iFi micro iDSD Black-Label - In-Depth Review
Dec 13, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #601 of 1,057
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 16, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #602 of 1,057
Hey guys,

I've been having some difficulties trying to get the Micro BL to work with a new IEM cable that I ordered from Alo Audio.

I'm using a 6.35mm to 3.5mm converter so that it works with my 3.5mm Alo cable. It seems that the Alo cable is a 4-pole, mic cable. I don't think there's any issues with my converter as it works perfect when I used another 3-pole 3.5mm IEM cable.

I have attached some pictures showing the cable & converter connections, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: To add on, the Alo IEM cable works perfect with my smartphone too (3 buttons remote control works perfect, sound is good, etc)

15764832580952221504364843360300.jpg

20191216_154934.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #603 of 1,057
Please let us all know how it worked for you!
Just received iFi Micro iDSD BL today, paired with WM1A and HD 650.

First impression... I was stunned with the soundstage delivered by HD 650, so much dynamic and all hidden sound layers with depth now can be heard through this Micro iDSD BL DAC/amplifier ... even the lossy format MP3/WMA sound amazing, needless to say about lossless files ...

A big homework for me to re-listen to all my music collection:D .

Let's listen how Micro iDSD BL perform over time .

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #604 of 1,057
Just received iFi Micro iDSD BL today, paired with WM1A and HD 650.

First impression... I was stunned with the soundstage delivered by HD 650, so much dynamic and all hidden sound layers with depth now can be heard through this Micro iDSD BL DAC/amplifier ... even the lossy format MP3/WMA sound amazing, needless to say about lossless files ...

A big homework for me to re-listen to all my music collection:D .

Let's listen how Micro iDSD BL perform over time .
Did you use the IFI Micro BL as DAC / AMP or just as AMP?

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #605 of 1,057
Did you use the IFI Micro BL as DAC / AMP or just as AMP?
I am using digital output from WM1A, yes, DAC/Amp, trying their dual Burr Brown DAC chips.

There's no line out from WM1A ... can I use WM1A 3.5mm headphone output to 3.5mm analog input to test pure Amp ?

Dec 16, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #607 of 1,057
I am using digital output from WM1A, yes, DAC/Amp, trying their dual Burr Brown DAC chips.

There's no line out from WM1A ... can I use WM1A 3.5mm headphone output to 3.5mm analog input to test pure Amp ?
Great! I'm curious to hear your opinion about which one you prefer now between the WM1A or IFI Micro BL in sound quality?

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #608 of 1,057
Great! I'm curious to hear your opinion about which one you prefer now between the WM1A or IFI Micro BL in sound quality?

I will do a comparison between WM1A and IFI Micro BL before giving my thought. My last Burr Brown DAC chips was Slim Devices Squeezebox v3 (Acquired by Logitech) back in 2006, the sound is sweet.

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #609 of 1,057
I have little confusion about recharging this iDSD Micro BL, is it through USB input or SmartPower USB port with Power OFF ?

If through USB input then I can use the supplied blue USB A female to USB A male cable.

If through SmartPower USB port, I need to order one USB A male to USB male cable connecting to my phone charger.

Kindly advise.

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #610 of 1,057
I have little confusion about recharging this iDSD Micro BL, is it through USB input or SmartPower USB port with Power OFF ?

If through USB input then I can use the supplied blue USB A female to USB A male cable.

If through SmartPower USB port, I need to order one USB A male to USB male cable connecting to my phone charger.

Kindly advise.
Its weird , I charged through the back , from that big weird connection. I had to find a cable to connect to the blue supplied cable.

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #611 of 1,057
Its weird , I charged through the back , from that big weird connection. I had to find a cable to connect to the blue supplied cable.
Correct me if i am wrong ... you meant charge through back is as following configuration ?

iDSD Micro BL (USB Input / USB A Male port) <> Blue USB A female to USB A male (supplied) <> Phone charger (USB A female port)

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #612 of 1,057
Correct me if i am wrong ... you meant charge through back is as following configuration ?

iDSD Micro BL (USB Input / USB A Male port) <> Blue USB A female to USB A male (supplied) <> Phone charger (USB A female port)

the iDSD is charged through the male USB port on the back of the unit. The female USB port on the side of the unit is to charge other devices from the iDSD battery (use as power bank). The “weird” port in the back allows the unit to be directly connected to the Apple CCK or micro usb/ usb-c to female USB A directly from other DAPs or phones. I have these adapters for my phones or daps and they are working perfectly well. Available on Amazon.

for normal desk use you can use the blue cable that is supplied or use the small adapter in the box to convert the female USB-A port into a female USB mini port ( like the typical printer usb cables ).

Dec 16, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #613 of 1,057
the iDSD is charged through the male USB port on the back of the unit. The female USB port on the side of the unit is to charge other devices from the iDSD battery (use as power bank). The “weird” port in the back allows the unit to be directly connected to the Apple CCK or micro usb/ usb-c to female USB A directly from other DAPs or phones. I have these adapters for my phones or daps and they are working perfectly well. Available on Amazon.

for normal desk use you can use the blue cable that is supplied or use the small adapter in the box to convert the female USB-A port into a female USB mini port ( like the typical printer usb cables ).
Thanks for your detail explanation. Will explore more multi-function of this device :D

Dec 18, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #615 of 1,057

@Cat Music it is too tough to call which sound quality I prefer between these two devices . After few critical listening eg. 52nd Street - The Body Acoustic from Chesky Records 10 Best

IMO, it depends on music genres, for Classical and Jazz music , I would prefer through iDSD Micro BL Burr Brown DAC, slightly wider soundstage aka frequency range , more sub bass ...

For modern music genres, such as pop, dance, new age, I would prefer analog output from WM1A to iDSD Micro BL, better clarity especially on the mid range frequency at 2kHz.

I like both sound signature, each has their own style of presentation .20191218_220849.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back