iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Sep 1, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #8,041 of 9,047
So re-installed 5.2B, it still has the playback issue, however, I am starting to think that it may be correlating with movement. If I have the player/phone on my lap while listening on a recliner, I started to notice that if the player or phone moves a bit, the issue seems more prevalent. This is just a theory, and not 100% correlation :wink: . I have a new camera CK cable coming to see if maybe that cable went flaky.

Sep 1, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #8,042 of 9,047
Note the bold text in below press release. Now perhaps I'm reading between the lines...but "prototype" doesn't sound like there will be a path to MQA via software upgrade...

IFA 2017: MQA EXPANDS GLOBAL REACH ON SMARTPHONE, PORTABLE DEVICES & MUSIC SERVICES

London / Berlin, 31 August 2017 – Music technology company, MQA, announces a breadth of partnership news at the IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin. Developed for convenient delivery and unmatched audio quality, MQA technology will now be embedded in LG’s new V30 smartphone, the first globally available MQA-enabled handset. MQA music playback will also be available on the two latest portable devices from Sony’s iconic Walkman brand, the WM-ZX300 and WM-A40 models. Both portable players are capable of playing back downloaded MQA music.

Said MQA CEO, Mike Jbara, of the latest news, “Our announcements at IFA illustrate the global presence and diverse footprint of MQA. We’re inspired by the energy and enthusiasm of our partners to keep pushing the opportunities to access master quality audio.”

New MQA Streaming Partners

Korean-based hi-res streaming service, Groovers, has confirmed it is working on MQA mobile and desktop implementation for its platform, due to launch by the end of 2017. This follows recent news from b2b digital music solutions provider, 7digital, that it will be powering a forthcoming hi-res streaming service, HDmusicStream, using MQA technology to deliver studio quality audio.

Current live music download partner, nugs.net, offers thousands of on-demand concerts from artists including Metallica, Bruce Springsteen and Dead & Company. This autumn, the nugs.net HiFi tier will offer MQA streaming on iOS and desktop players.

MQA Music Availability Grows

Universal Music Group, the world-leader in music-based entertainment, is working closely with MQA to encode its vast library of recordings in MQA's technology.

Further reinforcing MQA’s mobile footprint expansion, Pioneer and Onkyo will be showcasing TIDAL Masters mobile streaming on their latest Digital Audio Players, the XDP-30R and DP-S1 models, at the IFA trade fair.

Sonic Studio’s Amarra Luxe 4.1 media player, enabling all the benefits of the MQA experience for local playback and streaming of high resolution music, is scheduled for release in September 2017.

On the download front, Japan-based music store, e-onkyo music, has announced the expansion of their MQA music offering, with the addition of Warner Music Group’s hi-res catalogue in MQA, which will be available for the first time in the region in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, Onkyo Music store, which serves Germany, UK and the US, will also be offering MQA music, as it rolls out a redesigned store front throughout September. Existing download stores, including HIGHRESAUDIO, continue to add more MQA music as it becomes available.

Hi-Res Keynote Features MQA

MQA’s CEO, Mike Jbara, will take part in a keynote discussion at IFA, organised by the Digital Entertainment Group (DEG) and hosted by Sony Electronics, on Friday 1 September at 14:00 [Hall 20 101]. “The Future of Hi-Res Audio” panel will also feature Morvan Boury (VP, Global Business Development, Sony Music Entertainment), Michael Drexler (VP, Digital Strategy at Warner Music), and Bill Gagnon (UMG’s SVP Business Development) as fellow panelists.

MQA will be supporting partner demonstrations at this year’s IFA, including new MQA hardware partner, iFi Audio, who will be showing their prototype micro iDSD Black Label DAC featuring MQA integration.

-Ends-

MQA Press Contacts lisa@mqa.co.uk | sarah@mqa.co.uk

Press Site for MQA www.mqa.co.uk/press2

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #8,044 of 9,047
Regarding MQA, there may be hope yet. iFi had posted in the Computer Audio website something a bit cryptic, but may allude to upgrade via software: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/27776-mqa-support/
The post is a bit over a year old so it may no longer have any relevance. I haven't pursued anything related to MQA but having just ordered a new Black Label using that nice Adorama deal, adding to the iDSD silver that I already have, such an upgrade may get me to dip my toes in the MQA pool.

BTW, @guerph : thanks so much for the heads-up about the Adorama sale! I've been lusting ever since I'd listened to the iFi demo unit some of us Head-Fi-ers were fortunate enough to evaluate when it was first released.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #8,045 of 9,047
Hmm... my impression is that for MQA, the "hardware" itself needs to be able to "unpack" the source too. Otherwise, you can still use MQA source but up to certain level of unpacking (at software level) and not "complete" MQA unpacking

It's still unclear I suppose if current BL is MQA-ready at "hardware" level. But if it's software level, perhaps doesn't really require a "new" product unveiling?

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #8,047 of 9,047
Hey guys, am having an issue with my idsd BL. There's a weird volume imbalance issue, and though I personally cannot hear it, i've seen people on this forum talk about it AND another person who has heard my idsd BL DOES hear it. You guys who had similar issues, what did you do? (i know the issue is usually only specific to when the volume knob is at a very low level, so you could just avoid doing that).

Sep 6, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #8,049 of 9,047
Hey guys, am having an issue with my idsd BL. There's a weird volume imbalance issue, and though I personally cannot hear it, i've seen people on this forum talk about it AND another person who has heard my idsd BL DOES hear it. You guys who had similar issues, what did you do? (i know the issue is usually only specific to when the volume knob is at a very low level, so you could just avoid doing that).
Happens on my unit too. I avoid the issue by listening to music loudly.

Sep 6, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #8,053 of 9,047
Note the bold text in below press release. Now perhaps I'm reading between the lines...but "prototype" doesn't sound like there will be a path to MQA via software upgrade...

IFA 2017: MQA EXPANDS GLOBAL REACH ON SMARTPHONE, PORTABLE DEVICES & MUSIC SERVICES

London / Berlin, 31 August 2017 – Music technology company, MQA, announces a breadth of partnership news at the IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin. Developed for convenient delivery and unmatched audio quality, MQA technology will now be embedded in LG’s new V30 smartphone, the first globally available MQA-enabled handset. MQA music playback will also be available on the two latest portable devices from Sony’s iconic Walkman brand, the WM-ZX300 and WM-A40 models. Both portable players are capable of playing back downloaded MQA music.

Said MQA CEO, Mike Jbara, of the latest news, “Our announcements at IFA illustrate the global presence and diverse footprint of MQA. We’re inspired by the energy and enthusiasm of our partners to keep pushing the opportunities to access master quality audio.”

New MQA Streaming Partners

Korean-based hi-res streaming service, Groovers, has confirmed it is working on MQA mobile and desktop implementation for its platform, due to launch by the end of 2017. This follows recent news from b2b digital music solutions provider, 7digital, that it will be powering a forthcoming hi-res streaming service, HDmusicStream, using MQA technology to deliver studio quality audio.

Current live music download partner, nugs.net, offers thousands of on-demand concerts from artists including Metallica, Bruce Springsteen and Dead & Company. This autumn, the nugs.net HiFi tier will offer MQA streaming on iOS and desktop players.

MQA Music Availability Grows

Universal Music Group, the world-leader in music-based entertainment, is working closely with MQA to encode its vast library of recordings in MQA's technology.

Further reinforcing MQA’s mobile footprint expansion, Pioneer and Onkyo will be showcasing TIDAL Masters mobile streaming on their latest Digital Audio Players, the XDP-30R and DP-S1 models, at the IFA trade fair.

Sonic Studio’s Amarra Luxe 4.1 media player, enabling all the benefits of the MQA experience for local playback and streaming of high resolution music, is scheduled for release in September 2017.

On the download front, Japan-based music store, e-onkyo music, has announced the expansion of their MQA music offering, with the addition of Warner Music Group’s hi-res catalogue in MQA, which will be available for the first time in the region in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, Onkyo Music store, which serves Germany, UK and the US, will also be offering MQA music, as it rolls out a redesigned store front throughout September. Existing download stores, including HIGHRESAUDIO, continue to add more MQA music as it becomes available.

Hi-Res Keynote Features MQA

MQA’s CEO, Mike Jbara, will take part in a keynote discussion at IFA, organised by the Digital Entertainment Group (DEG) and hosted by Sony Electronics, on Friday 1 September at 14:00 [Hall 20 101]. “The Future of Hi-Res Audio” panel will also feature Morvan Boury (VP, Global Business Development, Sony Music Entertainment), Michael Drexler (VP, Digital Strategy at Warner Music), and Bill Gagnon (UMG’s SVP Business Development) as fellow panelists.

MQA will be supporting partner demonstrations at this year’s IFA, including new MQA hardware partner, iFi Audio, who will be showing their prototype micro iDSD Black Label DAC featuring MQA integration.

-Ends-

MQA Press Contacts lisa@mqa.co.uk | sarah@mqa.co.uk

Press Site for MQA www.mqa.co.uk/press2

Hmm... my impression is that for MQA, the "hardware" itself needs to be able to "unpack" the source too. Otherwise, you can still use MQA source but up to certain level of unpacking (at software level) and not "complete" MQA unpacking

It's still unclear I suppose if current BL is MQA-ready at "hardware" level. But if it's software level, perhaps doesn't really require a "new" product unveiling?

Honestly, the above quote (bold), SOUNDS a LOT like they're going to introduce a "new version" of idsd BL...which is a bit unfortunate AND kind of a slap in the face to customers who already bought the idsd BL as said product is not that old to begin with.

Sep 6, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #8,054 of 9,047
Honestly, the above quote (bold), SOUNDS a LOT like they're going to introduce a "new version" of idsd BL...which is a bit unfortunate AND kind of a slap in the face to customers who already bought the idsd BL as said product is not that old to begin with.

They haven't said no to a software upgrade, but admit that it won't be easy, if even possible. I'm certainly considering returning my micro iDSD while the window is still open.

Sep 6, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #8,055 of 9,047
They haven't said no to a software upgrade, but admit that it won't be easy, if even possible. I'm certainly considering returning my micro iDSD while the window is still open.
The thing to do would be to allow idsd BL owners to return their unit (maybe charge some extra?) for an "upgraded unit". Even if it's a hardware that needs to be added it won't be THAT difficult. They prbly won't do that, though i've seen one or two times companies have done this, it seems REALLY rare.

Else at LEAST call the one with MQA like iDSD BL+ or something, make it more expensive...i mean that STILL sucks (like the time i bought an LGG6 and the G6+ came out like 1 week later), but at least it's not the SAME device.

iFI if you're seeing this: do the upgrade thing!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back