iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Aug 17, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #6,706 of 9,047
I'm about to get an iDSD and saw the complains about delay before play. Is this an issue for MAC users? I'm wondering if I should reconsider.

I'm in the same boat and think I'll just get a new dac to combine with my project polaris. Delays like that would annoy me into throwing the thing against the wall. 

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #6,707 of 9,047
BTW I noticed something.

In here, it says;
Normal mode5.5V/1,900 mW @ 16 Ohm>950 mW @ 32 Ohm

...but when you open this topic, it says;
Normal mode4.0V/1,000mW@16Ohm> 500 mW @ 32 Ohm8 hours

...and when you open their manual, it says;
Normal (4.0V/1,000 mW @ 16 Ohm)

@iFi audio which one's true? I'm really confused about this. 
regular_smile .gif

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #6,708 of 9,047
  Firmware 5.2B, no problem for me... I have notebook W10 64bit

Finally got rid ot this delay problem !!!
smily_headphones1.gif

The solution was simple:
  1. Flashing 5.2B firmware
  2. Set 44100 kHz audio format frequency via Windows output sound (for iDSD icon), because I always set 192000 before.

Now, I can enjoy finally no more delay while switching between foobar and youtube, or whatever I try.
Where it's strange is that I already tried to flash 5.2B, as I said without any luck about this delay problem, but I think combined to the second trick, it did it.
So in conclusion, it seems the deep sleep mode added into 5.20 is causing the delay problem for some, mainly.

Glad I finally sorted this out! thanks to iFi Team and DarktoreS for the help!

Sometimes, with some rigs, musicality is more important than the technicality.

+1
I tried my HD800 coupled with a Sabre ES9023, and I found this combinaison to be a bit overall harsh and agressive sometimes. It fatigues listening for long period. Quite the contrary with the iDSD which is more all about musicality, you can listen to it many hours without with pleasure, although it does not lack any details at all. Moreover I'm always leaving the filter standard position, which I prefer so far.

Btw, just received today my Furutech GT2 Pro USB 2.0 cable, and I confirm that switching from stock iDSD cable to the Furutech is a total bargain.
I think I will have my final setup for a while now : Furutech GT2 Pro USB cable > iDSD > Forza Noir Hybrid HPC cable > HD800
beyersmile.png

Cheers'

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #6,709 of 9,047
  BTW I noticed something.

In here, it says;
Normal mode5.5V/1,900 mW @ 16 Ohm>950 mW @ 32 Ohm

...but when you open this topic, it says;
Normal mode4.0V/1,000mW@16Ohm> 500 mW @ 32 Ohm8 hours

...and when you open their manual, it says;
Normal (4.0V/1,000 mW @ 16 Ohm)

@iFi audio which one's true? I'm really confused about this. 
regular_smile .gif

I noticed something very similar in the iCan Pro thread. I agree it makes no sense having specs all over the place.

Check out this post and the one after it where iFi explains how they measure:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/702376/ifi-audio-pro-desktop-line-discussion-thread/1365#post_12790893

Aug 17, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #6,710 of 9,047

I noticed something very similar in the iCan Pro thread. I agree it makes no sense having specs all over the place.

Check out this post and the one after it where iFi explains how they measure:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/702376/ifi-audio-pro-desktop-line-discussion-thread/1365#post_12790893

Hmm... But in that thread ohms are not specified but this time there are ohm values. If something gives 1.000mWs at 16 Ohm, it always gives that. Probably one of those are typo. Let's see. 
blink.gif

Aug 17, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #6,711 of 9,047
I'm in the same boat and think I'll just get a new dac to combine with my project polaris. Delays like that would annoy me into throwing the thing against the wall. 

From the helpful responses it seems it isn't an issue for everyone. Which is great. And @subwoof3r seemed to have solved it.

Aug 18, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #6,713 of 9,047
Originally Posted by chillaxing /img/forum/go_quote.gif

can't seem to find it, can someone put up the link for 5.2b update?

Here is the link to the firmware 5.2B.

Finally got rid ot this delay problem !!!
smily_headphones1.gif

The solution was simple:
  1. Flashing 5.2B firmware
  2. Set 44100 kHz audio format frequency via Windows output sound (for iDSD icon), because I always set 192000 before.

This has been rumored before to be the right solution.
I'm glad it worked for you but I'll tell you why I don't see this as a proper solution.

1. The very words the manufacturer uses to advertise firmware 5.2B:

Strict quote from firmware 5.2B official download page, here:
and sub-version 5.2B:

2) This is strictly for Smartphone users ONLY, there is no other reason to use 5.2B on the micro iDSD.

I feel there's no need to stress out why THEY felt the need to use "strictly", then to capitalize "only" and then follow it with "there is no other reason".
I (despite being very upset about the delay) trust the manufacturer knows what is saying and I'm not going to update if I'm not using a smartphone. 

As I am using Micro iDSD on PC computers only, I'm personally not interested in having degraded sonic qualities to get rid of the delay.
I'd rather get rid of the device causing the delay, considering it as a breach of that particular (initial) trust.

2. I happen to have a lot of music in formats higher than 44.1Hz, namely 96Hz and 192Hz and down-sampling to 44.1Hz is definitely a no-go for me.

Seems to me that I have to pick both of the 2 evils. 
No thanks, I'll pass.

P.S.

That would be a solution, for me, if iFi  would modify the change log of version 5.2B.
Modify it to underline the fact that there's no loss in sonic quality between 5.2 and 5.2B when using anything but a smartphone.

If that should happen, besides being fishy, it would render 5.2B as being less Smartphone ONLY,  but more:
- "there is another reason, no more (less optional) harmless delay (on PC computers ONLY)" too. 
Obviously, claims would then have to be put under test.
And if proven to be true, it would indeed be a solution.

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #6,714 of 9,047
And @subwoof3r seemed to have solved it.

Exactly, but the only remain cons for me is the deep sleep disabled, because I use it a lot, but I prefer to deal with this and get rid of those delay problems :)

2. I happen to have a lot of music in formats higher than 44.1Hz, namely 96Hz and 192Hz and down-sampling to 44.1Hz is definitely a no-go for me.

That shouldn't be a major problem since I think our web browsers does not support more than 44100 kHz, so if you are listening to Tidal for example, I don't think it will goes up to that value anyway (unless I'm wrong?).
Setting 44100 like I said previously in windows sound output (iFi icon section), won't affect and really lock your iDSD to 44100 kHz, since wasapi/asio will change it dynamically.
I just tried to read a DSD64 and switch between youtube: there is approx 0.3ms of delay, which is the exact value as ifi team posted here recently, it is the normal iDSD behaviour as they explained previously.
Cheers'

Aug 18, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #6,715 of 9,047
I've all of my music stored in my computer(s) as actual files.

So for me it's about switching between foobar2000/other video & audio players, browsers, video/music editing software etc.

What are your settings in the iFi's app, 2nd tab, namely USB Streaming Mode & ASIO Buffer Size?

Aug 18, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #6,716 of 9,047

What are your settings in the iFi's app, 2nd tab, namely USB Streaming Mode & ASIO Buffer Size?

Everything stock. Never touched anything from iFi panel, but only via Foobar.
Here are all my settings :

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/911174Capture.png
http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/961865Sanstitre.png
http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/288108Capture2.png

Cheers'

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #6,717 of 9,047
This is an interesting find, what Windows are you using?
My reports below are on Windows 7 x64.

1. I don't have ASIO module in my foobar, did you install it separately?

2. I only have 16 and 24 bit, no 32 bit in iFi Properties, why do you think that is?

3. Connected the iFi to another PC computer (to which iFi has been installed before, used the same USB port in the back of the monitor)
Identical situation, 16 & 24bit only.

4. On the same 2nd PC computer, changed the USB port to one found at the back of the mainboard.
Automatically detected & installed drivers.
Still 16 & 24bit only.

P.S. #1

Reinstalling drivers didn't work.
Also, there's a bit of a story here:
- I turned the unit off (still connected to USB); I uninstalled the drivers 
- restarted the computer as asked 
- upon restart, Windows detected iFi but couldn't automatically install the drivers
- ran the v2.26.exe driver file, it reported to have installed correctly & iFi icon appeared in tray (reported no present device)
- iFi still had a missing driver icon (exclamation mark) in Device Manager
- tried again running the driver .exe file (same thing happened)
- renamed .exe to .zip -> copied the files found there in a folder
- pointed the iFi in Device Manger to manually update the driver from folder
- correctly identified & working (but with 16 & 24bit, just as before, as shown below)

P.S. #2

I only have the official v2.26.exe iFi drivers installed, those that can be found here.
Are there any other drivers to be installed...?

Aug 19, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #6,718 of 9,047
1. I don't have ASIO module in my foobar, did you install it separately?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments/4170#post_11779584

:cool:

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #6,719 of 9,047
Thank you for you reply,

I had to install ASIOProxy, found here to get foo_dsd_asio to display in ASIO drivers.

Latest version is 0.9.2 and looks like this (don't know if there's anything wrong there):

In the SACD tab, the PCM settings seem to be fine:

...while the DSD options are greyed out:

Does anyone know why?

DSD plays fine though.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #6,720 of 9,047
Finally got rid ot this delay problem !!! :)

The solution was simple:
  • Flashing 5.2B firmware
  • Set 44100 kHz audio format frequency via Windows output sound (for iDSD icon), because I always set 192000 before.
I tried my HD800 coupled with a Sabre ES9023, and I found this combinaison to be a bit overall harsh and agressive sometimes. It fatigues listening for long period. Quite the contrary with the iDSD which is more all about musicality, you can listen to it many hours without with pleasure, although it does not lack any details at all. Moreover I'm always leaving the filter standard position, which I prefer so far.

Btw, just received today my Furutech GT2 Pro USB 2.0 cable, and I confirm that switching from stock iDSD cable to the Furutech is a total bargain.
I think I will have my final setup for a while now : Furutech GT2 Pro USB cable > iDSD > Forza Noir Hybrid HPC cable > HD800 :beyersmile:
Cheers'

the hd800 is pretty strong on the upper frequencies. add this to the sabre which is similar and you get lots of treble emphases. too much for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back