ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Oct 25, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #871 of 2,267
Hi,

I just received a pair of ie800S that have 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced connectors. Could someone recommend me an adaptor preferably one solid piece, that i could use to change my 2.5mm balanced to 3.5 balanced to connect to the iCan. I can use the single ended for now, but if i have a balanced output i may as well use it. I am in the UK so somewhere here would be best for me. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #872 of 2,267
Hi,

I just received a pair of ie800S that have 2.5mm and 4.4mm balanced connectors. Could someone recommend me an adaptor preferably one solid piece, that i could use to change my 2.5mm balanced to 3.5 balanced to connect to the iCan. I can use the single ended for now, but if i have a balanced output i may as well use it. I am in the UK so somewhere here would be best for me. Thanks.
You mean like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphone-...8-3&keywords=2.5mm+TRRS+to+3.5mm+TRRS+adapter
I just searched for "2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRRS adapter". Happy hunting.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #873 of 2,267
I wish it was that easy. The exact "dodgy ones i bought" from the ie800s thread, came in a little see through zip bag. Only sound from one ear bud. Not sure if it is designed to make the 2.5 trrs into 3.5 trs. But don't want to test it in the single ended in case i damage something.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #874 of 2,267
I wish it was that easy. The exact "dodgy ones i bought" from the ie800s thread, came in a little see through zip bag. Only sound from one ear bud. Not sure if it is designed to make the 2.5 trrs into 3.5 trs. But don't want to test it in the single ended in case i damage something.

That's right. There is general 2.5mm TRRS and there is AK Balanced. Unless an adapter specifically states AK pin out, I doubt it will work. If you don't find anything in UK, Plussound has a compact adapter that is one piece. I can't imagine shipping will be much to UK given the small size and weight.

Oct 25, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #875 of 2,267
That's right. There is general 2.5mm TRRS and there is AK Balanced. Unless an adapter specifically states AK pin out, I doubt it will work. If you don't find anything in UK, Plussound has a compact adapter that is one piece. I can't imagine shipping will be much to UK given the small size and weight.

Brilliant, thank you! Now it makes more sense and i know what to look for with confidence.

Oct 25, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #876 of 2,267
Brilliant, thank you! Now it makes more sense and i know what to look for with confidence.

Glad the help. TRRS was originally designed for headsets so the extra signal was for the microphone. AK completely rewired to R-R+L+L- (tip to base) and quite frankly, that makes no logical sense. 3.5mm is much more logical and safe at L+R+L-R- because that is essentially the same as 3.5mm TRS except the L-R- are combined into one GND. In fact, 3.5mm TRRS connectors works in SE mode in some TRS sockets and there is no way you can blow up your amp with this design. Not the case with AK pinout so need to be absolutely sure you have the right adapter.

Oct 31, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #878 of 2,267
Oct 31, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #879 of 2,267
Oct 31, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #880 of 2,267
Oct 31, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #881 of 2,267
I have been using a 12VDC linear power supply purchased from China for a short while, and I remember it made a subtle improvement in overall background, but since I was making extensive mods in my SU-1 closely after, I can't say for sure how much improvement that really was. Perhaps at some point later I will put the original power supply back to compare.

Nov 1, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #882 of 2,267
I recently rearranged my power and signal connections for my desktop system. I tried to keep power and signals far from each other and minimize cable length. For iCan Pro, it created a pretty long run from the power brick to the amp and I couldn't avoid it crossing other cables. I decided to add a DC iPurifier to the power input on the amp. The intent was to clean up any noise picked up form power brick to the amp. I think it does improve the noise floor and clarity. It's subtle though and hard for me to imagine that using a very expensive linear power supply is going to be materially better.

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #884 of 2,267
I never really found the use for the tube++ mode until using the T90 with the amp. That mode actually took a good chunk of harshness out of the can; actually it makes a very enjoyable listening, very lively and euphonic!

I also use the tube ++ mode with certain harsh recordings and am currently listening to Beethoven violin sonatas in this mode as I type. It takes the strident edge of the Stradivarius while preserving incisiveness and musicality. Not optimal for all recordings, but nice to have the option.

Nov 14, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #885 of 2,267
I also use the tube ++ mode with certain harsh recordings and am currently listening to Beethoven violin sonatas in this mode as I type. It takes the strident edge of the Stradivarius while preserving incisiveness and musicality. Not optimal for all recordings, but nice to have the option.
Let me guess, Kremer/Argerich version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back