ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Sep 27, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #857 of 2,267
Thanks ! I enjoy it with my Audeze, I just sometimes wonder if I'm getting the best out of it with the ifi.
But no complaints:)

Oh I think it will be giving you 100% of what the Audeze have to offer, other amps will be more for tuning the sound rather than giving more performance.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #858 of 2,267
Thanks ! I enjoy it with my Audeze, I just sometimes wonder if I'm getting the best out of it with the ifi.
But no complaints:)

My impression with the iCAN Pro driving my LCD-X, which may not be too far from your LCD3, is that it is up too it and scales high enough for this LCD.

By comparison, this is not the case with the Utopia. If I use the integrated amp of the RME ADI 2 Pro DAC, then connect instead the ifi Pro to this DAC to drive my Utopia, I can clearly notice a loss of detail. So it does not scale up high enough for what it is possible to reach with the Utopia re. detail retrieval, contrary to the LCD-X.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #859 of 2,267
My impression with the iCAN Pro driving my LCD-X, which may not be too far from your LCD3, is that it is up too it and scales high enough for this LCD.

By comparison, this is not the case with the Utopia. If I use the integrated amp of the RME ADI 2 Pro DAC, then connect instead the ifi Pro to this DAC to drive my Utopia, I can clearly notice a loss of detail. So it does not scale up high enough for what it is possible to reach with the Utopia re. detail retrieval, contrary to the LCD-X.
Interesting.
I wonder how the ifi ican pro compare to the BHA-1.

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #861 of 2,267
Adorama has the hek v2 + ican pro for $2,999 + free ship. You guys can do the math on that one :0

https://www.adorama.com/hmhe1000v2a...t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

The math is simple for a person who wants to purchase both the iCan Pro and the HEK v2. At a total cost of $2,999 it is equivalent to buying the HEK v2 at its retail price of $3,000 and getting the iCan Pro for free, or its equivalent to buying the iCan Pro for $1,699 and getting the HEKv2 for $1,300. I couldn't resist this deal and I ordered the combo from Adorama.

Jeff.

Oct 7, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #864 of 2,267
Totally agree.
I had LCD-X before, but back then I didn't have iCan pro and I was not impress
with LCD-X, so upgrade it with to HE1000.
Now, with iCan Pro, I am really happy with LCD-3.

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #865 of 2,267
I use the Benchmark DAC3 feeding my ifi Pro iCan (sorry ifi, pro iDSD took too long and I couldn't keep waiting).

I haven't noticed any loss of detail on the Utopia. If anything I might hear a little more dynamic bass/punch with the ifi, but this might be psychological. I can tell you the difference is easy to pick out with hard to drive headphones like the HD800's.

I made less than 1 foot cables from Canare star quad though after watching this video:

If you have a single power cable near a normal XLR cable it can lead to a higher noise floor (which would explain what you are hearing). Your observation definitely sounds like S/N related issue for sure, and I definitely believe you.

Also, you might try adjusting the gain setting down. My first ifi iCan Pro had a noisy volume control, but Adorama took care of it. These ifi pro products are not without fault, but they also provide world class sound.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #867 of 2,267
Hi,

When switching from ss to tube+ (when the tube stage is off) or starting from off, is it normal for the led to blink red during the few seconds the music mutes before the switch?
When i set tube mode, the light flashes green until the click, then turns amber when the music turns on. However, with tube+ the light flashes green until the click, then flashes red for 4-5 blinks before turning amber when the music starts.
I'm unsure if this has always been the behaviour, so wondering if anyone can comfirm that this is normal or not?

Oct 11, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #869 of 2,267
Hi,
When switching from ss to tube+ (when the tube stage is off) or starting from off, is it normal for the led to blink red during the few seconds the music mutes before the switch?

Yes, you are literally switching the whole circuit configuration, complete devices, so the circuit needs time to stabilise.

When i set tube mode, the light flashes green until the click, then turns amber when the music turns on.

It only does that when the tube heater is cold. What you notice there is the tube cathode being heated up to be functional. This is the blinking green

During this time the iCAN Pro continues to operate in Solid State mode, when the tube is ready to operate, it switches over.

You may see a short period of red light (meaning circuit being reconfigured) before the light turns Amber and music playback resumes.

However, with tube+ the light flashes green until the click, then flashes red for 4-5 blinks before turning amber when the music starts.
I'm unsure if this has always been the behaviour, so wondering if anyone can comfirm that this is normal or not?

It is normal. It simply means the circuit requires some time to stabilize all operating conditions after switchover between devices/modes.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 15, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #870 of 2,267
Anyone using this with an after market linear power supply?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back