iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Dec 31, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #5,011 of 9,047

Hi,

You already debugged yourself.

Bad News
The Sony Hi-Res Walkman is not Bit-Perfect. If you wish to know the technical history - previous Sony Hi-Res Walkman app versions played HD correctly and converted DSD to 4X PCM. Later Sony changed that, so everything is always up-converted to 4X PCM if Phone or DAC support this rate. To the best of our knowledge, there is no "off" switch for this feature.

Good News
Onkyo HF Player/UAPP/Hysolid are Bit-Perfect.

Cheers.

Thank you so much for your reply, I have ZERO knowledge with regards to Sony Hi-Res Walkman app. I guess I'll stick to Onkyo HF player... cheers.

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #5,012 of 9,047
neat vid bro. the BB chip is from BB Japan (before I bought them out. it was covered in the crowd design thread). the xBass and 3D 'undo' recordings which are mixed for speakers to needs help for headphone use. I totally agree with what you say about the performance is as good as the specs which trumps the odac and even the chord mojo. Though chord does a far better job of marketing their gear. Peace and best new year wishes. keep up the good vids.

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #5,013 of 9,047
Hi

I have an issue with my iDSD (may be was discussed in this forum but I was unable to find anything with the search tool..)

I keep it connected with a mid 2010 MacBook 13" (OSX El Capitan) and I use to put the Mac in sleep by closing the lid.
Very often when i resume the Mac , opening the lid, the iDSD was not recognised anymore and the only way to let the mac recognise iDSD in to unplug and replug the USB cable (this is VERY annoying!)..
This issue occur especially after long sleep (6/12 hours).
I tried a lot of resume combinations and firmware versions but with no success (iFi support was not able to help me), this is the iFi answer:

1. It seems that the iDSD micro jumps to battery mode and the 'handshake' is dropped after time due to the Mac being in sleep mode. 
  2. The iDSD micro goes to sleep mode 15 minutes (3 minutes on battery) after playback of music has stopped (all digital inputs). It will wake up within 1 second of receiving a valid signal on any given input or of the Headphones being connected. Sleep mode powers down the DAC and analogue stages + headphone amp - Can you try inserting headphones or a signal to potentially re-wake the iDSD micro?

Is someone having the same problem? also with other USB DAC?

Any suggestions?

Best regards
Saverio

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #5,014 of 9,047
[COLOR=333333]Hi[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]I have an issue with my iDSD (may be was discussed in this forum but I was unable to find anything with the search tool..)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]I keep it connected with a mid 2010 MacBook 13" (OSX El Capitan) and I use to put the Mac in sleep by closing the lid.[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Very often when i resume the Mac , opening the lid, the iDSD was not recognised anymore and the only way to let the mac recognise iDSD in to unplug and replug the [/COLOR]USB[COLOR=333333] cable (this is VERY annoying!)..[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]This issue occur especially after long sleep (6/12 hours).[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]I tried a lot of resume combinations and firmware versions but with no success (iFi support was not able to help me), this is the iFi [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]answer:[/COLOR]

• It seems that the iDSD micro jumps to battery mode and the 'handshake' is dropped after time due to the Mac being in sleep mode. 
  • The iDSD micro goes to sleep mode 15 minutes (3 minutes on battery) after playback of music has stopped (all digital inputs). It will wake up within 1 second of receiving a valid signal on any given input or of the Headphones being connected. Sleep mode powers down the DAC and analogue stages + headphone amp - Can you try inserting headphones or a signal to potentially re-wake the iDSD micro?

[COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Is someone having the same problem? also with other [/COLOR]USB[COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]DAC[COLOR=333333]?[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Any suggestions?[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Best regards[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Saverio[/COLOR]

I have a solution for you if it really annoys you that much. Don't close the lid. Don't let the Mac go to sleep. Modern energy saving mechanisms will always cause issues otherwise especially if things go into deep sleep or battery conservation mode.

Cheers,
K

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #5,015 of 9,047
I have a solution for you if it really annoys you that much. Don't close the lid. Don't let the Mac go to sleep. Modern energy saving mechanisms will always cause issues otherwise especially if things go into deep sleep or battery conservation mode.

Cheers,
K

Good idea 

I  will also keep my car engine always on in order to always find a warm cabin in the morning!  
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #5,016 of 9,047
Good idea 

I  will also keep my car engine always on in order to always find a warm cabin in the morning!  :wink:

If the starting of the engine is of such high inconvenience for you like the reconnecting of the usb cable, then maybe this would work as well. :D

Another idea: would a powered usb hub change the behavior of the iDSD?

Cheers,
K

Jan 2, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #5,017 of 9,047
If the starting of the engine is of such high inconvenience for you like the reconnecting of the usb cable, then maybe this would work as well.
biggrin.gif

Another idea: would a powered usb hub change the behavior of the iDSD?

Cheers,
K

Hi

I tried with an USB HUB with own power supply but with no success, now I am tying Hibernating the Mac instead of simple memory sleep

Regards

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #5,018 of 9,047
I was trying to upsample to DSD in Foobar using SACD plugin and foo_dsd_asio proxy and found that all 48K based sample rate files (48K, 96K & 192K) were being output untouched to mi iDSD micro (LED was either green or yellow colour). After some searching I came across a pdf file in iFi's site FAQ that says 48K based DSD is not supported "for now" through native DSD. (I'm using W10, 2.26 drivers and 5.0 firmware).

If so, how can one achieve 24.6M (48x DSD512) using Windows if it is not supported by native DSD and DoP stops at DSD256?

Is there any chance this is supported in the near future or it depends on 3rd parties and there is no way of knowing when or even if it will ever be available?

TIA

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #5,019 of 9,047
I was trying to upsample to DSD in Foobar using SACD plugin and foo_dsd_asio proxy and found that all 48K based sample rate files (48K, 96K & 192K) were being output untouched to mi iDSD micro (LED was either green or yellow colour). After some searching I came across a pdf file in iFi's site FAQ that says 48K based DSD is not supported "for now" through native DSD. (I'm using W10, 2.26 drivers and 5.0 firmware).

If so, how can one achieve 24.6M (48x DSD512) using Windows if it is not supported by native DSD and DoP stops at DSD256?

Is there any chance this is supported in the near future or it depends on 3rd parties and there is no way of knowing when or even if it will ever be available?

TIA

This is a limitation of foo_dsd_asio.

It will play DSD512 files if you have any.

You can convert Red Book CD files.

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #5,020 of 9,047

I also have an Amanero USB adapter and it doesn't have this problem.It converts 44.1k and 48k equally fine. I don't think this is a problem with foo_dsd_asio with the exception of not checking max supported PCM rates when selecting DoP instead of ASIO. I've alreay emailed Maxim about this.

Jan 3, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #5,021 of 9,047

I also have an Amanero USB adapter and it doesn't have this problem.It converts 44.1k and 48k equally fine. I don't think this is a problem with foo_dsd_asio with the exception of not checking max supported PCM rates when selecting DoP instead of ASIO. I've alreay emailed Maxim about this.

It isn't a problem with the iDSD. No conversion occurs within the iDSD between PCM and DSD. If the iDSD receives PCM then it converts PCM to analogue. If the iDSD receives DSD then it converts DSD to analogue.

Conversion of PCM to DSD is the sole responsibility of foo_dsd_asio.

Jan 3, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #5,022 of 9,047
It isn't a problem with the iDSD. No conversion occurs within the iDSD between PCM and DSD. If the iDSD receives PCM then it converts PCM to analogue. If the iDSD receives DSD then it converts DSD to analogue.

Conversion of PCM to DSD is the sole responsibility of foo_dsd_asio.

I think you are misunderstanding my posts.
At no point I said the iDSD converts PCM to DSD, though it actually does to a point convert to SDM as DSD1793 is not a full R2R chip nut rather a hybrid. I use either Foobar or HQPlayer for converting PCM->DSD.
I was just asking whether there is a way to send DSD512 with a 48k base sample rate using Windows and also if there will be in the, hopefuly near, future drivers/firmware that will support native DSD through ASIO for the complete family of DSD 48K rates.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #5,023 of 9,047

TIA

Hi,

The limitation is in the driver supplied by XMOS. This limitation has been raised with XMOS but there is no suggested data for inclusion.

In principle the fix should be quite straight forward (likely just updating header files) but the source code is not available to us.

The same limitation incidentally applies to all XMOS based devices using the XMOS supplied/supported driver out there, this is not specific to iFi.

So for the moment, we are pushing but it will come when it comes.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 4, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #5,024 of 9,047

I was trying to upsample to DSD in Foobar using SACD plugin and foo_dsd_asio proxy and found that all 48K based sample rate files (48K, 96K

Hi,

The limitation is in the driver supplied by XMOS. This limitation has been raised with XMOS but there is no suggested data for inclusion.

In principle the fix should be quite straight forward (likely just updating header files) but the source code is not available to us.

The same limitation incidentally applies to all XMOS based devices using the XMOS supplied/supported driver out there, this is not specific to iFi.

Have I misunderstood?

What are these DSD 48k files?

How is that different from DSD64?

Jan 4, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #5,025 of 9,047

Hi,

Thank you very much, hope they include it sooner than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back