iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Oct 13, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #1,141 of 9,047
I do not know the program. But I do know that j river for PC or Mac is good . I m not saying your program is not good. Try j river 20 it's free for 30 days and post questions of how to set up I will responce or many others. It plays good with your new toy. Ps it plays better dsd than dacs costing much more in price. The PCM is pretty good too. Enjoy it.
Al

Set up help would be really appreciated. I downloaded a sampler from http://shop.dsdfile.com/category/samplers/ but when I play it on J River it sounds distorted...

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #1,142 of 9,047
Just follow these steps

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDQQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fifi-audio.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fdata%2FDoPInstructions_JRMC18%2B19.pdf&ei=v5Q8VL2kBpOtyATQkoCADQ&usg=AFQjCNGRGX608DbqcYoO7LuP0amDp1TIdA&sig2=ASJITqhp3H07pRlbg37Q-A&bvm=bv.77161500,d.aWw

It is a bit out of date but should work.
 When you mean distorted does it stutter? 

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #1,143 of 9,047
  Just picked up a idsd micro last night. I am completely blown away by the experience. I have hooked it up to a pair of LCD-2, B&W p7, and klipsch pro media 2.1 computer speakers. All of which sounds leagues better then when played through my meridian explorer. I just recently got the LCD-2 so I am still in the process of breaking them in. Is there a big difference with the idsd after it is broken in? Also can someone point me in the right direction on getting dsd files? I would like to know what all the hype is about!

It was for me.

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #1,144 of 9,047
I bet they are focused on rmaf and their iFi Club meeting at the moment. The company has top-notch customer service. Allow them a couple of days then reassess their response time.

Still no response from iFi. I escalated to my dealer and he is also having trouble. This is not good for my opinion of iFi or AMR. RMAF or not, there is no excuse for slow customer service response and not standing behind their product. I expect top tier support for the experience or bust. I am going to get this replaced and sell it.

A local dealer does not carry the AMR and iFi line because of build quality and support issues. Seems he was wise.

Trust=broken.

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #1,145 of 9,047
Still no response from iFi. I escalated to my dealer and he is also having trouble. This is not good for my opinion of iFi or AMR. RMAF or not, there is no excuse for slow customer service response and not standing behind their product. I expect top tier support for the experience or bust. I am going to get this replaced and sell it.

A local dealer does not carry the AMR and iFi line because of build quality and support issues. Seems he was wise.

Trust=broken.

This is my first time hearing about iFi's customer sevice's issue. I do agree with RMAF or not part thought but I guess they are just way too busy lately.

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #1,147 of 9,047

Trust=broken.

RMAF ended on Sunday so they have had one travel day to return home.  I would hope they would be back to normal duties starting today.  Please keep us posted.  What's going on with your device?  Having problems?

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #1,148 of 9,047
Yes, they actually just replied saying I'll get an RMA towards the end of the day.  I'm a bit happier now about it, but we'll see depending on the outcome.

Yes, having problems.  I've been using the device in my office system (speaker-based) and using only the RCA outs for the past month.  I took it out of the box and it's been sitting on a credenza since then - haven't really used the headphone part but for a quick test.  Finally took it on vacation with me this past week and realized there is an issue with the IEM match switch on the bottom.  The switch locks into place, but if I touched it at all (or looked at it the wrong way) and it was set to say..."ultra," it would blow my ears out.  Bad solder joint or bad IEM switch, I suppose.

Looking at the teardown pictures that were posted on this thread (or was it the other?) my confidence in having it repaired is very low.  It appears that if you disassemble the unit, it basically self destructs.  So, I'm pushing for an entire replacement.  I don't want it coming back "repaired" with other issues...

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #1,149 of 9,047
I think that it helps not to be searching for faults, like one dealer that will not carry them could just be dealer BS talk. Nothing in the disassemble pictures that would indicate any self destruct issue. Soon your issues will be taken care of. I always try to have the attitude when I wake up in the morning that things will work out in the end.  I did not have issues in contacting IFI with several questions. Since IFI already contact you and you will have a positive outcome. When I was at the dinner with IFI it did look like most of the staff where there and I had a good feeling about the group. Stay positive!
wink_face.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #1,150 of 9,047
  I wanted to say we enjoy the IFI iCLUB RMAF dinner on last Saturday night at cool river cafe in Denver.  The shrimp appetizer was the largest I have seen and had to cut the shrimp in pieces. The jim bean ripeye streak was just great! Thanks for the memories! 
beerchug.gif

I had the bone-in rib eye and a taste of the filet as well - it was very yummy.  Which end of the table were you sitting at?  I swas the guy with the shaved head (only pne there, iirc.

Oct 14, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #1,151 of 9,047
Good luck with your Micro RHMMMM.  You are in good hands now if they did contact you.

Hi fzman, Tyler here.  Cute dog as your avatar.  It's nice to meet you on here now 
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #1,152 of 9,047
  I think that it helps not to be searching for faults, like one dealer that will not carry them could just be dealer BS talk. Nothing in the disassemble pictures that would indicate any self destruct issue. Soon your issues will be taken care of. I always try to have the attitude when I wake up in the morning that things will work out in the end.  I did not have issues in contacting IFI with several questions. Since IFI already contact you and you will have a positive outcome. When I was at the dinner with IFI it did look like most of the staff where there and I had a good feeling about the group. Stay positive!
wink_face.gif

See post 719 and 720.  Broken switch and torn battery pads.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments/705#post_10845378

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #1,154 of 9,047
Just means that you need more care to disassemble the unit. I think that the user in question wanted to take the unit apart for study since it is his hobby.  I had equipment that was a challenge to take apart but have not broken anything.  That broken switch was repaired by the end user himself . Stay positive!
wink_face.gif

P.S. Andy Chan, the guy that did the IFI iDSD tear down rated the ease to open : 7 out of 10. That is not terrible.

Oct 14, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #1,155 of 9,047
It's very diiffrent to my ears. The HDP r10 is fine and I atill,use it hear and there as a one stop at the gym mostly. But the micro out shines it plenty and dsd is really dsd with the micro. It's pcm is pretty good too. Even when stacked against the hugo the dsd on the micro is a clear winner for me pcm is odd it seems to be music picky some sound better on the hugo while others the hugo is winner. I first thought it was a resolution thing as I tried many formats in pcm . Some the Hugo won others the micro did. Lastly the hugo is more neutral almost bright and a little thin. While the micro is a little warmer but gives a better note thickness with all the music. . So if a track is bright the micro is good but if it's a little laid back the hugo is better. Now headphones even the hd800 is fine on both but for me a little better on the micro even though it's more detailed with the hugo. I was going to do good post in comparing them but after many hours of going back and forth only dsd is a clear winner . Of course features and the price make the micro a winner all,the time . But if it's just sound and PCM it comes down to choice as the Hugo has its strong points and the Micro does as well. If I owned the micro there would be no reason to buy the Hugo. Owning both its not so simple and since I have so much stuff . Heanoes and CIEMS. They both have a time and place. I really wish watts would come out with a new firmware or even a few and we could roll ty firmwares .
Al

How does the bass response and soundstage compare between Micro iDSD and Chord Hugo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back