ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
May 15, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #736 of 2,267
Intriguing for sure. But mid pack doesn't say a lot though. So like you I too hope to see specific comparisons, esp with the higher tier amps.

The next paragraph of the review gives more information on the comparison: "While I do think the Pass and Violectric are somewhat better amplifiers, the delta is not all that large. I slightly prefer the iFi over the Auralic Taurus and even the Simaudio 430HA much of the time, just for straight forward listening. That's not bad company to be in. When you consider the price and the plethora of extra features offered on the iCan, it starts looking like the value buy of the bunch—assuming that term applies in the context of expensive amplifiers.
Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/conten...eadphone-amplifier-page-2#q7RftBLZe1TcBYbm.99"

May 15, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #737 of 2,267
The next paragraph of the review gives more information on the comparison: "While I do think the Pass and Violectric are somewhat better amplifiers, the delta is not all that large. I slightly prefer the iFi over the Auralic Taurus and even the Simaudio 430HA much of the time, just for straight forward listening. That's not bad company to be in. When you consider the price and the plethora of extra features offered on the iCan, it starts looking like the value buy of the bunch—assuming that term applies in the context of expensive amplifiers.
Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/conten...eadphone-amplifier-page-2#q7RftBLZe1TcBYbm.99"

Thanks. This gives us a much better picture. I guess when assessing this amp it's impossible not to factor in the value of having so much versatility built into one package. The Pass Lab, for instance, is to me irresistible but it just doesn't put as many options at my fickle fingertips.

May 15, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #738 of 2,267
Yeah, 'somewhere between the the Taurus much of the time' and the SQ of the Violectric covers quite a bit of ground to me, and left me wanting more, including:

1) Do others who have had the ability to heard the iCan Pro and other competitors in these price range(s) concur?

2) Any particulars?
- Is the treble extension (which some have alluded to) comparable to (or better than?) competing amp(s) (that is, in comparable price range(s), and available)?
- How does the Soundstage - esp depth, compare within these price range(s)?
- How does single ended vs balanced performance compare?
- ...?

For those who have heard the Ican Pro and one or more of the current competing amps in the under $2K range, or the next tier up (up to ~$4K), a bit more info and esp. comparative impressions and/or rating would be really helpful, and much appreciated.

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #739 of 2,267
hi i was wondering if using the chord mojo as dac with ifi ican pro is a good choice, i know that mojo has a narrow sound stage i do not know if the narrow sound stage gets translated as well when connected to ifi ican pro or will ifi ican pro solve mojo's narrow sound stage

May 16, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #740 of 2,267
hi i was wondering if using the chord mojo as dac with ifi ican pro is a good choice, i know that mojo has a narrow sound stage i do not know if the narrow sound stage gets translated as well when connected to ifi ican pro or will ifi ican pro solve mojo's narrow sound stage

It's one of the reasons I bought mine:

"The 3D Holographic for Headphones is not based on a standard cross-feed system, as found in some High-End headphone amplifiers. Many so called ‘3D systems’ are usually DSP based that artificially effect the sound and add unwanted reverb in order to simulate a ‘spacious‘ type of sound.

It’s true that traditional cross-feed tends to produce an ‘out of head’ sound, but with much diminished spatial components and a narrower soundstage, sometimes almost approaching mono. Most DSP based 3D designs produce an unnatural, echo-like sound, which may initially be impressive, but soon becomes tiring.

By contrast, 3D Holographic for Headphones, provides not only ‘out of head’ placement of the sound sources, but renders the whole sound field in a manner that strongly parallels listening to loudspeakers in a normal room, all achieved without the added reverb. This is the first system in commercial production to achieve this. 30°, 60° & 90° Loudspeaker Angles..."

May 16, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #741 of 2,267

This is the setup I'm using now with my ifi iCan Pro until the ifi Pro iDSD is released. Since the Mojo is being used only as a dac the narrow soundstage can be expanded by ifi's 3D Holographic for Headphones system. So far I'm enjoying the pairing.

May 16, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #742 of 2,267
It's one of the reasons I bought mine:

"The 3D Holographic for Headphones is not based on a standard cross-feed system, as found in some High-End headphone amplifiers. Many so called ‘3D systems’ are usually DSP based that artificially effect the sound and add unwanted reverb in order to simulate a ‘spacious‘ type of sound.

It’s true that traditional cross-feed tends to produce an ‘out of head’ sound, but with much diminished spatial components and a narrower soundstage, sometimes almost approaching mono. Most DSP based 3D designs produce an unnatural, echo-like sound, which may initially be impressive, but soon becomes tiring.

By contrast, 3D Holographic for Headphones, provides not only ‘out of head’ placement of the sound sources, but renders the whole sound field in a manner that strongly parallels listening to loudspeakers in a normal room, all achieved without the added reverb. This is the first system in commercial production to achieve this. 30°, 60° & 90° Loudspeaker Angles..."

now i do not like to use the 3d effect to add sound stage, what i meant its known mojo sound stage is narrow, so i do not know if the dac is the main thing that dictates sound stage or its the amp

May 16, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #743 of 2,267
This is the setup I'm using now with my ifi iCan Pro until the ifi Pro iDSD is released. Since the Mojo is being used only as a dac the narrow soundstage can be expanded by ifi's 3D Holographic for Headphones system. So far I'm enjoying the pairing.

will ifi dsd pro be as powerful as ifi ican pro to be used a stand alone device

May 16, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #744 of 2,267
will ifi dsd pro be as powerful as ifi ican pro to be used a stand alone device

From what I've read about iDSD Pro it will have a dedicated headphone output. So it can be used as a stand alone device. It just won't have the output power of the iCan Pro.

May 16, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #745 of 2,267
From what I've read about iDSD Pro it will have a dedicated headphone output. So it can be used as a stand alone device. It just won't have the output power of the iCan Pro.

hmm i wonder now which is better for me, will have any of the features of ican like bass boost and 3d effect

May 16, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #746 of 2,267
hmm i wonder now which is better for me, will have any of the features of ican like bass boost and 3d effect

It won't have any of those features but you will have the ability to use the iDSD Pro as a SS or tube dac. Also, it will have only an unbalanced 1/4" (6.3 mm) headphone jack.

May 16, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #747 of 2,267
so i guess then mojo and ifi ican pro would be a better option as i like bass boost.

this wil be my first desktop amp and i do not know what to expect from such amp with my lcd2 and oppo pm1 all i owned before is portable amps like alo mk3B, wish i could audition but we do not have shops that have it for audition where i live

May 16, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #748 of 2,267
so i guess then mojo and ifi ican pro would be a better option as i like bass boost.

this wil be my first desktop amp and i do not know what to expect from such amp with my lcd2 and oppo pm1 all i owned before is portable amps like alo mk3B, wish i could audition but we do not have shops that have it for audition where i live

If this is your first desktop system it's a good start. I had the Oppo HA-1 before I upgraded to the ifi iCan Pro. I love the flexibilityof the iCan Pro. The way ifi has implemented there sound enhancements in the iCan Pro, all in the analog domain, can really benefit some headphones.

I have the LCD-3F's and the Mojo can drive them but not nearly as well as the iCan Pro. I think the Mojo work out nicely with your LCD-2's as they are not as power hungry as the LCD-3's from what I've read about them.

Also, I was wrong about the iDSD Pro having only one headphone jack. It will have 3. The other two will be 3.5 inch balanced and unbalanced jacks if that makes a difference for you. Here's some more info on the iDSD Pro from ifi in the iDSD Pro thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/ifi-audio-pro-idsd-discussion-thread.702376/page-102#post-13067755

May 16, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #749 of 2,267

Users who are viewing this thread

Back