iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 3, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #5,716 of 9,047
Yes, you are right. i hadn t  configured Foobar2k correctly. Now, the ifi LED lit as it should !  Thanks for your help guys !
wink_face.gif

Now back to the sound evaluation...

For instance,  a track from a CD sounds a bit better on ifi micro iDSD (using its DAC through USB connection) than just its Amp section ( passing by the DAC - 3.5 mm jack input). This is the case when EQ is set to "none".
Now, when EQ is set according to my preferences the i prefer the result without the ifi DAC section.
The question is, can I use both ifi DAC section and an EQ at the same time ? I see Foobar2k has an EQ option but i didnt think this EQ was as good as the one in Win 7. And on top of that, i use Spotify a lot and  Win 7 dont give me the EQ option when I pass by the internal laptop DAC.

I even had a chance to check my DSD tracks on foobar2k against the same tracks from Spotify (320kbps). I think DSD now sounds better. But at the same time they sound different. Vocals are closer to you on Spotify , it is like closed headphones to open ones. So, the soundstage seems to be much better but again this may be a difference between Spotify vs Foobar2k playback software, and not a difference between DAC superiority. I wonder how do you compare Foobar2k vs JMRiver ? Is there a difference in sound quality ?

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #5,720 of 9,047
but Mediabridge does not seem to produce usb 3.0 

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-USB-2-0-Extension-Gold-Plated/dp/B002KNI796/ref=sr_1_cc_5?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1459773113&sr=1-5-catcorr&keywords=MediaBridge+usb+3.0

Apr 4, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #5,721 of 9,047
Apr 5, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #5,723 of 9,047
Does the iDSD DAC pair well with the bottlehead crack w/ speedball? I figured that if I'm getting an amp I might as well deviate from the SS amp on the iCAN and go full tube. I'll be using a HD800 or a T1 with the crack. Also, any recommendations on the tubes to use with the crack would be appreciated :)

Apr 5, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #5,724 of 9,047
I want to try a DIY USB cable (between my Uptone Regen and the Micro) without the +5v wire connected (in the cable).  

Anyone please tell me if they know if the Micro will work without the +5V on the incoming USB cable for it to handshake/continue to operate properly?  
I asked ifi and they responded that the 5v must be present for the micro to work but I'm sure I read somewhere that someone was using a cable without the +5v and the micro was working OK (can't find where I read that now).  Anyone tried this?

Thanks

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #5,725 of 9,047
I currently have iDSD > iTube > iCan > headphone. I am thinking about getting a pair of active speaker to use with this rack. Is there a neat way to connect both the speakers and the headphone to to this rack and be able to use them simultaneously? I can not really think of a way to do it rather than manually switching RCA cables because both the iDSD and iTube only have one RCA out.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #5,726 of 9,047
  I currently have iDSD > iTube > iCan > headphone. I am thinking about getting a pair of active speaker to use with this rack. Is there a neat way to connect both the speakers and the headphone to to this rack and be able to use them simultaneously? I can not really think of a way to do it rather than manually switching RCA cables because both the iDSD and iTube only have one RCA out.

I don't think there is because you have used the RCA/phono out to your iTube or iCAN. I guess you can get a connection box which doubled up your RCA/phono outputs but that would be less than optimal and could have a negative effect on the sound quality you have worked hard to create. Even if you could I'm not sure that the iDSD would default to headphone only so you wouldn't be able to use them at the same time as your active speakers.

Why are you wanting to do that in any case may I ask?   

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #5,727 of 9,047

1) On the rear of the iCAN, the RCA sockets and the 3.5mm socket are wired together so you can use one as input and one as output;

2) Use a phono splitter cable out of the iTUBE.

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #5,728 of 9,047
The adapter from 3.5mm to 1/4" that comes in the package works with 3.5 TRRS (hifi man style or Zx2 style) as long as it has L+R+L-R- accordingly to TRRS, then you are good to go.

Now, I am testing it out using my silver cables ! It is nice to have used the same cables to do TRRS out on Zx, and then working on IDSD micro as well. Awesome !

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #5,729 of 9,047
so , is the amp part in ican SE better than the amp part in idsd micro ?

i am using (C)IEMs and listening to 16/44 FLAC files , so i don't really mind playing DSD512 files 

i will be using it with a ZX2 player , do i get a better sound if i use the idsd micro dac ? or it doesn't matter and  i an fine just with the amp part of ican SE ?

thanx for any help/feedback , especially from people who own(ed) both idsd micro and ican se

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #5,730 of 9,047
  so , is the amp part in ican SE better than the amp part in idsd micro ?

i am using (C)IEMs and listening to 16/44 FLAC files , so i don't really mind playing DSD512 files 

i will be using it with a ZX2 player , do i get a better sound if i use the idsd micro dac ? or it doesn't matter and  i an fine just with the amp part of ican SE ?

thanx for any help/feedback , especially from people who own(ed) both idsd micro and ican se

I own both and use them for streaming Tidal HiFi (which is 16/44) and I would vote yes the amp of the iCAN SE is better than that on the iDSD. The iDSD can be battery powered which means that a class A amp like the one of the iCAN SE would have drained the battery too quickly so that ifi Audio had to go with another option. It's not night and day and the amp in the iDSD is very good, so you might want to audition it for yourself to see if the differential make financial sense to you???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back