iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Mar 17, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #3,166 of 9,047
I'm not sure exactly how much of the stack it takes to get the response from the hd800. I'll listened with the "entire" ifi stack...all four pieces plus the gemini cable. I'll do some testing to find out exactly what pieces are necessary. It may be that it takes all of them. 

As the iDSD is already pretty good I think it's the Class A amp and the tube buffer making that Magic on the HD800

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #3,167 of 9,047
I'm not sure exactly how much of the stack it takes to get the response from the hd800. I'll listened with the "entire" ifi stack...all four pieces plus the gemini cable. I'll do some testing to find out exactly what pieces are necessary. It may be that it takes all of them. 

As the iDSD is already pretty good I think it's the Class A amp and the tube buffer making that Magic on the HD800

And then it's mostly the amp, not the buffer.

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #3,168 of 9,047
All,

You may be interested in the method I've used to get native DSD to my iPhone+iDSD micro at home, using iTunes Home Sharing:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/625493/ipad-iphone-bit-perfect-wi-fi-streaming-24bit-or-dsd-files-high-storage-capacity-portability/210#post_11421607

As an iTunes user (yes, I know, but I like it) this enables me to get bit-perfect PCM and native DSD to my iDSD Micro around the home, with all my music together in the native iOS app, without using any device storage
biggrin.gif

Graham

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #3,170 of 9,047
Mar 18, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #3,172 of 9,047
what if i don't like tube sound in general... how can i make an ifi stack?

Just leave out the iTUBE :wink:

To me the iTUBE was a very transparent pre-amp. It didn't change the sound in any way that I could hear and I spent several hours trying just to be sure I wasn't missing anything.

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #3,173 of 9,047
Just leave out the iTUBE
wink.gif

To me the iTUBE was a very transparent pre-amp. It didn't change the sound in any way that I could hear and I spent several hours trying just to be sure I wasn't missing anything.

tube sound is not for me. i tested from cheap to very expensive tube amps with hd800, all tubes added some sort of nostalgic noise, while it was fun, and made mids fuller, i really wanted cleared, precise, analitical mids, but i wanted to change the tonality of hd800 to a tonality like ie800 if anyone can understand what i am talking about.

Mar 18, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #3,174 of 9,047
I think to comment on the system with an HD800 and the iDSD, iTUBE, iCAN you need to experience it. There is no noise at all and if I didn't tell you it was in the system you'd probably never know it until it was removed or I told you.

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #3,176 of 9,047
Strange, I find it above the big Conductor :D

Mar 19, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #3,178 of 9,047
Strange, I find it above the big Conductor :D

In terms of DAC, IMO, a huge yes! But as a whole, the Conductor is warmer and bigger in soundstage *height*. The iDSD wins in terms of details, soundstage width, instrumental separation, imaging and basically everything else! The Conductor feels like everything is kinda centered. Otherwise, both are refined, clean and everything needed to become a reference class ^_^

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #3,179 of 9,047

Thank you but you haven't seen our whisky collection in the AMR Showroom.

Now that would blow you away much more than our technology.

This is our current favourite:

This is the officier supplier to AMR/iFi. So we dont mind giving them a plug.
wink_face.gif

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/glengyle/kilkerran-work-in-progress-6th-release-sherry-wood-whisky/?srh=1

Kilkerran WIP 6th Sherry Bottling Note

The 6th release of the Kilkerran Work In Progress series follows the style set in the previous release of actually being two whiskies! Both are single malt Scotch whisky, though one has been matured in bourbon casks and one has been matured in Sherry casks. This is the latter, the seductive Sherry cask-matured Kilkerran single malt.

It is eminently reasonable at £36 a bottle. But the scary thing is this whisky is extremely smooth 'n seductive. Fifity Shades got nothing on the Kilkerran WIP.

We challenge anyone to have one "nip" and NOT want more. When the tunes are flowing this whisky is a gushing. We can neck one of these bottles in one listening session. Scary.
eek.gif

Oh my...:flushed::flushed: 

Seeing those pictures of Scarlett Johansson?...then learning that there really is a store called "Masters of Malt" that is a supplier of many rare, malted elixirs?...my basic world perception has been shaken and it has put a real Whammy on my head. 

Now I can't think of anything else.  

...Scarlett...scotch...Scarlett...scotch...

+  =

What have you wrought? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back