iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Aug 16, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #6,692 of 9,047

As you have done this then you have eliminated the firmware as the cause. Because if the problem persists with firmware 5.XB and was present with an iDAC2 then it is DEFINITELY NOT firmware related.

The issue would be in the PC setup. We use both iDAC2 micro and iDSD micro with youtube etc. and it does not take 3 - 5 seconds before music plays. 

The first appx. 0.1 to 0.3 seconds may be cut off if the track playing forces a sample rate change, as the iDSD micro cannot adapt 'instantly.'

For J-River simple set "play silence for hardware synchronisation" to on. 

For windows own sound system (or Mac's own sound system simply set default sample rate to match that of audio normally playing.)

An issue can happen if system sounds are 48khz sample rate files and Audio is 44.1kHz. Then the DAC constantly switches sample rates. Best disable system sounds under this condition.

Please don't forget the PC and its software needs configuring too, not just the micro iDSD.

Thanks for your answer, appreciated.

Already tried to disable inboard sound card via BIOS, to let only iDSD but same problem unfortunately.
I just tried your tweak and set same 44.1kHz frequency to both foobar and windows sound: here also, same problem.
I don't see what could be wrong into my windows, as I don't install much apps, and Avast is not the cause if it (tried also of course).

Anyway, I'm planning to fully formatting my Windows 10 for a clean fresh install soon (for the fun), so I will update this case. Hopefully it will finally fix this problem definitely.

Aug 16, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #6,693 of 9,047

Thanks for your answer, appreciated.

Already tried to disable inboard sound card via BIOS, to let only iDSD but same problem unfortunately.
I just tried your tweak and set same 44.1kHz frequency to both foobar and windows sound: here also, same problem.
I don't see what could be wrong into my windows, as I don't install much apps, and Avast is not the cause if it (tried also of course).

Anyway, I'm planning to fully formatting my Windows 10 for a clean fresh install soon (for the fun), so I will update this case. Hopefully it will finally fix this problem definitely.

In foobar are you using asio or wasapi?

And against the idsd device settings in windows have you said the idsd supports dolby digital, dts or anything like that?

I'd also reset the idsd drivers settings back to default from the ifi icon on the status bar.

Aug 16, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #6,694 of 9,047

I'm not trying to discourage you but I have 4 PC computers in my home (all running Windows 7 x64) + one Macbook Pro.

One of them has a fresh (drivers only, no apps except foobar2000 + Chrome installed) Windows 7 x64 installed (including all updates).
The issue persists on all of 'em, no matter what settings I change in BIOS, Windows, drivers, etc.

It's true that I didn't try it on the Macbook, but it wouldn't help me very much since that computer only gathers dust.
For the sake of completeness I should try it there too.

I hope that Windows 10 clean install will work for you.
Which in turn could mean that it's a Windows 7 issue that maybe could be isolated and even fixed.

I'm very interested in getting to the bottom of this before the presumptive firmware update fix, because I find it dismally irritating.

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #6,696 of 9,047
Is there a fix for audio not working on Chrome? I am using my mbp 10.11.6 OSX and do not get any sort of audio using Chrome. It does work with Safari and Firefox. I have tried disabling flash on Chrome but no dice.

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #6,697 of 9,047
I'm about to get an iDSD and saw the complains about delay before play. Is this an issue for MAC users? I'm wondering if I should reconsider.

Aug 17, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #6,702 of 9,047
My experience with Windows, especially USB audio, is that the results are different even using the same drivers and applications. The differences are due to whether the installation started with a "fresh" audio driver or if various other USB audio drivers and system updates have been applied. If anyone has a method to "reset" USB audio drivers to install new ones fresh (other than fresh install of Windows), I think that would be very useful.

Unbelievable that Microsoft still doesn't have USB 2.0 audio built into the base OS like Macs do.

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #6,705 of 9,047
  Sometimes, with some rigs, musicality is more important than the technicality. In those cases Mojo can be better.

I think it comes down to portability, it suck to carry around the iDSD compare to my other DAC/AMP, after everyone go to sleep i use the iDSD where i only get up to use the bathroom or get something to drink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back