ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Oct 14, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #1,938 of 2,267
One ifi device Pro iDSD is powered with 15v. How can it be that only one power supply with 15v is needed to power two devices (with rhe pro iDSD and pro iCan connected via the ifi cable for dc out and in)? Does it work like a passthrough?
as far as I know its a pass through , it works and no real drop off , im using a singular elite currently , id imagien they be some what more benefit to a second

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #1,939 of 2,267
With all the tube rolling done here I wonder if anyone has tried a fuse upgrade? Anybody know what size fuse the ican takes?

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #1,941 of 2,267
Most would say there’s no difference between tubes, Class A or AB or D solid state, cables, balanced or single ended, etc. How do you know until you try?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #1,942 of 2,267
Most would say there’s no difference between tubes, Class A or AB or D solid state, cables, balanced or single ended, etc. How do you know until you try?
There generally isn’t a sound difference between SE and Balanced cables though , my point being is a fuse will not impart a sonic difference , just one of the snake oils

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #1,943 of 2,267
There generally isn’t a sound difference between SE and Balanced cables though , my point being is a fuse will not impart a sonic difference , just one of the snake oils
Have you tried?

Nov 3, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #1,945 of 2,267
New acrylic plastic to enclose the iCan pro and organize my bedside setup

Attachments

• 20211103_212428.jpg
    20211103_212428.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 8, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #1,946 of 2,267
So good folks...
I just got my brand new ican signature.
I promptly got it set up via RCA ( d7s mqa Dac ) and plugged in my Heddphone through the balanced 4.4 connector...
Fired up roon..
And found the sound level ..

... underwhelming ( 0 DB ) :triportsad:
I even cranked the volume pot all the way up... No success.

What gives? Do I have to use gain? ( I don't want to )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further troubleshooting :

I connected the Senn HD800s via 4.4 and the result is the same - Underwhelming sound levels.
Fortunately, I have a 4.4 to XLR Adapter.
I connected the Senns using the adapter and while the sound level doesn't increase to ear-splitting levels, it is loud enough that I can now dial the volume pot down (12'o clock ) without losing adequate volume.

I connected the headphone again using the XLR adapter and the sound level is ...adequate yet still a wee bit underwhelming,. I was hoping the ican has enough juice I never have to move past the 12'o clock position on the headphone. Can't say that's the case here.

Finally, I connected the LCD-X via the single-ended connection. It is a very easy-to-drive pair of cans.. and the ican goes to almost ear-splitting levels past 12'o clock.

Also, the wa7 fireflies does drive all of my cans loud enough even though it has less out power than the iCan pro.

Something's going on with that 4.4 balanced connection and volume levels overall.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #1,947 of 2,267
You should connect it through XLR, it's a balanced amp and XLR provides double the voltage -> a lot more power.
Why are you so reticent in using the gain switch, it's there for a reason, so you should not need to get past 1-2 o'clock on the volume pot not to mention that the best sound comes when you attenuate the volume on the dac and crank the gain on the amp, especially with delta sigma dacs, opens up the soundstage and tames the edginess a bit, plus a lot of headphones benefit from a higher current.

Nov 10, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #1,948 of 2,267
You should connect it through XLR, it's a balanced amp and XLR provides double the voltage -> a lot more power.
Why are you so reticent in using the gain switch, it's there for a reason, so you should not need to get past 1-2 o'clock on the volume pot not to mention that the best sound comes when you attenuate the volume on the dac and crank the gain on the amp, especially with delta sigma dacs, opens up the soundstage and tames the edginess a bit, plus a lot of headphones benefit from a higher current.
I have never liked gain. for me, the music just seems to bloom too much

Also, look at the following thread where I have discussed the issue in more detail ( and the XLR to XLR connections don't help. I get the same volume levels as RCA )

"https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...-the-pro-range-just-got-better.959878/page-12"

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #1,949 of 2,267
I have never liked gain. for me, the music just seems to bloom too much

Also, look at the following thread where I have discussed the issue in more detail ( and the XLR to XLR connections don't help. I get the same volume levels as RCA )

"https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...-the-pro-range-just-got-better.959878/page-12"
Threw my eyes over the other thread, so they forgot to mention that the Pentaconn is in fact a IEMatch output with low voltage? Or is it just your unit that's faulty? Either way, I can see why you're gutted.

Nov 11, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #1,950 of 2,267
they forgot to mention that the Pentaconn is in fact a IEMatch output with low voltage
On the product page ..and the manual.

Also I am not gutted. It’s just a device. Something else can replace it. :smile:

Disappointed?
Yes. By the misleading information, the lack of knowledge about their own product … and the ‘It’s our mistake but the onus in you to adjust’ attitude !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back