iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Nov 13, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #8,176 of 9,047
Check your settings in Foobar. It too can be set to upsample.
I stopped looking at the led on the BL. To damn hard for me to tell what color it is. (Actually gave up on it when I realized that it does so many damn things in minor color graduations that I had to have the manual with me to figure out what it was telling me, after I turned the lights down enough to see the led color) I usually just look at what Foobar is putting out and have faith that the BL is doing what it should. But I know my settings and what they do.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #8,177 of 9,047
Hi, have been wondering what is the optimal setting under Windows 10 sound properties?

If you mainly play CD's and/or CD derived MP3's at 44.1kHz, set to 44.1kHz/16Bit and volume to max., this normally bypasses Windows internal processing, but not reliably (unfortunately).

You must select a silent sound scheme (so that there is no system sound kicking in) and assign communication defaults to a different device (e.g. internal sound).

In this case there should only be the Spotify audio stream and Windows will normally bypass the mixer. However as soon as two audio streams are mixed (e.g. system sounds and the main audio) the windows mixer will kick in AND STAY ENGAGED.

It is possible to use third party software (Audio Router, Equalify etc.) to operate so Spotify audio is sent to your DAC, while all system sounds remain on the build in audio system, this case with a 44.1kHz/16 Bit default setting should be bit-perfect (fingers crossed).

https://tall-paul.co.uk/2013/08/16/play-spotify-through-a-different-sound-device-windows/

We hope this helps.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 14, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #8,178 of 9,047
If you mainly play CD's and/or CD derived MP3's at 44.1kHz, set to 44.1kHz/16Bit and volume to max., this normally bypasses Windows internal processing, but not reliably (unfortunately).

You must select a silent sound scheme (so that there is no system sound kicking in) and assign communication defaults to a different device (e.g. internal sound).

In this case there should only be the Spotify audio stream and Windows will normally bypass the mixer. However as soon as two audio streams are mixed (e.g. system sounds and the main audio) the windows mixer will kick in AND STAY ENGAGED.

It is possible to use third party software (Audio Router, Equalify etc.) to operate so Spotify audio is sent to your DAC, while all system sounds remain on the build in audio system, this case with a 44.1kHz/16 Bit default setting should be bit-perfect (fingers crossed).

https://tall-paul.co.uk/2013/08/16/play-spotify-through-a-different-sound-device-windows/

We hope this helps.
Very handy info, thank you!

Nov 15, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #8,179 of 9,047
Thanks for the guide! And it does prompt me to re-examine my system settings.

Yup, my Windows 10 is on silent scheme (no system sound kicking in that I have encountered so far).
I have also disabled all other on-board sound device (under Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers) leaving solely only iDSD BL enabled (shown in Device Manager as "iFi (by AMR) HD + USB Audio").

Notwithstanding iDSD BL is the sole sound device, am I correct to say that Windows mixer would still kick in (AND STAY ENGAGED), if for example I am listening to Spotify and browsing the web where an video/audio advert from the webpage starts to play in the background (two audio streams?) or, for example I click the 'play' button on the YouTube guide above and was listening to Spotify at the same time?

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #8,180 of 9,047
Notwithstanding iDSD BL is the sole sound device, am I correct to say that Windows mixer would still kick in (AND STAY ENGAGED), if for example I am listening to Spotify and browsing the web where an video/audio advert from the webpage starts to play in the background (two audio streams?) or, for example I click the 'play' button on the YouTube guide above and was listening to Spotify at the same time?
Yes.

(plus video sound is usually encoded at 48k, not 44k1)

Nov 21, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #8,181 of 9,047
I just got a iDSD BL, and am pretty blown away by the step up in sound quality. Coming from the Schiit Modi2U + Magni 2U combo, I personally think the step up from the Schiit stack to the iDSD BL is even audible compared to my headphones direct to the computer. I listen almost exclusively to electronic music and am quite a basshead. Also I have pretty easy cans to drive - HE400i.

I now use the iDSD BL with the bass boost on all the time. Was wondering if the iCan SE would be a significant step up. I've never tried tube amps, and am curious about the Tubestate technology. Also the 3 step XBass seems attractive. Sadly, it is not the same as the iDSD BL's XBass+. Anyone have any opinions on this and whether my headphones would benefit at all (especially since they are extremely easy to drive).

Also, as the iCan SE has been out for almost 2 years if i'm not wrong, I'm wondering if a iCan BL or an upgraded iCan (non-pro version) is in the works.

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #8,182 of 9,047
I just got a iDSD BL, and am pretty blown away by the step up in sound quality. Coming from the Schiit Modi2U + Magni 2U combo, I personally think the step up from the Schiit stack to the iDSD BL is even audible compared to my headphones direct to the computer. I listen almost exclusively to electronic music and am quite a basshead. Also I have pretty easy cans to drive - HE400i.

I now use the iDSD BL with the bass boost on all the time. Was wondering if the iCan SE would be a significant step up. I've never tried tube amps, and am curious about the Tubestate technology. Also the 3 step XBass seems attractive. Sadly, it is not the same as the iDSD BL's XBass+. Anyone have any opinions on this and whether my headphones would benefit at all (especially since they are extremely easy to drive).

Also, as the iCan SE has been out for almost 2 years if i'm not wrong, I'm wondering if a iCan BL or an upgraded iCan (non-pro version) is in the works.

Our TubeState tech is actually a solid state based solution, there are no tubes inside iCAN SE. This product operates in Class A, hence sounds warm, spacious and natural in general and resembles tubes in a way or two. If you look for a headphone amplifier, iCAN SE is the best one we have currently and aside our Pro range.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 23, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #8,183 of 9,047

I've heard that the XBass+ switch on the Black Label is slightly better than the 2nd step of Xbass on the iCAN SE, but the 3rd step of the iCAN SE takes it up a notch.

Nov 23, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #8,184 of 9,047
Interesting thing happened. My Brainwavz M100 iems just arrived. I was curious to see how they sound so I plugged them into my iDSD BL for a quick listen. Imagine my surprise when the bass literally disappeared. Not just the sub-bass thump, entire bass line from Drive by R.E.M vanished. This occurs regardless of the gain settings and the built-in IEMatch. However I also own a standalone IEMatch and if I plug the M100 using it everything sounds fine. Is there a logical explanation to all of this?

Nov 23, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #8,185 of 9,047
Interesting thing happened. My Brainwavz M100 iems just arrived. I was curious to see how they sound so I plugged them into my iDSD BL for a quick listen. Imagine my surprise when the bass literally disappeared. Not just the sub-bass thump, entire bass line from Drive by R.E.M vanished. This occurs regardless of the gain settings and the built-in IEMatch. However I also own a standalone IEMatch and if I plug the M100 using it everything sounds fine. Is there a logical explanation to all of this?
Yes. The plug is not correctly seated in the socket and is not making proper contact. Sounds like the ground connection is missing so what you are hearing is the difference between the left and right channels.

Squirt some contact cleaner onto the plug and twirl it around in the socket until normal service is resumed.

Nov 23, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #8,186 of 9,047
Yes. The plug is not correctly seated in the socket and is not making proper contact. Sounds like the ground connection is missing so what you are hearing is the difference between the left and right channels.

Squirt some contact cleaner onto the plug and twirl it around in the socket until normal service is resumed.
Interesting, I'll check this once I get home.

Nov 23, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #8,187 of 9,047
Thanks for the replies, just got myself an iCAN SE to use with the iDSD BL. Have only had 30 minutes to listen to it.

Our TubeState tech is actually a solid state based solution, there are no tubes inside iCAN SE. This product operates in Class A, hence sounds warm, spacious and natural in general and resembles tubes in a way or two. If you look for a headphone amplifier, iCAN SE is the best one we have currently and aside our Pro range.

What would be the best way to run both the iDSD BL with the iCAN SE? I understand the bass boost is done via an analogue signal process. Should I run the iDSD in pre-amp mode, and engage the XBass+, or run it in direct mode and engage the XBass on the iCAN SE? What happens if i do both?

Also, based on the gain selections, would it best to have the iDSD BL or Eco or Normal, and then have the iCAN on higher gain? Or vice versa?

I've heard that the XBass+ switch on the Black Label is slightly better than the 2nd step of Xbass on the iCAN SE, but the 3rd step of the iCAN SE takes it up a notch.

Not sure if i'm using the iCAN SE properly, but there seems to be only 2 selections of the iCAN SE's XBass:
1) Direct (no bass boost)
2) 3 dots - maximum bass boost
3) 1 dot - normal bass boost

From preliminary hearing, the maximum bass boost does increase the HE400i's bass significantly, i quite like it. Compared to the iDSD BL XBass+, the iDSD BL seems to offer more tightness and transient bass response (bass quality) at the expense of some bass quantity.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #8,189 of 9,047
Poor (no) ground contact between the 3.5mm plug and 6.3mm -> 3.5mm adapter. Please try a different adapter.
No longer occurs after swapping the adapters. Thanks iFi and technobear!

Nov 24, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #8,190 of 9,047
What would be the best way to run both the iDSD BL with the iCAN SE? I understand the bass boost is done via an analogue signal process. Should I run the iDSD in pre-amp mode, and engage the XBass+, or run it in direct mode and engage the XBass on the iCAN SE? What happens if i do both?
That is for you to decide (but I would recommend 'Direct' mode).

Remember that in pre-amp mode, if you engage 3D you will get '3D for speakers', not '3D for headphones' from the RCA outputs.

Also, based on the gain selections, would it best to have the iDSD BL or Eco or Normal, and then have the iCAN on higher gain? Or vice versa?
Again it's for you to decide (but I would recommend 'Eco'). The gain should be set to give you a decent useable range on the volume control with YOUR headphones so we cannot advise, it's up to you.

Not sure if I'm using the iCAN SE properly, but there seems to be only 2 selections of the iCAN SE's XBass:
1) Direct (no bass boost)
2) 3 dots - maximum bass boost
3) 1 dot - normal bass boost
Correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back