iFi iDAC & iUSBPower appreciation thread
Mar 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #16 of 63
If I connect to a powered DAC, do I need to connect the iUSB to a power supply?
I know it will work without the power supply (Asus Xonar Muses edition worked), but will the iUSB be working in its full potential?

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #19 of 63
Would the iFi iUSB improve the sound of the HRT Music Streamer ii+?  I'm almost certain, based on the review I've read, that it WOULD improve the new Music Streamer HD, which I could then move up to after getting the iFi iUSB.

Also, the O2 is unusable for my HE-500 using an iMac->HRT MSii+->O2.  This isn't a problem for my Magni in place of the O2.  I'm getting into squabbles about the O2, since I find it inferior to the Magni for the the HE-500 and I'm curious if the problem is that I'm running the MSii+ directly from the iMac.

Thoughts?

Mar 20, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #20 of 63
Also, I'm confused by this product.  It has two usb ins and nothing else.  How then, is it powered?

Mar 20, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #21 of 63
Sorry, looked it up and understand now that the dual USB out is for the dual USB cable they've got coming out and power cable port is on the other side.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #22 of 63
If I connect to a powered DAC, do I need to connect the iUSB to a power supply?
I know it will work without the power supply (Asus Xonar Muses edition worked), but will the iUSB be working in its full potential?

The way I read it, the whole POINT is that it's a dedicated, noise free, independent power source. So yeah, plug it in.

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #23 of 63
Quote:
The way I read it, the whole POINT is that it's a dedicated, noise free, independent power source. So yeah, plug it in.

Thank you.

I am so much busy these days to do any impressions or reviews....

I just want to mention, that my DACPORT LX do benefit from the ifiusb...a lot!

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #24 of 63
Thank you.

I am so much busy these days to do any impressions or reviews....

I just want to mention, that my DACPORT LX do benefit from the ifiusb...a lot!

I'm hoping to use it with an HRT MS HD when I eventually upgrade from my MSii+.

Mar 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #25 of 63
Quote:
Hello,

I've been racking my brain the last couple of months on which DAC I should acquire to replace my Fiio E17 in my rig ( Rega Brio-R, iMac, Wharfedale Diamond 10.2). The ifi iDac & iUSB are strong contenders.  I'm stuck on the following :

DACs Model
Musical Fidelity V-LINK192
bel canto uLink
bel canto mLink
schiit Bifrost
schiit Gungnir
Rega DAC
ifi iDAC
ifi iUSB
Emotiva XDA-2
Cambridge DacMagic 100 Digital to Analogue Converter

Does anyone out there have any experience with the listed DACs above compared to ifi iDAC & ifi iUSB?

Thanks!

I have been running the iUSB for almost a month now with a Bifrost I got in January.  Does it make improvements to the Bifrost?  Yes.  I emailed Jason@Schiit.com if he thought the iUSB would make any difference in sound quality.  He didn't think it should really do anything because the Bifrost senses the 5V coming from a USB source but it is filtered and decoupled.  I have found so far that the iUSB adds a level of focus to the music presentation.  So singers, instruments are more defined in the soundstage.  There is better separation between the players.  So this means that it is helping the overall resolution of the stereo system.  Some folks over on ComputerAudiophile.com are hearing more differences due to using different DAC's.  So depending on what DAC you use with it will depend on what kind of improvement the iUSB will make to your system.  I feel it is well worth the $199.  

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #26 of 63
Quote:

I have been running the iUSB for almost a month now with a Bifrost I got in January.  Does it make improvements to the Bifrost?  Yes.  I emailed Jason@Schiit.com if he thought the iUSB would make any difference in sound quality.  He didn't think it should really do anything because the Bifrost senses the 5V coming from a USB source but it is filtered and decoupled.  I have found so far that the iUSB adds a level of focus to the music presentation.  So singers, instruments are more defined in the soundstage.  There is better separation between the players.  So this means that it is helping the overall resolution of the stereo system.  Some folks over on ComputerAudiophile.com are hearing more differences due to using different DAC's.  So depending on what DAC you use with it will depend on what kind of improvement the iUSB will make to your system.  I feel it is well worth the  

I totally agree with you.
With some DACs the difference/advantage is clearer than others.
Thank you for the heads-up.

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #27 of 63
Hi,

Quote:
Reviews:
http://www.audiostream.com/content/ifi-idac-iusbpower
http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/10/02/2013/ifi-audio-idac-and-iusb-power-amazing-miniature-wonders/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650680/news-meridian-releases-the-explorer-pocket-sized-usb-dac/315#post_9197087
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2013/01/amr-ifi-iusbpower-review/

Found this video review on youtube, seems korean? It gives no idea on sound, but a good impression otherwise what it is like:

Cheerio Rich

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #28 of 63
iDAC driver has been updated to v1.61. Download here.

If you are using Windows 8, it might say it is not supported during update but it will still install it without problem.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #30 of 63
Quote:
Has anyone tried the iUSB with the Audiophilleo 2 converter?  Will it even work?  Just considering a more economical option versus the PurePower.

I see no reason why it won't work. After all, iUSB Power doesn't interfere with the data line, but only the power line.

You might also want to look into iFi iLink as well, just released this month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back