iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Sep 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #993 of 9,047
you must be wondering what all the fuss is about :)
you must be wondering what all the fuss is about :)

Indeed yes I am xD

If only when going in DSD mode, it can switch automatically back to normal since I have a few 192/24 and 92/24 files in my library but that's FB2K's problem

Sep 24, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #994 of 9,047
  I will do the update later this evening, I wonder if this fix will also work in my Linux environment running Squeezeserver Lite with DSD over DOP option.
I report back later on that 

I just did the update and i am very happy to report that even on my Linux based Vortexbox running the Squeezelite Server the pop is gone or reduced to such a low level that i consider this one fixed.
Now I can reconsider getting more DSD downloads and enjoy them.
Thanks guys!

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #995 of 9,047
Is there a new fur ware for the DSD micro. If so how is this done ?

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #997 of 9,047
Is there a new fur ware for the DSD micro. If so how is this done ?

Details are in post 984 on this thread.

http://ifi-audio.com/micro-idsd-ifi-xmos-firmware/

Must have Windows Driver (v2.20) installed before updating the firmware. The updater is part of the windows driver in the windows program folder

Sep 24, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #998 of 9,047
Hello how are you. ?? And thanks for the info. Does it change the sound any ??

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #999 of 9,047
  I have an update.

I sent back my iDSD Micro  for changing of the board regarding my channel imbalance. The new board POT has a smaller amount of imbalance HOWEVER there is NO MORE PCM HISS in bit-perfect mode. I don't know if the new board has a newer firmware or it's different hardware?

I can't remember exactly but my new board has a gold plated USB smartcharging out female plug. Can someone verify if the series 1 boards have just silver usb plug? This could mean new hardware. (I know the digital in male plus is gold plated).

Overall very very happy with my iDSD Micro and kudos to James @ Avatar Acoustics for fixing it for me in a very timely manner with new a perfect product!

I have a ticket in to get a definitive answer regarding what Mashi is experiencing above.  Wondering if this is the only person who ISN'T experiencing hiss while pausing PCM files with bit perfect mode selected.  I know iFi has indicated that this is just a side effect of the non-oversampling nature when using this mode. Can others chime in to help get a consensus whether their units also produce hiss in this mode or is Mashi just an isolated incident?

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #1,000 of 9,047
Hello how are you. ?? And thanks for the info. Does it change the sound any ??

Each time there is a firmware change on any DAC there is a potential of a slight change in sound signature. It seems to me that bit perfect is a bit smoother and the min phase a bit harsher. This was done at low PCM bit rates. Which is a bit of a reversed role. I have not tried it at higher bit rates or DSD which I will try next. I have noticed a small change in the sound depending on which USB streaming mode I am using.

The biggest advantage that the new firmware has for me is the sleep mode going into and out of sleep mode is that the plop noise is far less.  The sleep mode plop noise was much louder than the DoP pop ever was. I was spooking my house guests when I leave the monitors on with no sound for 15 minutes. Not a good impression with the older firmware.       

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #1,001 of 9,047
Thanks for the answers. Now I need help. Using a win 8.1. On surface pro 2. I uninstalled old drivers , rebooted . Installed new drivers. Select firmware update. . I cannot find bin file any where or fond the oath it tells me to find. It says go to c, users and audio . There is no audio off of dir users. Any user for that matter. Apparently it's not creating the dir for me. Am I missing something here .
?? Help,lost
Al

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #1,002 of 9,047
I can see what IFI did with the sleep mode. After 15 minutes with no signal on USB power the iDSD micro goes to no signal status(flashing green) and then two seconds later sleep mode(no LED) instead of directly going into sleep mode.

Sep 24, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #1,003 of 9,047
Ok I fouund the problem. The link sent from website did not have the link for firmware. . I reloaded the how too and it was there .,it's done. Thanks
Al

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #1,004 of 9,047

I have a ticket in to get a definitive answer regarding what Mashi is experiencing above.  Wondering if this is the only person who ISN'T experiencing hiss while pausing PCM files with bit perfect mode selected.  I know iFi has indicated that this is just a side effect of the non-oversampling nature when using this mode. Can others chime in to help get a consensus whether their units also produce hiss in this mode or is Mashi just an isolated incident?

I don't get a noticeable jump in hiss on my iDSD Micro unit. I use Senn Momemtums, Beats (sorry) and home speaker setup. Like others have said, it depends upon system matching whether or not it is exaggerated. Read the earlier thread and you will see this. Suggest you ask them to look at the your unit for you and see if they can do anything about it. Their service is pretty good.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #1,005 of 9,047
  I don't get a noticeable jump in hiss on my iDSD Micro unit. I use Senn Momemtums, Beats (sorry) and home speaker setup. Like others have said, it depends upon system matching whether or not it is exaggerated. Read the earlier thread and you will see this. Suggest you ask them to look at the your unit for you and see if they can do anything about it. Their service is pretty good.

I just got a reply from John at iFi who suggested to send the unit back to Avatar Acoustics to be looked at and am waiting for them to respond via email with an answer.  The hiss is more pronounced with my Beyerdynamic DT990 headphones than on my Harbeth P3ESR speakers, and as I said is only noticeable when music is silent or between tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back