iFi iPurifier 2 - Reviews, Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 22, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #181 of 592

I went straight to this setup along with the iFi Gemini cable (1.5 m). It noticeably increased (maybe maximized to the DAC's specs) the dynamic range. All details, instrument placement and soundstage are better focused. Plus I can plug it in any of the USB ports without a difference in sound unlike the USB straight to the DAC solution.

Waiting for my iPurifier2 (backordered) and Mercury cable to arrive. Hope to hear some improvements and get closer to maximizing potential of my setup.

Already have pretty clean usb on my PC (100% fanless including PSU with separate 5V rail and motherboard with isolated 5V to usb) so I doubt I'd need the Gemini cable or iUSB3.

Jan 22, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #182 of 592
That's good to know. Mine is Surface Pro 3 which has the USB port next to the fans. I notice that my DAC sounded less dynamic with a bloated bass while it sounded great using the Surface Dock. I presume more power and less noise. Since I needed to use the SP3 without the dock, I decided to go straight to the iUSB 3.0 + Gemini cable with Straight Wire USB 2.0 cable connecting the SP3 to the iUSB 3.0. With this, the sound improvement is noticeable but not groundbreaking compared to the surface dock power hub: same amount of detail to my ears, but much easier to notice due to slightly better instrument placement and higher dynamic range.

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #184 of 592
  There are to be USB B versions of the iP2 be manufactured (also USB C and USB micro) but I am not sure when they will be available but I guess you could ask.

Partial update:
  1. USB A is the next socket option to be released and is planned for March.
  2. USB micro will be released later but there's no set date yet.

(I spoke with iFi over PM
smile.gif
)
I got my unit 2 days ago - will post impressions later
beerchug.gif
M.

Jan 23, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #185 of 592

If you don't mind me asking, what brand and type PSU and motherboard?

Used a Seasonic Fanless PSU and MSI Z87 Gaming motherboard. I've built a half-dozen PCs with those PSUs (all their fanless models have the same core design) and some MSI boards have a feature called USB Audio Power. There are also several Gigabyte boards with a similar feature called USB DAC-UP. Both provide cleaner power to the USB ports for DAC use but the Gigabytes also have the ability to turn off power to it's one isolated port in the bios (so that usb port becomes data only).

Here's an older thread about those boards/features:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/693825/a-motherboard-with-usb-dacs-in-mind

Partial update:
  1. USB A is the next socket option to be released and is planned for March.
  2. USB micro will be released later but there's no set date yet.

(I spoke with iFi over PM
smile.gif
)
I got my unit 2 days ago - will post impressions later
beerchug.gif
M.

I ordered the USB A model for my iDSD Micro. Was hoping to get it next month but guess not.

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #186 of 592
have a USB A ordered back from November....  its a real shame ifi is supporting the idsd in this fashion....   they had to know this was going to be an issue...  pretty disappointed in them for this... at least 5 month wait time...

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #187 of 592
i am the waiting list too for my micro dsd. my dealer said ifi did not expect the demand for the purifier 2 as the really high end customers also are using it as they sold to DCs customers and the sales caught them off. They are only just catching with the usb b connection type. hopefully they can start on the usb a type now they caugfht up as i want too

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #190 of 592
I have a iFi USB power and a newly acquired iPurifier 2.My DAC is a mains powered Chord 2Qute.Should the iPurifier go before or
after the USB power? I've followed the thread but I'm easily confused! Thanks.

Feb 15, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #193 of 592
I have a iFi USB power and a newly acquired iPurifier 2.My DAC is a mains powered Chord 2Qute.Should the iPurifier go before or
after the USB power? I've followed the thread but I'm easily confused! Thanks.
iFi recommends you put the iPurifier before the iUSB unless your DAC draws absolutely no power from USB (including even a "handshake").

Feb 18, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #194 of 592
Hello All,

While I am waiting on the great people over at iFI Audio tech support, thought I would post a couple of observations I am seeing with my new setup having replaced a non DSD M2TECH Young DAC with my new IDAC2 which I have to say, I am loving the sound!!
redface.gif

My setup is as follows:

PC running JRiver MC 21 --> Mercury --> IP2 --> iUSB2 --> Gemini --> iDAC2

Question I have, is about the LED lights on the iDAC2 and iP2. How have you all seen these LEDs display based on your usage? For example, should the play light remain lit on the iDAC2 when no audio is being streamed from the PC? Mine always seems to remain on and colored to the last audio resolution file played back. So for example, if I played a 16/44/1kHz file, it will remain green even though I stopped playback on JRiver.

Also, should both lights (Green and Blue) on the iP2 always remain in an on state when no audio is being played back from the PC? I would expect the iP2 power light to be on drawing power from PC but not the data light when no playback is happening.

Last but not least, does anyone hear a little electrical hiss noise when listening to quiet passages of music in the background at a higher volume level using headphones? I guess I expected a truly dark black background especially given the setup I have which I have to confess, I was using iPhone earbuds (!) for my test but still expected things to be quieter in the background.

Anyone experiencing similar behaviors? Looking forward to your feedback in advance...

Cheers,
Vin.

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #195 of 592
Hi IFI thread, My chain is Sammy S5- cheap OTG ADAPTER -1.5 SUPRA- IFI IPURIFIER 2- OPPO HA1- ETHERS.
Have to say I never expected much from just a phone in improvement. Maybe from a HDdrive Laptop.
I run Onkyo player and just today SEIUN player beta from play store. (The Seiun DAP thread, from IDGG) waiting for the new transport and Amp.
But with the S5 /ONKYO PLAYER + chain.
I have been suprised with the extra clarity Bass and sound stage. It does feel as if the ETHERS have gone up another level. The highs seem a little smoother around the edges but more pronounced. A new level of BASS has kicked in and sound stage seems more out to the left and right.
Sorry I haven't got audiophile terminological referencing down yet.
If I had to say as a percentage boost to fidelity 10 to 15%.
Since my ETHERS Burned in I have become a detail fiend.. For the moment I am enjoying the songs that really open up so much more detail. Than just a personal favourite..
I looked at 5 products as a USB cleaner,
With these guys being just 15 miles from my childhood home I had to try this first. I am glad I did.
One small issue is the loose fitting into the back of my OPPO HA1. With my Supra AB wobbles the ifi quite a bit. I wasn't sure about adding a mini B to B cable. But keep the chain to a minimum...
But as a tweak, I am very happy with this in the chain, like a super model millionairess GF it's definitely a keeper.
Here and computer Audiophile have perked my interest with other manufacturers offerings in combination..

But thanks IFI for my mini upgrade. You have some special engineers.
Like Thales...iUSB power is on my Radar....

Good luck all and keep smiling
Dave the audio noob..
Whiston Merseyside non-scouse..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back