iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Feb 20, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #7,501 of 9,047

Can someone tell me how can I use the iPurifier 2 with the micro? Do I need any other cable than the original blue usb cable that came along with the micro?

The iPurifier 2 should be connected directly (or as close as possible) to the Micro. If your iP2 is type B just use either of the usb type B adapters that came with the Micro.

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #7,502 of 9,047
Can anyone confirm that the iDSD Micro works with the Sony Walkman NW-WM1Z/1A if used with the Sony WMC-NWH10 cable adapter (WM port to USB A female).
I asked in the Sony thread but received no response.
Thanks.

Feb 22, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #7,504 of 9,047
Which is the best USB port to connect idsd BL 2.0 or 3.0.? I have a question about my current connection. USB 2.0 Notebook> hub (with power suply) 3.0> AQ Jitterbug> USB cable PURPLE PLUS USB (Analysis Plus)> adapter idsd box included> iDSD BL> direct to external preamp. What do you think?

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #7,505 of 9,047
Which is the best USB port to connect idsd BL 2.0 or 3.0.? I have a question about my current connection. USB 2.0 Notebook> hub (with power suply) 3.0> AQ Jitterbug> USB cable PURPLE PLUS USB (Analysis Plus)> adapter idsd box included> iDSD BL> direct to external preamp. What do you think?

If I were you, I would keep it as simple as possible for a pathway to connect to maximze sound. Additional junctions will impact sound quality in different ways thought sometimes, not huge.

As for USB2.0 or USB3.0, I would say USB3.0 but really, if you can't hear a difference like me. Don't bother. AFAIK, if your notebook USB is 2.0, connecting to a USB3.0 hub doesn't make it 3.0.

Hope it helps
Bilson

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #7,506 of 9,047
Thank you for your attention to my question.
I share your idea that the best way is the simplest one  however in my case there is some justification.to the steps included. According to the specifications of my hub, the jub's external power  replaces the usb bus of the computer, and  gives a better power quality than the usb port . From there the final  sound obtained was more clear  adding the AQ Jitterbug between usb hub and usb cable .  I have also changed the usb cable comes with  idsd by a new cable usb hi end . This cable has a plug type B so I was forced to enter in the path the adapter that brings the idsd BL.
Picking out computer  usb 2.0 to the hub 3.0 it  was to stay  on a system with less grit than the computer output 3.0 
I think the final sound output is more transparent and exactly than when I connect directly the  computer with  idsd BL.
I await  some of my friends who have shown very good hearing in the audio tests for the final veredict.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #7,507 of 9,047
USB 2.0 v.s. USB 3.0 ports "should" not make any difference to the sound, but there has always been some general rule-of-thumb that if a USB DAC has issues on USB 3.0 then it's best to use a USB 2.0 port instead.

This is particularly the case for older computers (3+ years old) that was made during the transition period between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. Back then, a lot of computers had the basic Intel USB 2.0 controller chip, plus some third party USB 3.0 chip just to add the USB 3.0 capability at a lower cost than Intel's solution at the time.

For example for desktop motherboards, older Intel chipset could only provide 2 or 4 USB 3.0 ports, so a lot of companies added in additional third-party USB 3.0 controller chip to add more ports for convenience.

Not all of these third party USB 3.0 controller circuits are designed equally, so some have more aggressive power management, data queuing, and noise on the USB bus power line. Quite often a DAC (particularly when running DSD256, PCM384kHz etc) works flawlessly on one USB port, but causes pops and dropouts when connected to another port running on another controller.

Similarly many laptops have webcam, bluetooth, touchpad etc that are all connected internally to a USB controller (they are essentially USB peripherals connected internally), so some USB ports share the same controller as the bluetooth for example, and the DAC drops out when bluetooth is turned on. More expensive laptops are often designed generously compared to the cheaper models.

It's best to look at the Device Manager (with View > Devices by connection) to see exactly which controller the DAC is connected to, and how many other devices it is sharing the controller with.

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #7,508 of 9,047

First print with hub. Second direct to usb computer . Is it possible with these screenshot see which controller the DAC is connected to, and how many other devices it is sharing the controller with.

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #7,509 of 9,047
Does anyone else wishes the IEM button was not sticking out as much as it does?
I put my x100r on the bottom of the idsd (because is flat) and every time I pulled it out of my bag it switches the button to iems, I have full size cans (Fostex 900mkii)

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #7,510 of 9,047
  First print with hub. Second direct to usb computer . Is it possible with these screenshot see which controller the DAC is connected to, and how many other devices it is sharing the controller with.

Your screenshots just misses the exact location that the iFi is connected to. You might need to open up some trees (e.g. PCI Express) to see where the iFi is physically connected to.
The grayed out "iFi (by AMR) HD+ USB Audio" is not a physical connection but a hidden information about something you may have plugged in previously (so that Windows don't have to keep installing drivers thinking it is a brand new device).

Below is an example of my computer at the moment, which shows that the micro iDSD is connected to the ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller, which is internally hooked up to Intel PCI Express Root Port 5, in the main PCI Express Root Complex.

You can also see underneath another tree set of USB ports provided by Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller, which has my USB keyboard, mouse, mass storage (HDD) etc connected to it.

I'm not saying this tell you what is good or bad, but it is the first thing to check if you want to see how things are hooked up inside your computer, and isolate any issues that you might be experiencing. Also, some root hubs (mostly on laptops) can report back on how much current each device is drawing (in Properties), to see if the DAC is having to share the power with any other devices.

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #7,511 of 9,047
I put my x100r on the bottom of the idsd (because is flat) and every time I pulled it out of my bag it switches the button to iems, I have full size cans (Fostex 900mkii)

There should be a sheet of Teflon-type stuff in the box. This is to go between the iDSD and another device such as a phone. This might stop the problem. If not, try magic tape over the switch.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #7,512 of 9,047

Pop off the button, it's easy. I actually set my settings to the spots I wanted and popped them all off, so I never accidentally switch them. I placed them all in a ziplock bag if I were to ever sell the device.

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #7,514 of 9,047

1-ifi connected to Hub 2- ifi connected to computer 
The Hub has a ac-dc connect and is provided with a automatic switch who change the USB electrical current to its  owen power  source 
I know that ifi can only be supplied with its own battery or use the current coming from the usb cable .Which of the two modes offers a cleaner current?

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #7,515 of 9,047
Got a black label yesterday, only listened maybe 30 minutes so far, and haven't gotten to try out my full sized. I plan on doing a run tonight with dac only to my pioneer sx1010, to he4s, then also trying the pre amplifier/dac to the 1010, along with maybe speaker listening if I can get that in before kids need to goto bed. Either way, I'm a happy guy right now. The detail, seperation, and prat this thing is giving off, with just the 1more triple drivers, fed from fiio x3 coaxial out as transport. Can not wait to see how my he4 pairs with this as both amp/dac, or preamp/dac to the 1010. The sx1010, which I rebuilt, has been my favorite audio purchase thus far, and ive bought 2 now, really really looking forward to having this device connected to it! Just want to say a big thank you to everyone who's written reviews on this, it convinced me very quickly to buy one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back