iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Aug 7, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #5,356 of 5,936
I have decided to go with ethernet...but ifi's lan cable that came with the zen stream is very very short.

I am inclined to order a new lan cable and a new psu for my router.

I keep reading about specs on lan cables for sound....what are those specs? Are like 50 euros enough for a decent lan cable with the specs we are talking about?
Any cat 6 or higher will be fine, if you want to shield then get cat6a or higher. But shielded cat 6a is mooorrrreee than fine. Cost you 15 maybe 20 euro max.

Amazon:
https://a.co/d/d2mpm96

Don’t go crazy buying 100 euro network cables. The cat 6, cat6a, 7 , 8 etc… give a sign of what specs the cable should hold and stand for. Cat6a is decent enough. And with Decent I mean perfect.

If you would hear a difference in network cabling, than the cable should be of such a bad quality, they won’t even sell that at ali express. And another thing, if the quality would be that bad, you won’t hear it in sound but in dropouts.

Tcp is a package transport protocol, it hands over the package when everything is received, so if that takes to long (error rate to high) dropouts will occur, and NOOO not sound signature change.

I know some cabling have influence, tcp cabling is not one of them

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #5,357 of 5,936
Any cat 6 or higher will be fine, if you want to shield then get cat6a or higher. But shielded cat 6a is mooorrrreee than fine. Cost you 15 maybe 20 euro max.

Amazon:
https://a.co/d/d2mpm96

Don’t go crazy buying 100 euro network cables. The cat 6, cat6a, 7 , 8 etc… give a sign of what specs the cable should hold and stand for. Cat6a is decent enough.
So cat6 is not shielded and cat6a is shielded? Should I use shielded or non shielded cables for streaming?

Aug 7, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #5,358 of 5,936
So cat6 is not shielded and cat6a is shielded? Should I use shielded or non shielded cables for streaming?
You don’t really need shielded, cat6 is already twisted, but it won’t hurt and doesn’t cost much extra. And the you have 100% shielding.

Cat6a is already 10gb certified, more than enough, I use 10gb for my home servers. but most people don’t have enterprise 10gb switching at home. And 1gb is easy for cat6 or higher transfering

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #5,359 of 5,936
You don’t really need shielded, cat6 is already twisted, but it won’t hurt and doesn’t cost much extra. And the you have 100% shielding.

Cat6a is already 10gb certified, more than enough, I use 10gb for my home servers. but most people don’t have enterprise 10gb switching at home. And 1gb is easy for cat6 or higher transfering
Oh ok..so cat6a it is then....

thanks for the help!

Aug 8, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #5,360 of 5,936
Couldn't find any cat6a cable around 20 euros without waiting 10 to 15 days for delivery.

I picked an Audioquest cat7 (pearl) ethernet cable 1.5m at 39 euros...seemed close to the price point and it is well made too....and of course it was ready for delivery.

So I did notice changes in the sound...mostly cleared the noise problem that I had...meaning blacker background and more relaxed sound.

I don't know if it's cause the psu of the router is now on another power line or because if's supplied ethernet was not up to task...but I can hear a positive change. Not night and day and not sure if it would worth much more than 39 euros.

Also zen stream works like a charm..no dropouts and no lag at all.

Win :beerchug:

Aug 9, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #5,363 of 5,936
A little irrelevant with the zen stream...but because I mentioned about how ifi's provided ethernet cable was not up to task....

I should mention I did get another aq usb (pearl again) cable to connect zen stream to the zen dac signature

and it just didn't do anything at all....

like 40 euros thrown away lol

so guess good job to ifi for the provided cable that is of good quality and/or their usb input on the zen dac.

Aug 10, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #5,366 of 5,936
Aug 11, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #5,367 of 5,936
Although I completely agree with this statement, I would suggest trying one of our LAN iSilencers with the Zen, I found it brought the Zen closer to the performance of the NEO and Optibox combo, and made a great stride in the sound.

Just my two cents, but you could try one from someplace with a good return policy and see if it helps you!

Cheers!!
Thanks for your suggestion about the iSilencer. The first impressions are very positive 👍

Aug 12, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #5,368 of 5,936
Although I completely agree with this statement, I would suggest trying one of our LAN iSilencers with the Zen, I found it brought the Zen closer to the performance of the NEO and Optibox combo, and made a great stride in the sound.

Just my two cents, but you could try one from someplace with a good return policy and see if it helps you!

Cheers!!
The combination of LAN iSilencer and Zen Stream is KILLER. This combo beats any digital front-end (fancy streamers and reclockers) I’ve had in my system :xf_cool:

That is impressive in itself but even more impressive is the fact that, going from memory and notes, I’m hearing things that were uncovered only by two different Antipodes (with MSB DAC’s)! I’m not saying that the iFi combo is as good as those but it’s alarmingly close. Then again I’ve heard streamers costing nearly as much as the Antipodes that aren’t competitive with the iFi combo…

If you’re looking at a streamer costing as much as €10k do yourself a favor and compare it to the iFi’s. You might just end up with a better sounding system and saving €9,5k. Just awesome :L3000:

Aug 12, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #5,369 of 5,936
I read that a version of "Qobuz connect" could be released at the end of the year.. in what form and usable on "rasberry like" streamers, I don't know.. but given the absence of any updates day since the release of Zen Stream, I think it will not be exploitable...

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ture-requests/?do=findComment&comment=1244707
Respectfully disagree. When I raised the issue of Qobuz Connect on the “help us build the new ZS software” I got an immediate response from IFI that they were aware of this upcoming (slowly) software. Also makes great business sense as a result of continuing issues with Tidal, Tidal Connect, MQA, etc, etc.

I personally cannot wait to drop Tidal for many reasons including after a year I am still opening App to the latest rap phenomenon. I have never opened one album. I’m have a large profile.

The ‘business suits” control the suggestions (and algorithms) or are not watching.

Enough!

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #5,370 of 5,936
No one?

I v
First things first...

Start a support ticket here so you can get that train rolling, and they may offer you different solutions as well.

https://support.ifi-audio.com/

Secondly a few tips...

1. I would make sure from within the iFi stream app menu that "hotspot" is disabled after setup if you used that method.

2. You can try my setup procedure listed in the first post of this thread ...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-zen-stream-setup-tips-tricks.961425/

3. Just redo your setup by doing a factory reset from the Zen Stream menu and following this video...

Hope this helps you out!

Cheers!!

Hi thanks!
Well Ive tried those steps but no luck.
I cant reach Ifi.local. Its just saying that the adress is wrong and the app wont open.

Sometimes it shows up in mconnect but then it disapear again.

And also;
I cant turn my unit off. How do I do that?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back