iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Oct 7, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #5,491 of 5,913
Must read if you use Airplay. Very interesting article posted by John Darko today about Airplay 1 and Airplay 2 and how the Apple Music app will compress 16 and 24 bit streams to a 256k lossy AAC format if your music app is Airplay 2 based (which the Apple Music app is, as well as Tidal for that matter) and your receiving device is Airplay 2 based (which the Zen Stream now in fact IS an Airplay 2 based device with the latest update). Read the article. So, basically if you use Apple Music and stream to the Zen Stream, and you have updated to the latest Zen Stream software update, your CD and High Res streams are being compressed to 256 AAC before hitting your DAC. @Mr BubbaHyde @iFi audio

UPDATE: John released a video explaining as well.

https://darko.audio/2023/10/apple-airplay-isnt-always-lossless-sometimes-its-lossy/

1696698424894.png

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #5,492 of 5,913
I'd love to know what ifi excuse is now for chromecast,the last time they blamed it on Google,startup companys like the wiim didn't have any issues getting chromecast to there customers,ifi is a much bigger company,they burned there bridges with me along time go,I would never ever buy anything from this company again and they really should count them really lucky there customers of the zen stream didn't club together a launch a class action law suit cause they wouldn't have a leg to stand on,rant over

Oct 7, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #5,493 of 5,913
Must read if you use Airplay. Very interesting article posted by John Darko today about Airplay 1 and Airplay 2 and how the Apple Music app will compress 16 and 24 bit streams to a 256k lossy AAC format if your music app is Airplay 2 based (which the Apple Music app is, as well as Tidal for that matter) and your receiving device is Airplay 2 based (which the Zen Stream now in fact IS an Airplay 2 based device with the latest update). Read the article. So, basically if you use Apple Music and stream to the Zen Stream, and you have updated to the latest Zen Stream software update, your CD and High Res streams are being compressed to 256 AAC before hitting your DAC. @Mr BubbaHyde @iFi audio

https://darko.audio/2023/10/apple-airplay-isnt-always-lossless-sometimes-its-lossy/

1696698424894.png
I love my iphone but the way they treat hifi quality, sucks bigtime! And they refuse to support ldac

Oct 8, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #5,494 of 5,913
I love my iphone but the way they treat hifi quality, sucks bigtime! And they refuse to support ldac
Yep. Same. It never fails, somehow Apple always finds a way to piss me off.

Oct 8, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #5,495 of 5,913
Unfortunately, they are now so big they can simply tell you what they are going to do. Like it or lump it.

The Bell system did this many years ago.
It did not work out for them in the long run.

Bell was more vital with no options but Apple is heading that way.

We’ll see…

Oct 9, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #5,497 of 5,913

1696698424894.png
Thanks so much for this.

I am not an Apple Music user myself, I did try it but never in an Airplay setup, only wired from my M1 Mac mini. There wasn't any issue for me in terms of sound using it that way, but I just feel the interface and the way it's laid out is awful. My .02

I find most who use Airplay see it as a convenience system vs. A Audiophile system

Again Thanks, and I will pass this on.

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 9, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #5,498 of 5,913
Thanks so much for this.

I am not an Apple Music user myself, I did try it but never in an Airplay setup, only wired from my M1 Mac mini. There wasn't any issue for me in terms of sound using it that way, but I just feel the interface and the way it's laid out is awful. My .02

I find most who use Airplay see it as a convenience system vs. A Audiophile system

Again Thanks, and I will pass this on.

Cheers!!
Hey there! No problem, just making you aware. I don't use Airplay nor Apple Music myself either. I just find it to be a curiously frustrating thing. You guys upgrade the unit to Airplay 2 as most devices are moving toward and Apple in typical fashion has a way to completely eff it up and pull stupid crap like this. Unbelievable.

Oct 9, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #5,499 of 5,913
I am posting this here and also in the main Zen Stream thread so hopefully most Zen Stream users may catch it. After months/years of following this Chromecast issue, I have what will hopefully be the final word on where this is and a bit of what happened.

First from me personally, I would like to apologize as I know this is an important feature for some. I also want to point out that from day one "Chromecast" was never included with the Zen however the front page of the Zen Stream from iFi's website did say it would be "coming" in a future firmware update.

I have known all along that in reality this issue hung up on Google's willingness to "certify" or whatever you would like to call it new platforms for Chromecast. In other words (not an excuse) we were told that it would be certified and after launch, Google began to drag its feet and stalled the certification for the Zen.

My Opinion (and mine alone as I was not working for ifi at the time) is that we should have come out strong with a statement saying this is on Google and please contact them to certify it for the Zen Stream. But we didn't in hopes that it would happen sooner than later. IMO this was a mistake and IMO only.

So now let's move on to what I have learned over the weekend in terms of the "status" of Chromecast on the Zen Stream, It's not good if you would like to stop reading here.

I am paraphrasing as there is no official iFi statement.

This will not happen for a long while, if at all, as Google won't play ball. They are not certifying any new platform (Rockchip is a new platform for them) at the moment. Anyone who wants Chromecast will have to use existing modules that are already certified. They have said not until the next version of Google Cast has come out, that they will not look into the issue further.

So there it is, I know this is not what anyone looking for Chromecast wants, but in all reality what can we do at this point other than wait?

I have been informed that there is a workaround like TuneBlade that allows Chromecast To use Airplay to stream to the Zen, but I am sure that albeit a workaround again not ideal.

Again, shoot the messenger if you will, but I have always tried to give accurate info both before I worked for iFi, and now that I do. I think you guys deserve the truth and answers, no matter how slow they may be.

Cheers!!

Bubba

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 11, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #5,500 of 5,913
Recently I got my hand on a second hand Sbooster 15V-16.5V BOTW MK1. But I realized that using the streamer it acts strangely. On Spotify connect it fails to connect immediately(maybe after 4-5 tries), after one time connecting it can't do a second connection without restart ..... I think it is the power supply that is the problem. If I try 16V will it be a problem? What do you guys think?
So Sbooster were quite helpful! They have sent me a new 2.1mm connector so now the streamer is working as it should and the sound is even better!Great support from Sbooster!

As for the Chromecast matter....really sad! It has been quite a while now and really no progress, no Volumio v3, the Android app is bad to say the least, not very stable firmware also.

I did get to test Wiim Pro at my place recently and it is working way ....I mean ....way better! Spotify is even seeing the Wiim as a 'connect' device even if I'm not in my home (which is not always the case with Zen). Also there is no problem like with Zen when play/pause/rewind or connecting to the unit, it just happens very fluidly and fast!

I'm feeling very bad as the Zen Stream is a budget audiophile oriented product and it is still not working as well as way cheaper options. That is why Zen Stream will be the last product that I will own from the Zen brand. Come to think about it, I did buy the unit because of their reputation of good software/firmware support. I guess no more ......

Really sorry to say it but I'm really disappointed and that's why this will be the last Zen product from the company!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #5,501 of 5,913
As for the Chromecast matter....really sad! It has been quite a while now and really no progress, no Volumio v3, the Android app is bad to say the least, not very stable firmware also. I did get to test Wiim Pro at my place recently and it is working way ....I mean ....way better! Spotify is even seeing the Wiim as a 'connect' device even if I'm not in my home (which is not always the case with Zen). Also there is no problem like with Zen when play/pause/rewind or connecting to the unit, it just happens very fluidly and fast!

I'm feeling very bad as the Zen Stream is a budget audiophile oriented product and it is still not working as well as way cheaper options. That is why Zen Stream will be the last product that I will own from the Zen brand. Come to think about it, I did buy the unit because of their reputation of good software/firmware support. I guess no more ......

Really sorry to say it but I'm really disappointed and that's why this will be the last Zen product from the company!
Same situation with me. The promise of Chromecast was a deciding factor for my original purchase. After a year & no sign of CC, I went for the Wiim Pro after all the positive reviews. I was shocked that it just worked and set up without a fuss! Not only that, but with an upgraded power supply, it matched the ZS sonically in my system!

I now have a ZS paperweight, as I doubt I will be able to sell it. Its not faulty, but most people will think it is when it fails to set up immediately. I don't think many people will be prepared to do the song & dance I did to make it work..........nor the ongoing ceremony when it decides to remain silent......

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #5,502 of 5,913
But there is more ..... recently I got a DAC that when connected through USB. When changing songs frequently/rewinding, using Spotify connect(Android/iOS) or Tidal connect(Android/iOS), it suddenly starts to play pink noise. Changing songs doesn't always help to start hearing music again. Sometimes I need to restart Zen+DAC to get it working. I'm noticing that this occurs more frequently on Tidal connect. On COAX the issue is gone!
A friend of mine has the same DAC and Zen Stream combo with different USB cables/switch/router/LAN cabling ....the problem is the same. He also exchanged his Zen Stream with another one thinking it is warranty related but with no luck.
So I'm wondering if it is related to the USB protocol/clock(guessing) on the Zen?!? Maybe a firmware bug?!? Really strange issue. Did try really old Auralic streamer and worked great with that DAC.
Can someone help? It is really frustrating!!
Also this does not happen with Wiim and Auralic(very old one) streamers ...... so the problem is that Zen is doing something wrong on connection USB.

Oct 11, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #5,503 of 5,913
Same situation with me. The promise of Chromecast was a deciding factor for my original purchase. After a year & no sign of CC, I went for the Wiim Pro after all the positive reviews. I was shocked that it just worked and set up without a fuss! Not only that, but with an upgraded power supply, it matched the ZS sonically in my system!

I now have a ZS paperweight, as I doubt I will be able to sell it. Its not faulty, but most people will think it is when it fails to set up immediately. I don't think many people will be prepared to do the song & dance I did to make it work..........nor the ongoing ceremony when it decides to remain silent......
I apologize if you have already mentioned this but what is the upgraded power supply you are using with the WiiM?

Oct 11, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #5,504 of 5,913
I apologize if you have already mentioned this but what is the upgraded power supply you are using with the WiiM?
Supercaps Power Supply

"The Super Charger PSU plugs in to your system like any other external power supply. The only thing to keep in mind is they will need to be charged up for at least 20 minutes when you first plug them in. After that, they will remain fully charged as long as they are plugged in."

Not found this charging thing to be an issue. Works right away for me. I spoke to designer about this point and he said might not sound its best until fully charged. Well, maybe, but everything is warming up the first 20 mins for me as I use master switch for all my gear.

Also, there is no on/off switch or LED indicator. They are designed never to be switched off.

Have used these for years. Used 12v for ZS & 5V for Wiim Pro. They can be made to any voltage.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #5,505 of 5,913
Yes ...indeed:

"......... Not only that, but with an upgraded power supply, it matched the ZS sonically in my system......"

Lots of guys on the Wiim forum using Pro streamer with high end DACs.
I'm sorry, I'm looking for which model upgraded power supply you are using? Brand, model, etc. Thanks!

EDIT : I see you edited your post and added a link, thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back