iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jan 16, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #7,381 of 9,047
What's the best portable music player to pair with the Micro iDSD if I want to use the player only as source of the music? 

I just got the xdp-100r but the dongle USB cable just came in NZ I haven't tried it yet. I'll let you know. I can tell you on its own with the fostex th900 is no where near as good a the MacBook pro ifi micro fostex setup.

Jan 16, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #7,382 of 9,047
I just got the xdp-100r but the dongle USB cable just came in NZ I haven't tried it yet. I'll let you know. I can tell you on its own with the fostex th900 is no where near as good a the MacBook pro ifi micro fostex setup.

Thanks. Looking forward to hear  how it compares to the MacBook pro ifi micro fostex setup. Also what does NZ mean?

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #7,385 of 9,047
Thanks. Looking forward to hear  how it compares to the MacBook pro ifi micro fostex setup. Also what does NZ mean?

UPDATE: sounds just as good, my fault with wrong settings!!
Somehow the iem sensitivity button moved and made the headphones sound really bad.

I don't understand, I'm really disappointed right now.
I set the Pioneer XDP-100R to DoP, I was getting the aqua color led when playing dsd but the sound...
It was piercing through my ears.
Compared to the MacBook, it sounded terrible.
I thought a transport was a transport and nothing else.
I was also playing Phill Collins "I don't care anymore" 24/96 and on the Mac it gave me goosebumps, on the xdp it gave me ear pain which I still feel as I'm writing this.
I don't know if is something I did wrong, I don't know if Audirvana has some kind of eq/filter on Mac which makes it sound better; but as of now I'm returning this thing.
Or maybe there is a different app I should try... but I can't because the damn thing already died...
I really want a dedicated dap, but it's not working out.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #7,386 of 9,047
I don't understand, I'm really disappointed right now.
I set the Pioneer XDP-100R to DoP, I was getting the aqua color led when playing dsd but the sound...
It was piercing through my ears.
Compared to the MacBook, it sounded terrible.
I thought a transport was a transport and nothing else.
I was also playing Phill Collins "I don't care anymore" 24/96 and on the Mac it gave me goosebumps, on the xdp it gave me ear pain which I still feel as I'm writing this.
I don't know if is something I did wrong, I don't know if Audirvana has some kind of eq/filter on Mac which makes it sound better; but as of now I'm returning this thing.
Or maybe there is a different app I should try... but I can't because the damn thing already died...
I really want a dedicated dap, but it's not working out.

It would be great if the iFi team could respond to this.

Jan 17, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #7,388 of 9,047
I've used my iPod Touch 6th gen with my iDSD Micro and the combo works great. Absolutely plug and play with the Apple CCK cable. That combo sounds exactly the same as compared to my desktop PC setup with which I also use my iDSD with. 

I'm also a dedicated Spotify user, which was why I bought the iPod for my portable player. It was by far the cheapest option for a Spotify capable portable DAP. I just download all my favorite music at home when I'm connected to my wifi, then I can listen on the go. 

I honestly don't use the iDSD often with it, as it's a little too big for me for portable use. But I bought the CCK cable just so I could use it every now and then and have found that it works awesome. Most of the time I just stack my E12 amp with the iPod. Not quite the same level of sound quality, but it gets the job done in a much smaller package. 

One of my favorite things about the iDSD is it's versatility. It's so nice having the option to take my desktop DAC/AMP out on the go with me if/when I want to. When stacked with my iPod I get the exact same level of amazing sound quality as I do when I'm at home using my PC. Very cool. Combine that with the 3 gain levels, and the IEMatch, and you have a deadly piece of kit that works perfect for everything from sensitive IEM's on up to hard to drive monster cans. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #7,390 of 9,047

I made an update, xdp-100r is just as good as playing from my MacBook Pro.
The only thing that's annoying (correct me if I'm wrong) I have to unplug the USB cable to make sure the idsd doesn't drain the xdp. Is that correct?

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #7,391 of 9,047
The only thing that's annoying (correct me if I'm wrong) I have to unplug the USB cable to make sure the idsd doesn't drain the xdp. Is that correct?

If I recall correctly, iFi released a software option for which the unit won't drain device's battery

Otherwise, yes. Turning on the unit before connecting will force it to use in battery mode

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #7,392 of 9,047

I'm not sure but the way I understand it, if you turn the iDSD before plugging it in to the device it will run off of it's own battery. If you turn it on after plugging it into the device, it will use the devices battery life. Finally, if you leave it plugged in after turning it off, I believe it will drain the xdp's battery. This is me just thinking logically.

Though, when I leave it plugged into to my MacBook after turning it off, it seems to only charge if I have my laptop open, as well. When the laptop's open, there's a blue light. When it's closed, the iDSD led doesn't have a color,

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #7,393 of 9,047
Hi,

for those of you who might be interested, the links for the burn-in files are broken now:

http://ifi-audio.com/audio_blog/burn-in-like-a-pro/

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #7,394 of 9,047
  Hi,

for those of you who might be interested, the links for the burn-in files are broken now:

http://ifi-audio.com/audio_blog/burn-in-like-a-pro/

wow i didn't know about these...damn hope they come back soon.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #7,395 of 9,047
For those using the iDSD with a dap/smartphone here's something you can read up to;
http://ifi-audio.com/micro-idsd-ifi-xmos-firmware/

Quoted from the page
"and sub-version 5.2B:

2) This is strictly for Smartphone users ONLY, there is no other reason to use 5.2B on the micro iDSD BL & micro iDSD.
• The micro iDSD BL & micro iDSD will try to recharge while in Sleep Mode (e.g. when connected to a PC). If connected to a Smartphone which is ‘seen’ as a computer, it will recharge via the Smartphone.
• 5.2B disables the Sleep Mode within the micro iDSD BL & micro iDSD; hence it will no longer try to recharge during Sleep Mode and flatten the Smartphone’s battery."

Hope it helps
Bilson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back