iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Aug 16, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #346 of 9,047
  So iFi guys,

If the micro iDSD spends the vast majority of its time on my desktop plugged into my iUSB Power, should I just turn it on after the computer and all are started up (to run in bus-power mode) and then just leave it on after that? (no matter how much turning the computer off-and-on I do?) From what you said that would provide the best battery life, correct?

Also, when running in bus-power mode, will the headphone amp also draw on the battery when needed for power output, say in Turbo or Normal mode?

Hi,

If the iDSD micro is plugged into the iUSB Power just turn on after connecting and leave both on, regardless of the state of the PC.

This way the battery will be maintained at optimum charge for "float" (aka standby) operation.

And yes, the iDSD will draw on the battery whenever it needs more power than provided by the USB port, to make up the shortfall.

Thanks.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 16, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #347 of 9,047
Can we get a list of approved chargers?  I'm not confident my chargers are working correctly because the blue light goes out so quickly.  i.e. Today, I used my iFi for 2 hours, then plugged it in and the blue light went out in <20 seconds. 

I am using the Anker 5-port 40W USB Charger available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Family-Sized-Desktop-Charger-PowerIQ-Technology/dp/B00IBDOB5I

I have also tried the single-port 24W USB Charger that came with my Dell Venue 11 Pro.

Edit, dug out my 12W Official Apple iPad charger and I get the same behavior.  Is something wrong with my unit?  Shouldn't the light stay on longer?

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #348 of 9,047
  Can we get a list of approved chargers?  I'm not confident my chargers are working correctly because the blue light goes out so quickly.  i.e. Today, I used my iFi for 2 hours, then plugged it in and the blue light went out in <20 seconds.

I am using the Anker 5-port 40W USB Charger available on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Family-Sized-Desktop-Charger-PowerIQ-Technology/dp/B00IBDOB5I

I have also tried the single-port 24W USB Charger that came with my Dell Venue 11 Pro.

Edit, dug out my 12W Official Apple iPad charger and I get the same behavior.  Is something wrong with my unit?  Shouldn't the light stay on longer?

Hi,

A couple of questions:

1) Is the unit switched off?

2) Check for no loose connections between the USB cable and the charger/s itself

3) The enclosed USB 3.0 cable is used? (Not another USB 2.0 cable?)

4) Does it charge as per normal when plugged into a USB port? Or does the blue light go out after 20s with every different charger you try?

Yes - the Apple chargers are fine. The iPad 12W of course recharges faster than the iPhone charger.

We are just trying narrow things down - apologies to others for their patience.

If need, you can open a support ticket.

Thanks

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 16, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #349 of 9,047

What software are you using for playback and what settings? In Audirvana Plus, it only pops when I use DSD over PCM Standard 1.0 setting. In conversion to PCM, it will not pop.

Actually, the 90 degree cable is mine, not from Micro.
These were my unboxing photo.

You are missing the black USB cable with the angled connector. It is longer than the one at the bottom left one in picture 1 above. I have only used the Dac with headphones via my iMac so far.

Aug 16, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #350 of 9,047
I do not see the "Silcone Sheet"with 2 x Silicone bands - situated between Smartphone+micro iDSD with silicone bands to hold firmly together
Unless it is hiding in the box somewhere...

Aug 16, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #352 of 9,047

Hi,

A couple of questions:

1) Is the unit switched off?

2) Check for no loose connections between the USB cable and the charger/s itself

3) The enclosed USB 3.0 cable is used? (Not another USB 2.0 cable?)

4) Does it charge as per normal when plugged into a USB port? Or does the blue light go out after 20s with every different charger you try?

Yes - the Apple chargers are fine. The iPad 12W of course recharges faster than the iPhone charger.

We are just trying narrow things down - apologies to others for their patience.

If need, you can open a support ticket.

Thanks

OK, I think I'm set on charging.  I believe the battery has been capping itself off over USB as I have been using it that way.  I deliberately used the SmartPower charging port to charge a tablet and it ran the battery down a bit and the blue LED is staying lit much longer this time.  False alarm. 

Does it charge from an iPad when using it with the camera connector kit also?

Now I just need help getting rid of laggy playback via Jriver 19.  Any advice there? 

By laggy I mean slight gaps in playback.  I wouldn't say it's as bad as "stuttering" but I perceive some issues.

Aug 16, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #353 of 9,047
Does it charge from an iPad when using it with the camera connector kit also?

^ this. It seem to drains my iPad/iPhone faster than usual not sure why. Even if I switch it on before connecting to my device.

Or my iPad/iPhone's battery is just aging :rolleyes:

Aug 16, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #354 of 9,047
iFi-Audio, I have a question.

I connected my iPad with camera adapter to iDSD's usb in and then coax to my reciever and started playing. It plays and sounds great, but then I noticed that iDSD is not even on, it is off! The led light is off too.

It has to be using the battery isn't it?
Converting the signal from USB to COAX does take energy, so why the led is off?

Aug 16, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #355 of 9,047

Now I just need help getting rid of laggy playback via Jriver 19.  Any advice there? 

By laggy I mean slight gaps in playback.  I wouldn't say it's as bad as "stuttering" but I perceive some issues.

Yes there is much to say on that. What files format are you playing? What is your source hardware? Does this happens in the middle of a track?
Have you set the J.River buffering at 500ms? Always set the buffering at 500ms is good advice regardless on how strong your PC/laptop is.
Are you using safe UBS buffer mode and large buffer size on the IFI control panel?

http://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/data/DoPInstructions_JRMC18+19.pdf

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #356 of 9,047
iFi-Audio, I have a question.

I connected my iPad with camera adapter to iDSD's usb in and then coax to my reciever and started playing. It plays and sounds great, but then I noticed that iDSD is not even on, it is off! The led light is off too.

It has to be using the battery isn't it?
Converting the signal from USB to COAX does take energy, so why the led is off?

I just replicated this behavior. I believe it is using USB power from the iPad to power the XMOS chip and some of the other innards, perhaps. See my question above about battery usage and iPad. I used the device for hours last night and the iFi battery was not worn down at all afterwards.

There
is no analog output when the power/volume knob is off, but the digital output is functional.

I even tried the Onkyo HF player on the iPad with upsampling and my external DAC shows 176.4kHz with the iFi iDSD powered off! Cool stuff.

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #357 of 9,047
 OK

1) Turn unit off. - DONE
2) Plug into charger (use the accompanying USB cable) - DONE
3) Watch for Blue Light to come on and stay on - then leave to charge until the blue light goes off. - Blue light come on for couple second and blue light goes off

4) Leave for 12 hours anyway.

5) Plug in to MacBook Pro Retina 
6) Turn unit ON
7) Blue light come on 1 second, red light blinking, no more light - no sound, nothing. --- how is this easy?

I've been around audio equipment for over 35 years where I still remember my dad's Kensonic P-300 and as an IT business owner and a gadget freak, charging batteries is not much of condition, unless it does not work or charging batteries comes with a lot of conditions and a manual (and hundreds of discussion thread)

As you mentioned yourself, there are a lot of Q&A about the 'light' and we are also discussing it over the quality of sound (of an audio equipment), should be a good indicator that there are things to improve upon. So please take it with constructive view instead of assuming that people here in Head-fi uses cheap sub-par charger or usb wire. (Actually I never heard this to be a condition for a unit to work even from a several thousand $ unit manufacturer). Anyway, you have a great product that I think will sell like hot cakes (this means selling a lot, btw). 

I can confirm that this exact same thing happened to me last night. Was listening to the micro when it suddenly turned off (supposedly due to low battery). I went to plug it into my iPad charger with the blue usb3 cable but noticed that the blue LED came on for only a second before turning off again. This happened repeatedly, sometimes the LED not turning on at all. Turning the unit on did nothing whatsoever. I got frustrated, started to draft a ticket to support but before I sent it I tried plugging it in one more time and the blue LED stayed lit. Go figure.... Now I'm listening to it no problems.

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #358 of 9,047

Agree, ifi is not at fault here, thats not what i said

Hi.  Yeah, I know you were not saying that.  Didn't mean to imply that you were.  Sorry.  Was just taking the opportunity to rant and ramble, which I am quite good at!

Andrew

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #359 of 9,047
  Hi A.

Yup, good memory. I do have a Qute. Not to worry, a pal of mine will son get the Micro and will be able to compare directly both the Hugo and the Micro. I expect the Micro will win hands down on DSD, but it will be a toss up for PCM, where the Hugo has its sweetspot. Rob and many other say the Hugo is better than the Qute, but RossB from Audtalia thinks that with a great LPSU, the Qute is better...more full bodied and richer.

Infact, its no mystery at all what Chord-Rob Watts does with DSD. Rob is extraordinarily forthcoming with his explanations (thus he commands a lot of personal respect from me). thorsten is the same way too.

Rob is not a DSD lover and does not think native playback is as good as his solution. I vehemently disagree. He upsamples/upconverts all incoming signal (PCM and DSD) to 2048fs PCM. That is at 90mhz! Then he brings it back down to a lower rate PCM for output after extensive DSP manipulation. I think the Hugo has 16 DSP cores in FPGA pulse array Dac. Timing is paramount for Watts (4ns threshold) and his Watts Transient Aligned filter is proprietary. All this is buried somewhere in that MONSTER Hugo thread here at Headfi.

Sorry, been working all weekend, thus I haven't been able to get back to you...

I was very interested in the Hugo at one time, too.  Just too much $$$.  I would probably sink that kind of money into something like, well, a LAMPI   
o2smile.gif
 !

There are several products out there that sample DSD to a super high PCM rate.   Or something PCM like.  Or some kind of hybrid.  Gotta be careful when using those three letters.  For some reason it gets people all worked up!   Whatever the case, there are many intermediate multi-bit, high sample rate possibilities.  PS audio with its new Direct Stream DAC is doing something like what Chord does, except instead of downconverting to PCM, they go to DSD128 with everything!  Now how this makes native DSD files better, I don't know, since they are already delta sigma modulated, and all you need is to simply convert it to analog!  You don't need a gazillion redundant samples added, topped with the necessary filtering, followed by re-modulation... etc. etc. etc...

Of course the people in the industry who are building DAC's that use DSP with DSD files claim that it makes them sound better.  In reality, though, they are really selling convenience.  We all love things like digital volume control.  And in this world where everyone wants to have their cake and eat it too, no one is going to tell you that the convenience you just bought is at the expense of quality.  

Now before anyone takes what I saying the wrong way, DACs like the Chord or the PS Audio or anything built on the ESS chipset, sound excellent, and are justly well reviewed.  DSD combined with digital signal processing can and does sound very good.  And in some ways, yes can even sound better.  I don't think Rob at Chord is imagining things or making things up, because yes, there are things I hear in processed DSD that sound better.   But, on the whole, just cannot match native DSD playback.  Once you have heard it, you are hooked.  No going back, in my opinion...

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #360 of 9,047
I just replicated this behavior. I believe it is using USB power from the iPad to power the XMOS chip and some of the other innards, perhaps. See my question above about battery usage and iPad. I used the device for hours last night and the iFi battery was not worn down at all afterwards.

There
is no analog output when the power/volume knob is off, but the digital output is functional.

I even tried the Onkyo HF player on the iPad with upsampling and my external DAC shows 176.4kHz with the iFi iDSD powered off! Cool stuff.

Only the coax spdif works with power off, optical still needs the power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back