ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Mar 1, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #1,021 of 2,267
Basically, the iDSD micro offers more options as a headphone amplifier than the Pro iDSD (such as XBass, 3D sound stage correction and different matching possibilities etc.), but the DAC part won’t be nearly as good as the Pro iDSD.

Also the micro is portable (with its own battery) for use with a mobile phone too, if needed

The Pro iCAN doesn’t have a DAC at all, but is an amazing headphone amp (and pre-amp too), with all the headphone options the iDSD micro offers and many more as well as valve (tube) options.

If you have the cash, I’d purchase the iDSD micro for use alongside the Pro iCAN. - and if you have tonnes of cash, then the Pro ICan and the Pro iDSD to work together.

Between the Pro iDSD and the iDSD micro, If you’re looking mainly for headphone experience, I imagine the filters the iDSD micro offer probably outweigh the benefits of the superior DAC from the PRO.

But with a good pair of headphones like the HD800s, I would be wanting somehow to include the Pro iCAN in my set-up, as I have a feeling that the valve option on this amplifier would work particularly well with the HD800s

Fantastic input Katie88, thanks so much! :ok_hand:

Let me contextualize a bit better my setups and all my questions/doubts:

1 - At work I have been using the iFi Micro iDSD (with Roon for my library and Tidal-Hifi) with the Sennheiser HD800 (original non-S version). It is quite good, mostly for work as I am not dedicating 100% of my neurons to the sound quality. :wink: So I would say for this purpose, I am quite satisfied.

(As a side note: I would like to say I use the same setup on travel or "around the house", but I have not been able to make the iFi Micro iDSD work with an iPad Pro 10.5'' (2017 version) or with my cell phone Xiaomi Mi5 (2017). It is simply frustrating, it establishes a connection, I get sound for a few seconds and then the connection is lost. I gave up on it, which is quite bad since it should be one of the primary uses of the Micro iDSD - iFi audio team, if you read this, any insight would be very much appreciated)

2 - At home, I have a stereo speaker system with which I feel very happy with:
- Synology DS916+ (running Roon server) - Auralic Aries Mini streamer - USB to Auralic Vega DAC (which in EXACT mode is a totally different beast than AUTO clock mode) - Pathos Ethos amplified - ProAc Response D48R
As you can see, I am unable to listen to headphones at home. I recently brought the iFi Micro iDSD with me to home, and I realized how much better the Sennheiser HD800 can sound if using only the Headphone amp of the Micro iDSD fed with an analogue signal from the Auralic Vega Dac (as would be expected, of course, considering it is a +3000Eur/USD dedicated Dac).

This made me wonder how much of the HD800 potential I have been missing all this time, so a better dedicated Headphone Amp came to my mind.. I have been curious with the iFi iCan Pro, but unfortunately I have not been able to listen to it in Portugal (I contacted the official dealer a week ago by email, but got no response). It would also be nice for me to have an Head-amp with remote control (which the iFi iCan Pro does not have - EDIT: does have a remote!), as I could sit/lay down in my couch 2 meters away from my hifi rack, but I guess if sound-wise it is great, I could adapt to the lack of volume control (maybe controlling volume with the Vega Dac)... I also have a few other amps in mind, including:
- Violectric v281,
- Auralic Taurus mk II,
- SPL Phonitor X or SPL Phonitor E
...but again I have not been able to demo any of these, which at this price range is quite difficult for me to purchase blindly (unless a very good deal shows up...).

Another question I have is whether I should consider Headphone Amps only, or Headphone Amp + DAC, as if I wish to "transport" it to another place (home office, bedside table...), I would be able to do so without depending on another external Dac, such as for example:
- Sony ta zh1es (on offer at 1200Eur; could not use a balanced connection from the Vega Dac)
- Sennheiser HDV 820 (probably a very good match for the Sennheiser HD800, could use balanced connection)
- Chord Hugo 2 (unbalanced only)
- RME ADI-2 Pro (balanced)

Any "fresh" input is very much appreciated! :)

Hi bfmcosta

I would say that the micro iDSD and the Pro iDSD are two very different animals.

The micro iDSD will certainly drive the Sennheisers - I'd describe it as an excellent, luxurious family car, excellent quality and perfect for everyday use.
The Pro is the convertible from the same range with the BIG engine and certainly a showstopper.
People generally choose the one that suits their listening habits and their budget. Both are excellent depending on your needs and wants.

Best wishes

iFi audio team

Thanks iFi audio team. I can easily anticipate the DAC section would be "incomparable" between the Micro iDSD and the iDSD Pro, but my question was more related to the headphone amp section only. In other words, which of these 2 setups do you think would sound better exclusively with the Sennheisers HD800:
- iFi iDSD Pro (only, with its built in headphone output)
- or iFi iDSD Pro DAC feeding an analogue signal to the iFi Micro iDSD

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #1,022 of 2,267

Let me contextualize a bit better my setups and all my questions/doubt:

1 - At work I have been using the iFi Micro iDSD (with Roon for my library and Tidal-Hifi) with the Sennheiser HD800 (original non-S version). It is quite good, mostly for work as I am not dedicating 100% of my neurons to the sound quality. :wink: So I would say for this purpose, I am quite satisfied.

(As a side note: I would like to say I use the same setup on travel or "around the house", but I have not been able to make the iFi Micro iDSD work with an iPad Pro 10.5ii (2017 version) or with my cell phone Xiaomi Mi5 (2017). It is simply frustrating, it establishes a connection, I get sound for a few seconds and then the connection is lost. I gave up on it, which is quite bad since it should be one of the primary uses of the Micro iDSD - iFi team, if you read this, any insight would be very much appreciated)

2 - At home, I have a system with which I feel very happy with:

Hi bfmcosta

It sounds like a poor USB connection (mechanically/electrically). I would make sure to test the OTG Adapter and/or Camera Connection Kit separately and any extra USB Cable used, to eliminate problems.

I hope that this helps.

Best wishes

iFi audio team

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 1, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #1,023 of 2,267

(As a side note: I would like to say I use the same setup on travel or "around the house", but I have not been able to make the iFi Micro iDSD work with an iPad Pro 10.5'' (2017 version) or with my cell phone Xiaomi Mi5 (2017). It is simply frustrating, it establishes a connection, I get sound for a few seconds and then the connection is lost. I gave up on it, which is quite bad since it should be one of the primary uses of the Micro iDSD - iFi audio team, if you read this, any insight would be very much appreciated)

- Synology DS916+ (running Roon server) - Auralic Aries Mini streamer - USB to Auralic Vega DAC (which in EXACT mode is a totally different beast than AUTO clock mode) - Pathos Ethos amplified - ProAc Response D48R
As you can see, I am unable to listen to headphones at home. I recently brought the iFi Micro iDSD with me to home, and I realized how much better the Sennheiser HD800 can sound if using only the Headphone amp of the Micro iDSD fed with an analogue signal from the Auralic Vega Dac (as would be expected, of course, considering it is a +3000Eur/USD dedicated Dac).

This made me wonder how much of the HD800 potential I have been missing all this time, so a better dedicated Headphone Amp came to my mind.. I have been curious with the iFi iCan Pro, but unfortunately I have not been able to listen to it in Portugal (I contacted the official dealer a week ago by email, but got no response). It would also be nice for me to have an Head-amp with remote control (which the iFi iCan Pro does not have), as I could sit/lay down in my couch 2 meters away from my hifi rack, but I guess if sound-wise it is great, I could adapt to the lack of volume control (maybe controlling volume with the Vega Dac)... I also have a few other amps in mind, including:
- Violectric v281,
- Auralic Taurus mk II,
...but again I have not been able to demo any of these, which at this price range is quite difficult for me to purchase blindly (unless a very good deal shows up...).

Another question I have is whether I should consider Headphone Amps only, or Headphone Amp + DAC, as if I wish to "transport" it to another place (home office, bedside table...), I would be able to do so without depending on another external Dac, such as for example:
- Sony ta zh1es (on offer at 1200Eur; could not use a balanced connection from the Vega Dac)
- Sennheiser HDV 820 (probably a very good match for the Sennheiser HD800, could use balanced connection)

Thanks iFi audio team. I can easily anticipate the DAC section would be "incomparable" between the Micro iDSD and the iDSD Pro, but my question was more related to the headphone amp section only. In other words, which of these 2 setups do you think would sound better exclusively with the Sennheisers HD800:

Hi bfmcosta

Why don't you try both and see which portability/flexibility option you prefer?

In terms of VFM, adding iCAN Pro to iDSD micro is a better choice to match a high end headphone than adding a super duper DAC to the admittedly good headphone amp in the iDSD micro. Then, at a later date upgrading from the iDSD micro to an iDSD Pro will give a significant and meaningful upgrade.

I hope that this helps.

Best wishes

iFi audio team

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 1, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #1,025 of 2,267

This made me wonder how much of the HD800 potential I have been missing all this time, so a better dedicated Headphone Amp came to my mind.. I have been curious with the iFi iCan Pro, but unfortunately I have not been able to listen to it in Portugal (I contacted the official dealer a week ago by email, but got no response). It would also be nice for me to have an Head-amp with remote control (which the iFi iCan Pro does not have), as I could sit/lay down in my couch 2 meters away from my hifi rack, but I guess if sound-wise it is great, I could adapt to the lack of volume control (maybe controlling volume with the Vega Dac)... I also have a few other amps in mind, including:
- Violectric v281,
- Auralic Taurus mk II,

I wonder what your setup chain looks like for the work setup. What streamer do you use to connect Roon and micro iDSD?

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #1,026 of 2,267
Hi bfmcosta

It sounds like a poor USB connection (mechanically/electrically). I would make sure to test the OTG Adapter and/or Camera Connection Kit separately and any extra USB Cable used, to eliminate problems.

Indeed, I have been using "aftermarket" USB cables. But I will gladly buy an original Apple Camera connection kit if that solves the issue! Will try that, thanks.

Hi bfmcosta

Why don't you try both and see which portability/flexibility option you prefer?

In terms of VFM, adding iCAN Pro to iDSD micro is a better choice to match a high end headphone than adding a super duper DAC to the admittedly good headphone amp in the iDSD micro. Then, at a later date upgrading from the iDSD micro to an iDSD Pro will give a significant and meaningful upgrade.

The reason I cannot try both options is really related to the cost! :wink:

Anyway, your suggestion of investing now more on a better Headphone Amp makes sense, and I will probably go that route. Indeed, now that I think about it, DACs are getting better and better, and less expensive, every year, while I think that is not really the case with headphone amps...

Try the hugo 2. You can use it ad an amp dac st work and line dac at home. Great sound. Great volume.

The only reason I consider the Hugo is the total flexibility/portability. But I am very afraid in terms of sound quality it would not really bring any benefits comparing to the setup I can use now (Auralic Vega Dac + iFi Micro iDSD as headphone amp). The fact the Hugo has no analogue inputs at all, and of course no balanced options, makes it less attractive in terms of sound quality only. Again, I do not how how good/great it sounds as a whole (Dac + Headphone Amp), but I am afraid it would be a "sidegrade" and not an upgrade...

I wonder what your setup chain looks like for the work setup. What streamer do you use to connect Roon and micro iDSD?

At work I simply connect the Micro iDSD via USB to my windows PC (which is connected via VPN to my Roon server running in the NAS at home :wink: )

Mar 1, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,027 of 2,267
We can talk about digital and analogue and balanced vs unbalanced, and this input vs that input, but I'll say this much... The hugo 2 with the utopias is one of the best and simplest setups I've ever had and I knew right away that it's special. HUGO 2 scales the best of your best headphones and works wonderfully well with most IEMs I have.

I've been waiting to buy the ifi black label, but at this point, I no longer feel it'll add anything, either at homeor while on the road.

Hugo 2 is great because you can take it to go or set it up in your home system... or do both, like I do. With chord blu, the results are amazing at home. There are articles out there about how well the two synergize.

I hear what youre saying about your home setup. You already have a lot invested ans probably are pretty happy with that setup. Vega dac is outstanding.

I'd recommend picking up a nicely used one. They are a little pricey, but you can likely sell it for near what you pay for it if you aren't thrilled.

As a side note, the ifi pro iESLand iESL is a great setup for home.it'll be great with iDSD or that vega.

Mar 1, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #1,028 of 2,267
Indeed, I have been using "aftermarket" USB cables. But I will gladly buy an original Apple Camera connection kit if that solves the issue! Will try that, thanks.

The reason I cannot try both options is really related to the cost! :wink:

Anyway, your suggestion of investing now more on a better Headphone Amp makes sense, and I will probably go that route. Indeed, now that I think about it, DACs are getting better and better, and less expensive, every year, while I think that is not really the case with headphone amps...

The only reason I consider the Hugo is the total flexibility/portability. But I am very afraid in terms of sound quality it would not really bring any benefits comparing to the setup I can use now (Auralic Vega Dac + iFi Micro iDSD as headphone amp). The fact the Hugo has no analogue inputs at all, and of course no balanced options, makes it less attractive in terms of sound quality only. Again, I do not how how good/great it sounds as a whole (Dac + Headphone Amp), but I am afraid it would be a "sidegrade" and not an upgrade...

At work I simply connect the Micro iDSD via USB to my windows PC (which is connected via VPN to my Roon server running in the NAS at home :wink: )

Hi bfmcosta

We wish you all the best with your system.

Best wishes

iFi audio team

Mar 1, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #1,029 of 2,267

It would also be nice for me to have an Head-amp with remote control (which the iFi iCan Pro does not have

The iFi iCan Pro does ship with a simple remote for volume control...at least mine did. I cannot comment on how well it works as I listen at desktop and do not use the remote.

Mar 1, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #1,030 of 2,267
Great, thanks for clarifying! I checked the information on the website and did not find anything regarding a remote control, but apparently it does come with one. Another positive for the iCan Pro :)

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #1,031 of 2,267
The iFi iCan Pro does ship with a simple remote for volume control...at least mine did. I cannot comment on how well it works as I listen at desktop and do not use the remote.
The remote that came with my Pro iCan is mediocre... but it does function, but rather slowly on the volume. It's definitely not up to par with the amp... which is outstanding!

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #1,032 of 2,267

Many thanks LoryWiv for your feedback.

Enjoy your Pro iCAN!

Best wishes

iFi audio team

Mar 2, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #1,033 of 2,267
Great, thanks for clarifying! I checked the information on the website and did not find anything regarding a remote control, but apparently it does come with one. Another positive for the iCan Pro :)

Many thanks bfmcosta for your comment.

Best wishes

iFi audio team

Mar 2, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #1,035 of 2,267
Speaking of remotes, what would I be able to name as the right model to program a Logitech programmable remote with? - ifi is not listed, but I’m sure there will be another model with the same coding, no?
I am also interested in this, as I use a Logitech Harmony remote for all my setups. Maybe iFi would be AMR? If not, one can always "teach" the majority of Logitech remotes using the original remote (iFi in this case)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back