iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Sep 9, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #841 of 9,047
 On the issue of what sounded better, the Geek Out or the iDSD, I'm not exactly sure if the iDSD wins all the time. I think it depends on the type of Geek Out you have, as this  has match your phones too. I do know the GeekOut 720 sounds better with the LCD-X, and the Sennheiser HD-800 is wonderful with the iDSD. I'll get back to you when they all burn in and settle down. As it is, the only thing burned in is the Senns, at this point. 

Detail is amazing with the Geek Out 720, but, depending on material and headphone can get fatiguing, pretty quickly. And the iDSD is so ear friendly, but.....

Does anyone own both the micro and geek out?

Sep 10, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #843 of 9,047

I use this one from Forza audioworks, awesome cable.  Bit more than 2 or 3 quid though but well worth the money imo..  Contaact Matthew using his online form, he's very responsive and flexible, just tell him what you need.

That's brilliant. Just what I was after. I'll send him an email and hopefully he can put a female A end on it. 

Thanks again!

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #844 of 9,047

EISA award = 3.5mm ribbon cable giveway at National Audio Show

We have hardly had the chance to draw breath after returning from the EISA awards ceremony (even the airport security staff at Tegel Airport congratulated us!)

Nevertheless, we shall be at the Headzones exhibition at the National Audio Show on 20-21 September at Whittlebury Hall. We are still on cloud nine following the EISA ward  - so visitors to the iFi booth in Headzones will each receive a free 3.5mm>3.5mm ribbon cable  in a soft velvet iFi pouch (while stocks last).

At the NAS, Chris Martens from HiFi+ will be demonstrating headphone setups with the “white hot” micro iDSD. There are also 5 iFi iDSD machines up for grabs for HiFI+ subscribers.

We look forward to seeing you there as we can hardly contain our excitement!

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #845 of 9,047
  More thoughts regarding the 'pop' issue.

It is only a DoP issue; using ASIO native eliminates it.

Following iFi's instructions, I only get a slight pop using DoP when switching from DSD to PCM, and vice versa.  It isn't very loud, only loud enough to be an annoyance.  

But we don't like being annoyed.  I have become frustrated with many a car because of tiny rattles in the cabin.  Never mind how excellent a sports car it was, and never mind what a bargain it was relative to other competition!!

Final thoughts.   The DoP pop, or insert other problems, if you like, is not necessarily an iFi issue.  It is just the evil nature of DoP being combined with a native DSD chipset with minimal DSP happening before conversion.  iFi has a webpage devoted to the 'why' of the problem, and they have spoken about it on the forum here.  

I believe it 'probably' could be remedied in firmware.  But, it isn't directly a problem with iFi's hardware or software.  I would hope any 'fix' doesn't in any way compromise DSD playback quality.  

It wouldn't be the first time iFi 'fixed' a problem that wasn't of their own making.  We as consumers can be very, very fickle though, and sometimes problems that are not of a company's own making nevertheless need to be addressed.  

It doesn't matter the root cause of the problem, if iFi wants to sell the Micro to people to put into their expensive stereo systems then they need to address the DoP pop problem.  I cannot recommend this product to my friends without mentioning this issue.  The first time I experienced the pop I was listening to classical music with huge dynamic range.  I had the volume turned up because the last third of the song was rather quiet.  When the song ended the crackle-pop sound that I heard was so loud I feared for the safety of my speakers!

Yes, if you're sitting right next to the Micro and you are diligent you can turn down the volume every time there is a DSD sample rate change but who really wants to have to do that?

If iFi could simply mute the outputs during the sample rate change all would be well.   There would be no ill effect to DSD playback.   I hope iFi can find a way to do this and implement it in a firmware update.  Then iFi would have a near perfect product.

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #846 of 9,047
As I would not use my ifi in any of my speaker systems I can understand the points being made here. I a hopefully that ifi is going to fix it and soon. But I honestly do here anything but a tiny pop when turning it on. But I would tell anyone about the pop as you are saying

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #847 of 9,047

It doesn't matter the root cause of the problem, if iFi wants to sell the Micro to people to put into their expensive stereo systems then they need to address the DoP pop problem.  I cannot recommend this product to my friends without mentioning this issue.  The first time I experienced the pop I was listening to classical music with huge dynamic range.  I had the volume turned up because the last third of the song was rather quiet.  When the song ended the crackle-pop sound that I heard was so loud I feared for the safety of my speakers!

Yes, if you're sitting right next to the Micro and you are diligent you can turn down the volume every time there is a DSD sample rate change but who really wants to have to do that?

If iFi could simply mute the outputs during the sample rate change all would be well.   There would be no ill effect to DSD playback.   I hope iFi can find a way to do this and implement it in a firmware update.  Then iFi would have a near perfect product.

+1

My Micro iDSD works great with ASIO in JRMC 20 for Windows but, with DoP in Audirvana+ on my MBP, the "pop" when a DSD file set finishes playing is crazy loud.  Hoping for a fix soon ...

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #848 of 9,047

+1

My Micro iDSD works great with ASIO in JRMC 20 for Windows but, with DoP in Audirvana+ on my MBP, the "pop" when a DSD file set finishes playing is crazy loud.  Hoping for a fix soon ...

Yes, unfortunately I don't have a Windows machine.  I'm hoping Apple will upgrade their USB software to eliminate the need for DoP on Macs and iDevices.  Anything that will get rid of this problem is welcome!

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #849 of 9,047
  Yes, unfortunately I don't have a Windows machine.  I'm hoping Apple will upgrade their USB software to eliminate the need for DoP on Macs and iDevices.  Anything that will get rid of this problem is welcome!

Maybe iFi will come out with an ASIO driver for OSX, just as exaSound did recently, and then we can bypass DoP on our Apple machines (AFAIK, the exaSound ASIO driver for OSX works on Decibel and HQPlayer currently, but not on Audirvana+).

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #852 of 9,047
Just in case Ifi folks are still with us here....  If I may...I'd like to suggest a potential opportunity for you...   if you might consider creating a cradle for your amps....   its hard to mount anything on the amps due to the shape....   we need a cradle that will form fit your amp dimensions and offer a flat surface so we can mount our phones/Daps with bands when we want to use the amps as portable units....   just a thought...and you could make some extra bucks...  :)  

Thanks
db

Sep 11, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #853 of 9,047
Any thoughts on how the iDSD's amp section compare to Asgard 2? Worth the upgrade?

FWIW, I actually prefer the micro iDSD amp to the Asgard 2. I really enjoy the 3D and xbass effects on my HE500s and I've actually found several schiit products, the Asgard 2 included, to be slightly grainy/dry. I love the ifi products for their smooth detailed sound and in this case I prefer their mobile amp to schiits class A desktop amp... Go figure. Don't get me wrong, Schiit makes some great gear, and the Asgard 2 is a very good amp, but I'm on the micro iDSD train for the time being.

Sep 11, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #854 of 9,047
+1.

while the iFi micro iDSD amp doesn't present the widest soundstage amongst SS amps I'd bet, the musicality, natural/realistic detail and presentation are just amazing.
regardless of the form factor, this is one SS amp that will keep me satisfied for sure.  even with IEMs and NAD HP50.

Lyr 2 with HE-560 and Vali keep my tube-sounding appetite fed.
variety is the spice of sound.

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #855 of 9,047
  No, You can play native DSD files with DoP encapsulation or without. Not all DSD DAC's can play DSD files natively without going to a PCM stage. 

So as I understand it, the only way DSD data can be transferred and used by the iDSD natively via USB, is for PCM frames being added to the stream (is this what the DoP acronym means)?  From the informative article below it appears as though Apple has the main issue because it's audio architecture was designed specifically for PCM.

I have a lot to learn coming from the analogue world of vinyl.  Thanks for your help John.

http://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back