ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Oct 8, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #1,921 of 2,267
Interesting.
So you are suggesting tubes don’t gel with the TT2s ?
I plan to use the ican in standard SS mode mainly but it’s a bummer that tube modes with TT2 might sound undesirable.

Also tempted by the mscaler addon later down the road. Might invest in a 1266 TC too.
I use a TT2 and I like the XBass feature with it. I also use a TT2 as a DAC before a tube preamp. I like how clean and transparent the TT2 is, but I also like how I can easily add tube coloration on a clean canvas so to speak. I do like the iFi DAC implementations, but I still prefer the TT2 FPGA as a big step up just from a DAC point of view. As an all-in-one, the TT2 ain't too shabby either. The upgrade path of TT2 (e.g. M-Scaler or SRC-DX with HQPlayer) is also quite desirable.

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #1,922 of 2,267
Interesting.
I plan to use the ican in standard SS mode mainly but it’s a bummer that tube modes with TT2 might sound undesirable.

Also tempted by the mscaler addon later down the road. Might invest in a 1266 TC too.
@Nisachar no, I am not suggesting that tubes may not play well with TT2 however iCan Pro tube modes are very, very gentle and may not be what you are looking for. Further more the difference between Tube and Tube+ modes can be very subtle. If you are looking for more tube-centric sound I would choose different amp than iCan Pro with stock tubes. The other thing is that why do you want TT2? If you want it due to very clean sound without distortion than I would rethink adding tubes which will add distortion. If you want to due to its musicality than I would say adding tubes maybe right direction.

The 2 things where iCan Pro can shine potentially with TT2 is: xbass and 3d. TT2 is great with acoustic music and has already rather wide scene, but you may want to experiment with 3d further. xbass is great with most cans and dacs. Still, I would not pair iCan Pro with TT2.

Oct 8, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #1,923 of 2,267
Interesting.

I own the iCan and iDSD and had the chance to compare the combo with a TT2 and MScaler. Headphone was the TC.

The ifi combo is great because of versatility and XBass/3d function. The TC does not need a bass or 3d boost, however. In direct comparison, both ifi and chord are very strong and more a preference than a clear winner. ifi is musical and organic, TT2 is holographic and clean. Things get titled in favor of the TT2 with a MScaler, but you also talking about a 5k device added.

If you want the ifi combo for tubes, do it like me and replace the stock tube with WA396A, see my post Post #1,576 of 1,922
I am happy with my idsd/ican with the tc.

Oct 8, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #1,924 of 2,267
Interesting.

Boy I only had positive impressions with the iCAN paired with my TT2 in any of the modes. I had WE 396A tubes in mine, but actually mostly used the SS mode with TT2. I enjoyed that much more than the built in TT2 amp, which itself is pretty good. The iCAN added some warmth and body and smoothed out the shouty tendencies of the TT2. I replaced my iCAN with a ZMF Pendant SE which also goes great with the TT2. The output impedance on the iCAN is also a better match for higher impedance headphones than that on the TT2.

Oct 8, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #1,925 of 2,267
Boy I only had positive impressions with the iCAN paired with my TT2 in any of the modes. I had WE 396A tubes in mine, but actually mostly used the SS mode with TT2. I enjoyed that much more than the built in TT2 amp, which itself is pretty good. The iCAN added some warmth and body and smoothed out the shouty tendencies of the TT2. I replaced my iCAN with a ZMF Pendant SE which also goes great with the TT2. The output impedance on the iCAN is also a better match for higher impedance headphones than that on the TT2.
I never said that iCan Pro is not going to be a positive experience, I just think that there are other options but obviously YMMV. However if one is into more smooth, a bit warmer yet musical sound I would get MHA150 instead of TT2 and iCan Pro as much cheaper yet also very enjoyable option. Haven't heard the iCan Pro Signature with TT2 but I don't think it will be a night and day difference.

Oct 8, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #1,926 of 2,267
I never said that iCan Pro is not going to be a positive experience, I just think that there are other options but obviously YMMV. However if one is into more smooth, a bit warmer yet musical sound I would get MHA150 instead of TT2 and iCan Pro as much cheaper yet also very enjoyable option. Haven't heard the iCan Pro Signature with TT2 but I don't think it will be a night and day difference.
Sorry, shouldn't have quoted your post and really meant it as more of a general comment to add to this particular discussion.

Oct 8, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #1,927 of 2,267
Sorry, shouldn't have quoted your post and really meant it as more of a general comment to add to this particular discussion.
No problem and no offence taken @robo24 :) Its great to be able to share our own experiences about those great amps :) At the end of the day what really matters is to enjoy both the music and the discussion. Nothing beats hearing those amps on your own too.

Oct 8, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #1,928 of 2,267
I like how clean and transparent the TT2 is, but I also like how I can easily add tube coloration on a clean canvas so to speak.
That's what I was thinking too. I can switch to my wa7 FF for tube mode or the SS oomph of the iCan ( + occasional wee bit musicality with tubes on the ican ) while retaining the clarity of the TT2
iCan Pro tube modes are very, very gentle and may not be what you are looking for
why do you want TT2? If you want it due to very clean sound without distortion than I would rethink adding tubes which will add distortion. If you want to due to its musicality than I would say adding tubes maybe right direction.
Thanks for your detailed reply.
Regarding the tube sound, I have a wa7 Fireflies 2nd Gen (before this, my only experience with amps was of the SS variety ), and I love the Tube musicality (pairs great with my hd800s).

However, I am not a fan of the tube sound with the Heddphone. And with my LCD-X too, it's a bit too much. So I decided to go with the iCan pro as a good all-rounder amp.

The tube/Tube+ modes would be helpful for the hd800s too (even if they aren't quite the full tube-y goodness, to add that bit of musicality) + the Xbass to inject some meaty bass back in these cans.
The SS mode would be for the LCD-X, Heddphone, and the potential 1266 TC.

TT2 is holographic and clean. Things get titled in favor of the TT2 with a MScaler, but you also talking about a 5k device added.
I am looking for clean. If I am not mistaken, the iCan provides a bit of warmth and a wee bit of tube melody to complement the clean nature of the TT2.

Regarding mscaler, I am trying out the HQplayer, Foobar with PGGB addon, to see if I like these upscaling methods.
- Initial thoughts seem to be that they are driving the audio level down ( I am using the volume knob around the 11-01 o'clock positions with the wa7 amp, whereas before 11 and below were adequate. Or perhaps I am messing something up there. )
- If I like the upscale route, I would rather it gets handled on the HW end so that I am not messing with software settings, tweaking things endlessly, but let's see if I even like this upscaling stuff and whether the software options can handle that for me.
- You are right about the price point, though.
If you want the ifi combo for tubes, do it like me and replace the stock tube with WA396A, see my post Post #1,576 of 1,922
I am happy with my idsd/ican with the tc.
Initially, I did lean towards the ifi stack, and It's good to know the TC does very well with them.

I will certainly give this some thought.
Thanks for your help.

The iCAN added some warmth and body and smoothed out the shouty tendencies of the TT2
That's what I thought. They might complement each other. Thanks for confirming.

All in all, fantastic feedback from you all.
Great community. :o2smile::beerchug::o2smile:

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #1,929 of 2,267
My Ifi Power Elite just arrived from Amazon, and I was very sure it would go back and that I would not hear a difference with my iDSD/iCan Pro.
This thing will go nowhere and stay exactly where it is. More punch, dynamics, space. Amazing.

The only thing which puzzles me is why ifi Audio slapped the shipping label right on the box, so that the nice packaging arrived in a dirty, battered state. Some paper wrap love for a 330dollar device, please.

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #1,930 of 2,267
My Ifi Power Elite just arrived from Amazon, and I was very sure it would go back and that I would not hear a difference with my iDSD/iCan Pro.
This thing will go nowhere and stay exactly where it is. More punch, dynamics, space. Amazing.

The only thing which puzzles me is why ifi Audio slapped the shipping label right on the box, so that the nice packaging arrived in a dirty, battered state. Some paper wrap love for a 330dollar device, please.

Exactly my experience, for my secondary setup I've bought a battery for the DAC and an iFi Power Elite for the iCan pro thinking maybe I'll hear a small difference. More like hoping. Oh boy I was in for a treat.
I guess the upgrade to the Signature will not be needed.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #1,932 of 2,267
Never afraid to ask a stupid question: is the Power Elite used for the iDSD Pro or the iCan Pro? Or do you get one for each?
Ideal scenario is one for each , i have one for my idsd then daisy chaining a dc to dc cable into ican will more likely get a secondary elite eventually

Oct 14, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #1,935 of 2,267
It comes in four different flavors: 5, 12, 15 and 24 V and has some adaptors as well so you can use it with pretty much anything, not just iFi products.
kinda wish it had variable voltage that really would have made it shine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back