ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion
Jun 8, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #766 of 2,267
I use the 3D in a way similar to crossfeed function on my Meier and Grace, to help delay headphone fatigue. So far so good! I also love the bass boost. Most (85%) of the time I don't use it, but on certain songs where an exaggerated low end is fun, it does the trick.

Jun 8, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #767 of 2,267
Still too early (only had it for a couple of days, maybe a total of 4-5 hours of listening) but here are my findings on various modes:

1 - I don't like the 3D function. I think I prefer it turned off. It does expand the voice (as in coming from a wider space), but to the expense of detail and "punch". It also causes (in my opinion) the voice to be not so intimate.

2 - The bass Boost is nice, but only at the minimal setting

3 - Among the three modes (solid state, Tubes, and Tubes+) my preference is for Solid State. Something is lost on Tube and Tube +, although a bit better on the "+". Still have to experiment with it though.

Jun 8, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #768 of 2,267
Still exploring the effect of Pro iCan, but it seems 3D feature is best used for closed can, so to expand the sound stage.
I currently listening to HP with all feature off and 0 gain setting, starting from there to check it one by one, so many
features to mix with.

Jun 8, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #769 of 2,267
Got mine today.

I know that manual says the stock iPower 15v supply is best, but I thought I'd ask anyway: will this benefit from a linear power supply, or after market power cable?
Hi @thyname , Will you be trying a LPS in the near future?

I do have a LPS ordered that I was planning to use it to power my router, but might end up do a quick test with iCan Pro just to see if I can detect improvements as I am curious also.

Kevin

Jun 8, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #770 of 2,267
Hi @thyname , Will you be trying a LPS in the near future?

I do have a LPS ordered that I was planning to use it to power my router, but might end up do a quick test with iCan Pro just to see if I can detect improvements as I am curious also.

Kevin

I have one LPS-1 already (see my sig), and another one on order with the ISO Regen.

I don't see how I can use the LPS-1 to power the Pro iCan. It needs 15 volts, and maximum output of LPS-1 is 7 volts.

I was thinking other linear power supplies that output 15v, such as sBooster and more.

Jun 8, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #771 of 2,267
I have one LPS-1 already (see my sig), and another one on order with the ISO Regen.

I don't see how I can use the LPS-1 to power the Pro iCan. It needs 15 volts, and maximum output of LPS-1 is 7 volts.

I was thinking other linear power supplies that output 15v, such as sBooster and more.
Understood...I was really asking whether you would be getting a suitable Linear Power Supply to power Pro iCan. The one I just ordered will have 12VDC / 5.5A output, which is more than what I need to power my router, but just right for Pro iCan, so I likely will take it for a quick spin when it is delivered.

Jun 8, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #772 of 2,267
Understood...I was really asking whether you would be getting a suitable Linear Power Supply to power Pro iCan. The one I just ordered will have 12VDC / 5.5A output, which is more than what I need to power my router, but just right for Pro iCan, so I likely will take it for a quick spin when it is delivered.

Got it. Let us know what you find out once you try it.

I cannot try it for now, as none of my linear power supplies can power the Pro iCan.

Jun 8, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #774 of 2,267
Still too early (only had it for a couple of days, maybe a total of 4-5 hours of listening) but here are my findings on various modes:

1 - I don't like the 3D function. I think I prefer it turned off. It does expand the voice (as in coming from a wider space), but to the expense of detail and "punch". It also causes (in my opinion) the voice to be not so intimate.

2 - The bass Boost is nice, but only at the minimal setting

3 - Among the three modes (solid state, Tubes, and Tubes+) my preference is for Solid State. Something is lost on Tube and Tube +, although a bit better on the "+". Still have to experiment with it though.

You need to try WE396A to get the max out of the Tubes options. the stock GE tubes are pretty veiled sounding to me, WE396A is more open, with more clarity and dynamics.

fpnfkZADHcYw0_JsaDF0Kvf7cKgVdQ9Aahi5lqYq2VnuB9g5uzOQnrRCgRPtITCcF4W0MLx6bOWvsVBhPywZeV7-BKz1MDlydTt1ecSIUU5nOzjp6xs9TcwJXQNJ_k1864Eg4XX_YhPQDZ85IwLNaW_9Gknx8-9mP71y-EHGOlN21L_k4bd2__AuYDKK5ccigNZtgwq7ABdZh2rPPEdfh1odlNJlg_SMyvia0kKDUrL3oQ5GzRZAKLYDPFSDLhTtXo-wVkuDRCboFLiAKN0K5i8L-_X9fTmRdF46m62uHfT1rP6Cs7BMozE39TK60zMgQkv143viBLglJpiB5XmhUydUElxePzA-WOrgmp-fY0qdLaOUgV4LlILBvlfVponOutHIK98vbwIt54oifRgMwWMelLUyy3gT2C-Qep7FCSbjXFhxprV92OdRySOxFPYvMGD6dY6TPiAWDzmpszVZpYAczPG1rmxyg3QqMw4UI1TZe4H_CRjVegP_p5cOxTgZHupPPlDkpw9dc_4UsRWkW_2uVv-8Mo3HX3fubW2AOEjBRzzQLzV-uproF8tavHPAVVOkhVS94egQdLZz6x_0dmcqYCnhlNAq3-uSizYJQgTZ9_Z6oO7J=w1939-h1454-no

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #776 of 2,267
You need to try WE396A to get the max out of the Tubes options. the stock GE tubes are pretty veiled sounding to me, WE396A is more open, with more clarity and dynamics.

fpnfkZADHcYw0_JsaDF0Kvf7cKgVdQ9Aahi5lqYq2VnuB9g5uzOQnrRCgRPtITCcF4W0MLx6bOWvsVBhPywZeV7-BKz1MDlydTt1ecSIUU5nOzjp6xs9TcwJXQNJ_k1864Eg4XX_YhPQDZ85IwLNaW_9Gknx8-9mP71y-EHGOlN21L_k4bd2__AuYDKK5ccigNZtgwq7ABdZh2rPPEdfh1odlNJlg_SMyvia0kKDUrL3oQ5GzRZAKLYDPFSDLhTtXo-wVkuDRCboFLiAKN0K5i8L-_X9fTmRdF46m62uHfT1rP6Cs7BMozE39TK60zMgQkv143viBLglJpiB5XmhUydUElxePzA-WOrgmp-fY0qdLaOUgV4LlILBvlfVponOutHIK98vbwIt54oifRgMwWMelLUyy3gT2C-Qep7FCSbjXFhxprV92OdRySOxFPYvMGD6dY6TPiAWDzmpszVZpYAczPG1rmxyg3QqMw4UI1TZe4H_CRjVegP_p5cOxTgZHupPPlDkpw9dc_4UsRWkW_2uVv-8Mo3HX3fubW2AOEjBRzzQLzV-uproF8tavHPAVVOkhVS94egQdLZz6x_0dmcqYCnhlNAq3-uSizYJQgTZ9_Z6oO7J=w1939-h1454-no

Nice!

There is no way I can open this and roll tubes...

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #777 of 2,267
Not very difficult, but got to be careful with the riser board. I don't think there are that many tube option, and WE396A is said to be one of the best, so maybe 2-3 options, which is good for the wallet.

Jun 9, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #778 of 2,267
Anyone can suggest a source in Europe with a good price for this model? (You can PM me)
I'm not finding it much below the MSRP and after buying the Black Label at full price, it would be nice to get this a bit lower.

Very happy with the Black Label, truly flexible little thing. The Pro seems *almost* perfect - I have to admit I would prefer if it had a built-in DAC too, would make it a bit handier when you need a quick all-in-one solution.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #779 of 2,267
Very happy with the Black Label, truly flexible little thing. The Pro seems *almost* perfect - I have to admit I would prefer if it had a built-in DAC too, would make it a bit handier when you need a quick all-in-one solution.

We're happy if you're happy. Our mindset regarding iDAC BL was to have a product which would cover as many bases as possible and we're very pleased with the outcome.

Maybe at some point we'll have an integrated from Pro series. As far as Pro series goes, our aim was to have an amp and a dac separately as these from the Pro range are meant to be used in desktop environment.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 9, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #780 of 2,267
iESL now up on iFi's website including manual and extensive tech notes. Hope to have mine next week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back