even have other dacs. I have an entry level speaker system from many years ago. For headphones, I have Drop HD 6xx, ATH m50x, Etymotic ER3XR, and Hifiman RE400.

Sound quality: Zen has noticeably more clarity, more 3D like sound, and larger capacity for higher volume than my computer or iPad (it's surprising to me though how good the iPad's dac is). The difference is noticeable, but it doesn't blow me away. This is likely due to my untrained ears, but it certainly sounds great. For somebody like me, I probably don't need to buy another dac. From various reviews I gather the Zen's sound quality is similar to Nano idsd and Hip Dac, which are somewhat worse than xdsd, which is in turn somewhat worse than Chord Mojo. So can I conclude then the sound quality is not day and night different from the Mojo? It seems changing dac doesn't have as pronounced a difference for sound quality as changing headphones/speakers.

Power output. On the iPad with Massdrop 6XX, with PowerMatch, my personal highest volume without hurting my ears is about 1-2 o'clock. So there is still some headroom for people with higher tolerance. I'm surprised that this has been a contentious point in internet forums and reviews--whether the Zen/Hip can drive 6XX. you would think this should be objectively easy to check. So we have vastly different ears? Or people use different settings such as not maximizing volume level on the computer?

Size: It's twice as big as the Nano idsd and weighs three times. The heft helps it remain stationary on the desk but it is still very portable when moving around the house working with an iPad. The iPad can drive it without using external power (but I purchased a USB to DC cable to use it with a powerbank if needed). I don't commute by public transportation so I have no need to rubber band it with my phone during the day. But I sometimes go on business trips. I was thinking to take a dac with me, but the Zen is too heavy for that purpose relative to the gain in sound quality. However, since the Ifi Hip can also work on the desktop, maybe I should get that or the Nano nstead?

By my understanding, the three (Zen, Hip, Nano) have the same level of sound quality and similar power output. The Hip's sound is reportedly too warm for certain headphones such as the Massdrop HD 6XX. Do the Zen and Nano sound noticeably cooler? Will the Zen, being a larger unit, theoretically have better sound quality? The Nano can play an charge at the same time, or bypass the battery. The Hip relies on the battery full time. Is one way better than the other? Nano doesn't have balanced out, but many people report they can't hear the difference. Nano doesn't have the bass boost button, which I don't think I will miss. But it is older and doesn't have the new filter in Firmware 5.3c, which seems to be a real disadvantage.

Dislikes: It seems that the Zen doesn't shut off speaker output when you plug in headphones. So when you listen with headphones the attached speakers still broadcast to the whole house? The included USB cable is way too short. I understand there may be a signal quality reason, but if it's so short that I cannot put the Zen on my desk, I have no choice but giving up signal quality in favor of usability. Why it has to be so big (even without a battery) relative to the Hip? It needs to house the speaker output connections and that's mostly it.

Next, maybe I will buy a balanced cable to try, but it's at least fifty bucks--will I notice a significant difference? Many people said they didn't. And upgrade firmware to improve sound quality.
I got a basic Balanced 4.4mm cable►Amazon for the HD6xx and the music is just so much juicier, I love the Zen-Dac now. I also rolled back the firmware to (5.2b) which gives a longer decay on the music notes, much more natural sounding. I just really enjoy the music more on (5.2b) than with the other two (5.3)(5.3c).
The cable has FULFILLMENT BY AMAZON so you have 30 days to return it if you don't like it.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #307 of 1,761
I got a basic Balanced 4.4mm cable►Amazon for the HD6xx and the music is just so much juicier, I love the Zen-Dac now. I also rolled back the firmware to (5.2b) which gives a longer decay on the music notes, much more natural sounding. I just really enjoy the music more on (5.2b) than with the other two (5.3)(5.3c).
The cable has FULFILLMENT BY AMAZON so you have 30 days to return it if you don't like it.

Thanks for the information!

Jun 8, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #308 of 1,761
I've had the ifi Zen Dac for about a month. It's my first dedicated Dac/Amp. Not an audiophile of much experience. I really enjoy using it with my pc. Mostly using spotify or amazon hd music on either a 660s or Ether CX. I prefer the balanced connection, to my novice listening experience the soundstage seems wider. Plenty of power. I bought the extra power cable because on my old Mac Tower it couldn't pull enough power, but on my PC it doesn't seem to need it. It powers the Sennheisers and Ether CX well, i'm usually at about 11-12:30 on the dial balanced. When listening on my 64Audio A6t there's no noise that I can hear, but i can barely touch the volume without my head exploding, probably going to put an attenuator on it to see if that helps. I've listened to the same headphones/iems on the portable THX ( zen was more detailed and fun to me), BTR5 (not as interesting sound, basically i just mean the zen is more enjoyable to listen to) .... I'm going to use the dac and run it through balanced to a TA-20...hope if anyone is considering this helps...

Jun 9, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #309 of 1,761
Thanks. Here are some first impressions after playing with it for one day.

Thanks for your feedback! And big apologies for not seeing this thread in a while.

However, since the Ifi Hip can also work on the desktop, maybe I should get that or the Nano nstead?

hip-dac was designed as a portable device capable of runningo nly on its internal battery. ZEN DAC is very similar to hip-dac on SQ, but designed to work as a desktop product. iDSD nano would be a notch above them, but also tailored more to portable use.

By my understanding, the three (Zen, Hip, Nano) have the same level of sound quality and similar power output.

Nano is one cut above hip-dac and ZEN DAC in our roster, but we got feedback that all three are quite similar.

I understand there may be a signal quality reason

Cable length had more to do with desktop use than anything else. If needed, an extender is what I'd recommend.

Why it has to be so big (even without a battery) relative to the Hip?

Size is a relative subject. As a desktop product, ZEN DAC has to be big enough to stand on a desk, but also small enough to not take too much space. Considering all connection options, I'd say the product meets these criteria :)

Thanks for the nfo :)

I've had the ifi Zen Dac for about a month. It's my first dedicated Dac/Amp. Not an audiophile of much experience. I really enjoy using it with my pc. Mostly using spotify or amazon hd music on either a 660s or Ether CX. I prefer the balanced connection, to my novice listening experience the soundstage seems wider. Plenty of power. I bought the extra power cable because on my old Mac Tower it couldn't pull enough power, but on my PC it doesn't seem to need it. It powers the Sennheisers and Ether CX well, i'm usually at about 11-12:30 on the dial balanced. When listening on my 64Audio A6t there's no noise that I can hear, but i can barely touch the volume without my head exploding, probably going to put an attenuator on it to see if that helps. I've listened to the same headphones/iems on the portable THX ( zen was more detailed and fun to me), BTR5 (not as interesting sound, basically i just mean the zen is more enjoyable to listen to) .... I'm going to use the dac and run it through balanced to a TA-20...hope if anyone is considering this helps...

Thank you for your impressions. Many of our customers already expressed that ZEN DAC as a balanced device is more enjoyable to listen to. All I can say is that, due to how its circuit is done, that's correct and you confirmed this. Enjoy!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 19, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #314 of 1,761
I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on the Zen DAC.

My problem is that the price is very similar to the Fiio K5Pro and I'm undecided about which one to get.

Also, I will be using it with "difficult" to drive headphones: the AKG K702/K712 (is on my want list) and the AKG K240 MkII (so, I'll be using the unbalanced connection).

I don't know if someone had/has the Fiio K5Pro to compare, but... Is the Zen DAC a good match for these cans (unbalanced) or the Fiio K5Pro would be a better bet?

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #315 of 1,761
I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on the Zen DAC.

My problem is that the price is very similar to the Fiio K5Pro and I'm undecided about which one to get.

Also, I will be using it with "difficult" to drive headphones: the AKG K702/K712 (is on my want list) and the AKG K240 MkII (so, I'll be using the unbalanced connection).

I don't know if someone had/has the Fiio K5Pro to compare, but... Is the Zen DAC a good match for these cans (unbalanced) or the Fiio K5Pro would be a better bet?
IMHO the unbalanced output is inferior to the balanced...660s and ether cX both sound wider and deeper on balanced...this is only regards to the ifi zen dac, haven’t used the fiio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back