iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Mar 18, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #5,596 of 9,047
Hi networkn, make sure you are using it in battery mode. It is the best option if you don't have USB filter like iUSB3.0. To do it, just turn on your iDSD before plugging it to your source. I hope it helps :wink:

Regards,
Rafael

So in your opinion, is having a USB filter (e.g., Wyrd, Regen, iUSB [micro or nano]) and having it connected to a USB source superior to say, running your iPhone with CCK and in battery mode?

I guess could try and experiment, as I have both the Wyrd and nano iUSB3.0, but I don't have the iDSD yet (waiting for arrival).

Mar 18, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #5,597 of 9,047
So in your opinion, is having a USB filter (e.g., Wyrd, Regen, iUSB [micro or nano]) and having it connected to a USB source superior to say, running your iPhone with CCK and in battery mode?

I guess could try and experiment, as I have both the Wyrd and nano iUSB3.0, but I don't have the iDSD yet (waiting for arrival).

Exactly. With a nano iUSB3.0 for example, you will have lower noise floor in addition to a complete signal regeneration. The SQ difference is quite obvious IMO. Anyways, try it for yourself, you have nothing to lose 
beyersmile.png

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #5,599 of 9,047
  Exactly. With a nano iUSB3.0 for example, you will have lower noise floor in addition to a complete signal regeneration. The SQ difference is quite obvious IMO. Anyways, try it for yourself, you have nothing to lose 
beyersmile.png

I  can affirm that. It makes a huge difference.  

I thank you both. My wallet does not.

Mar 19, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #5,600 of 9,047
I use the DSD with my Sony A10, so battery life (of the walkman) is a bit of a problem. Using a USB hub limits my use to desktop only. (i.e. I cannot move from one room to another which is all I want.)
If I buy the cable below and connect one end to a 2A USB charger and the other end to the walkman, do you think it will work?

PS: I apologize if I asked this before. Just couldn't remember...

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #5,601 of 9,047
I use the DSD with my Sony A10, so battery life (of the walkman) is a bit of a problem. Using a USB hub limits my use to desktop only. (i.e. I cannot move from one room to another which is all I want.)

If I buy the cable below and connect one end to a 2A USB charger and the other end to the walkman, do you think it will work?

PS: I apologize if I asked this before. Just couldn't remember...

If you use battery mode in your iDSD, the runtime is limited by your iDSD, not your A10, since it doesn't have to provide any power rather than a handshake and audio data. It means you can get about 15 hours in Eco mode and still have battery to spare with in your A10. The only important thing to consider here is that maybe you are getting poor battery life because when your iDSD falls in sleep mode, it detects enough current so that it withdraws 0,5A from your A10. To avoid that, upgrade your firmware to v5.0B or v5.1B. I personally recommend the second one from a SQ standpoint and the first one if you get any kind of problem with DSD (DoP)

And if you still want to run your iDSD 24/7 I think that cable will work fine. I hope I helped :wink:

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Rafael

Mar 19, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #5,602 of 9,047
If you use battery mode in your iDSD, the runtime is limited by your iDSD, not your A10, since it doesn't have to provide any power rather than a handshake and audio data. It means you can get about 15 hours in Eco mode and still have battery to spare with in your A10. The only important thing to consider here is that maybe you are getting poor battery life because when your iDSD falls in sleep mode, it detects enough current so that it withdraws 0,5A from your A10. To avoid that, upgrade your firmware to v5.0B or v5.1B. I personally recommend the second one from a SQ standpoint and the first one if you get any kind of problem with DSD (DoP)

And if you still want to run your iDSD 24/7 I think that cable will work fine. I hope I helped
wink.gif

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Rafael

Many thanks Rafael. If for nothing else, it would be very convenient for me to charge both iDSD and A10 using a single charger and cable when they are both off. So Il'' give it a try. 

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #5,603 of 9,047
I mainly use the Micro (using battery power) in my home stereo but due to my setup I have to disconnect the USB input cable and replace it with a longer cable to charge the Micro.

That's the only thing I wish could be improved - any chance of making the SmartPower port "smarter"? e.g.say when the Micro is turned off the Micro's battery can be charged when it senses there is a charger connected to this port?

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #5,604 of 9,047
iFi micro idsd and mercury/gemini cable owners their laptops:
need your  help please

sorry i feel stupid for asking but just got a combo pkg (mercury, gemini and micro idsd)
recently yet don't know how to hook up the cables into the idsd and between my laptop....they don't seem to 
fit (into the idsd) unless i use one of the accessories ....

are the cables instead to be used first
with the iusb product and them into the idsd?
yes i get the dufus award for this one, but hey it is my first computer setup and i'm a bit stumped.
tried doing alot of googles searches, even ifi's website for setup illustrations, but to no avail.

pls rescue me from my prison of shame 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #5,605 of 9,047
Those cables terminate to a USB B, and the iDSD uses a male USB A input. You need a USB B male to USB A male adapter. Does the iDSD come with one? Mine is still in the mail.

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #5,607 of 9,047
With your current setup, you only need to use one of the cables, not both. You would use both if you had something like the iUSB, where the Mercury would go from the laptop to iUSB, then the Gemini from the iUSB to the iDSD (using an adapter at the iDSD input).

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #5,609 of 9,047
With your current setup, you only need to use one of the cables, not both. You would use both if you had something like the iUSB, where the Mercury would go from the laptop to iUSB, then the Gemini from the iUSB to the iDSD (using an adapter at the iDSD input).

thanks bud...that part i get (one cable not both)...and that was the configuration suggested in using both cables

btw. in your profile...is that your son?
is so he is soooo adorable...congrats

hint to iFi:
pls have some illustrations on your site, even if entitled 'various iFi configurations for dummies 101' 
still have to figure out how the blue cable or such would work.
wink.gif

not all of us are tech savvy with configurations....thanks...i now feel liberated (well a bit) from prison of shame

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #5,610 of 9,047

Users who are viewing this thread

Back