iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jan 12, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #2,252 of 9,047

Hi,

OS X defaults automatically to the highest sample rate which is why you see the "white light".

You have two options:

1) Manually change the Sampling Rate in iTunes (or whichever program you use) each time you play the file to match the Sample Rate with the file.

Or

2) Use a Non-OS X program such as Audirvana or JRMC which auto selects the native Sample rate each and every time.

You can leave it as it is but certeris paribus, Bit-Perfect is our preferred option for the best sonics.

Cheers.

Thank you, IFI. You folks are the best
beerchug.gif

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #2,253 of 9,047
Hi, new Micro owner here...

Is engaging the IEMatch settings going to degrade quality on larger headphones?

I find with HD650s and LCD2.2s in a quiet room the volume is already quite loud on the ECO / IEMatch off settings by the time the channel imbalance is rectified.

The most sensitive IEMatch setting doesn't seem to sound as good but not sure if this is just my imagination... Any details?

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #2,254 of 9,047

I find with HD650s and LCD2.2s in a quiet room the volume is already quite loud on the ECO / IEMatch off settings by the time the channel imbalance is rectified.

The most sensitive IEMatch setting doesn't seem to sound as good but not sure if this is just my imagination... Any details?

Where is the volume control notch located when the channel imbalance ends?  What input are you using?  With my HD650's the channel imbalance stops just before the 10 o'clock position, With ECO/IEMatch off, normal listening volume is between 11 to 12 o'clock.  Others I have read here experience this similar situation when using these headphones. If you are using the analog input with a hot source, this may cause an overly loud level before the volume control is past the imbalance point.

If your volume control still has imbalance issues at the 11 o'clock position, I would contact iFi as you may have a defective potentiometer.

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #2,255 of 9,047

Where is the volume control notch located when the channel imbalance ends?  What input are you using?  With my HD650's the channel imbalance stops just before the 10 o'clock position, With ECO/IEMatch off, normal listening volume is between 11 to 12 o'clock.  Others I have read here experience this similar situation when using these headphones. If you are using the analog input with a hot source, this may cause an overly loud level before the volume control is past the imbalance point.

If your volume control still has imbalance issues at the 11 o'clock position, I would contact iFi as you may have a defective potentiometer.

I will test further tonight but 10 o'clock might be about right for when the channel imbalance stops, but this can already be quite loud for me using digital USB and optical inputs on some music in the ECO / IEMatch off setting.

I am not surprised that my comfortable levels are a bit lower than others, haha. But if 10'o'clock is normal for volume imbalance to end then I may have to use the IEM Match settings, so curious if these would affect sound quality as well as volume?

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #2,256 of 9,047

I will test further tonight but 10 o'clock might be about right for when the channel imbalance stops, but this can already be quite loud for me using digital USB and optical inputs on some music in the ECO / IEMatch off setting.

I am not surprised that my comfortable levels are a bit lower than others, haha. But if 10'o'clock is normal for volume imbalance to end then I may have to use the IEM Match settings, so curious if these would affect sound quality as well as volume?

Not sure regarding sound quality loss as I never engage the IEM settings, though would think the type of headphone used with it on should be irrelevant.  It is recommended to only use IEM when in ECO mode, otherwise you are just wasting power, ifi uses the great analogy of pressing the accelerator with the brakes on.

I would think that needing to listen at such low levels your hearing must be hypersensitive (lucky you).

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #2,257 of 9,047

this was discussed in the earlier pages. iFi provided an explanation for the imbalance at lower volumes. 

basically, you can switch the IEMatch to the next position and turn your volume knob higher than 10 o'clock to bring balance back to the 'Force'. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #2,258 of 9,047
  this was discussed in the earlier pages. iFi provided an explanation for the imbalance at lower volumes.

basically, you can switch the IEMatch to the next position and turn your volume knob higher than 10 o'clock to bring balance back to the 'Force'.

Oh thanks, I have found the post now recommending that volume is kept above 12 o'clock using the volume and IEMatch settings.

However I am still not certain whether more is at work here. The technical details note that IEMatch employs a circuit to reduce hiss on IEMs, while another IFI post shows that the IEMatch settings are affecting output impedence. This makes me think that it is more than just a simple change in volume?

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #2,259 of 9,047

Hi,

iEMatch is primarily for IEMs.

You have some nice headphones.

Probably try "Power mode: Normal" with "iEMatch: Ultra". Try this.

This reduces gain. Not for headphones but may occur with music that exceptionally quiet/well-recorded.

Yes, the level will be lower which may seem the SQ has gone down but if cranked back up, then there is less resistance in the volume control then dynamics should be better. FWIW, it is tricky to level-match to do a comparison.

The Sennhesier IE-800 is one of the most sensitive at 143dB/v and the HE-6 is least sensitive at 83dB/w (manufacturer specs but you get the idea).

Hence one needs to try the different power modes and iEMatch to suit their music (audiophile, good quality usually is queiter and rock/pop usually louder).

Caution:
We have only come across one or two customers with iEMs using "Turbo" from the off.

We STRONGLY advise against this as you are putting 4,000MW into some very nice/expensive IEMs that are usually designed for 15mW from an iPhone!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 13, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #2,260 of 9,047

Caution:
We have only come across one or two customers with iEMs using "Turbo" from the off!

We STRONGLY advise against this as you are putting 4,000MW into some very nice/expensive IEMs that are usually designed for 15mW from an iPhone!

and it's like stepping on the acceleration pedal while holding break. I remember your team said it last time a few pages ago haha 

Jan 13, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #2,261 of 9,047
Hi all, I currently have the iDAC and iCAN, but I'm keen to get an iDSD. A fellow enthusiast and Head-Fier mentioned that the soundstage from the iDSD micro wasn't as big as he expected (lacking depth), but acknowledged that it may have been the earphones he was using.
Can you please tell me if the DAC alone and DAC+amp of the iDSD create a spacious soundstage? Is the inbuilt amp a limiting factor in this?
Thanks!

Hi Loquah,

I have the iDSD and the iUSBPower and have the iCAN on it's way for delivery tomorrow, so I can give you my personal feedback about using the IDSD and iCAN together in the same rig within a day or two. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #2,263 of 9,047

Hi Loquah,

I have the iDSD and the iUSBPower and have the iCAN on it's way for delivery tomorrow, so I can give you my personal feedback about using the IDSD and iCAN together in the same rig within a day or two. 

I'm looking forward to your impression as well.
Thanks!

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #2,264 of 9,047

Hi Loquah,

+1...  I am also curious on how the iDSD's built in headphone amp compares to the iCAN.  Just a reminder, make sure to select direct mode on the bottom of the iDSD when connecting it's RCA outputs to the iCAN, as it disables the preamp and any speaker optimized 3D or Xbass processing.
popcorn.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #2,265 of 9,047
  1) Manually change the Sampling Rate in iTunes (or whichever program you use) each time you play the file to match the Sample Rate with the file.

Isn't enough: he has to close iTunes, change the sample rate in MIDI setup, reopen iTunes.
This every time you want to play a song with a different sample rate different from the previous...
Nowadays no one uses iTunes because the above procedure is absurd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back