iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
May 5, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #4,111 of 5,863
I currently run a Allo Digione (not signature) with a IFI elite power supply.

I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade, so I'm looking at either a used Aries mini or a Zen Streamer. Has anybody made this change and found it worthwhile?

I just know that the Digione is currenly the weakpoint in my system but I'm struggling with what the right upgrade is for the Allo Digione

System: Power conditioner -> Allo Digione/Ifi elite PSU -> MHDT Orchid -> Belles Aria Integrated -> Harbeth C7ES-3

May 6, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #4,112 of 5,863
I bought my first ZenStream about a month after it’s introduction. Subsequently purchased a 2nd. I’ve always successfully run Roon on both units with no problems. Now that units are officially ROON READY, is there any benefit to reconfigure using the above software update/ YouTube video? Or if it ain’t broke don’t fix it?

Thanks for picking up two, and glad they've been running smoothly for you.

We suggest upgrading to the Roon Ready software, as it's what's officially recommended by Roon.

The operation at heart is the same - the main changes and improvements are made under the hood.

We understand if you decide to stick to the if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality, though!

I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade, so I'm looking at either a used Aries mini or a Zen Streamer. Has anybody made this change and found it worthwhile?

I just know that the Digione is currenly the weakpoint in my system but I'm struggling with what the right upgrade is for the Allo Digione

System: Power conditioner -> Allo Digione/Ifi elite PSU -> MHDT Orchid -> Belles Aria Integrated -> Harbeth C7ES-3

I'm sure folks here have had made that same transition and would be able to chime in.

May 6, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #4,113 of 5,863
I would maybe look at adding a DDC as a next step for your chain. Something like Mutec MC 1.1+ or Mutec MC 3+. Singxer SU6 is also a good value DDC but I'm not sure it takes SPDIF. That will give you more bang for the buck in my experience.

May 9, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #4,114 of 5,863
Few questions, currently running a PI2AES, how does the output of the zenstream compare to it if the PI2AES is running the 5V mod or a very good psu?

Also is the zenstream something I could take with me on the go so long as I have an outlet? Would I have to completely set it up again if I were to use it at the coffeeshop? Has anyone tried this?

Is the zenstream also affected by PSUs the way other streamers are?

Can the zenstream stream youtube and bandcamp as well? If so how?

TY

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #4,116 of 5,863

I had Allo Digione (not signature) with stock power supply for about a month. At first it did detach the audio from my speakers and got the sense of spaciousness. Try installing Moodplayer.

After a while I got for a test Zen Stream with stock chinese power supply and everything got way better.
More musicality, dynamics, depth, details pop effortlessly, at first the low end was excessive but it did settle. Also it plays everything at max quality for no extra cost .... For me it was a noticeable improvement.

May 9, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #4,117 of 5,863
Hi, maybe this already mentioned in the thread, but couldn't find. I use tidal connect with ifi stream. Thinking about where first MQA unfold happens using tidal connect, if data transfer directly to the streamer from tidal servers passing through tidal app (app is using only to control) where it happens normally. Any ideas?

May 9, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #4,118 of 5,863
That is what iFi said on FB 3-4 weeks ago and nothing. I can ask you the same question that I asked the official iFi FB support with no answer ..... How will you look in to it for me without knowing any info(email or serial number of my units) about me?

I asked internally if we have another solution for you :)

May 9, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #4,119 of 5,863
Few questions, currently running a PI2AES, how does the output of the zenstream compare to it if the PI2AES is running the 5V mod or a very good psu?

Also is the zenstream something I could take with me on the go so long as I have an outlet? Would I have to completely set it up again if I were to use it at the coffeeshop? Has anyone tried this?

Is the zenstream also affected by PSUs the way other streamers are?

Can the zenstream stream youtube and bandcamp as well? If so how?

TY
a member over in roon forums recently bought a pi2aes to còmpare to his zen stream,he said it sounded a bit cleaner but I would say it's probably placebo

May 9, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #4,120 of 5,863

In looking at Zen Stream maybe just get the ipurifier output for you DigiOne or go DigiOne Signature.

I would think other than the ipurifier parts embedded into Zen Stream they are very similar units.

May 9, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #4,121 of 5,863
a member over in roon forums recently bought a pi2aes to còmpare to his zen stream,he said it sounded a bit cleaner but I would say it's probably placebo
It’s definitely placebo, or the cognitive bias equivalent. Both RPIs and the ZS function exclusively in the digital realm—they both transport unadulterated digital signals to a DAC to be converted to analog audio. In fact this is the function of all pure streamers—and unless they are very poorly designed or constructed, their sound qualities are all exactly the same.

If any streamer does have flaws that introduce jitter into the digital source prior to the DAC, those flaws would manifest as skips, glitches or drop outs, not in any degradation in overall sound quality—and that fact should be kept in mind with any “premium”, high-priced streamer that makes claims of superior sound quality. If you already have a satisfactory DAC, what you’re paying thousands of dollars for with a NAIM, Cambridge, Cocktail Audio or similar high priced streamer is either a superfluous DAC you don’t need, a fancy hardware GUI, or built-in DSP functions.

In terms of a pure streamer, the ZS achieves the highest sound quality possible, excluding DSD 512 or PCM 768 passthrough capability. And with Roon, its own software GUI and DSP functions obviate any benefits of hardware versions of the same. With the recent upgrade to Roon Ready certification, at $399 @iFi audio knocked it out of the park with this one.

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #4,122 of 5,863
I had Allo Digione (not signature) with stock power supply for about a month. At first it did detach the audio from my speakers and got the sense of spaciousness. Try installing Moodplayer.

After a while I got for a test Zen Stream with stock chinese power supply and everything got way better.
More musicality, dynamics, depth, details pop effortlessly, at first the low end was excessive but it did settle. Also it plays everything at max quality for no extra cost .... For me it was a noticeable improvement.
First, I want to clarify what you’re suggesting—what were the two scenarios you compared where you heard these improvements?

Last edited:
May 10, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #4,123 of 5,863
It’s definitely placebo, or the cognitive bias equivalent. Both RPIs and the ZS function exclusively in the digital realm—they both transport unadulterated digital signals to a DAC to be converted to analog audio. In fact this is the function of all pure streamers—and unless they are very poorly designed or constructed, their sound qualities are all exactly the same.

If any streamer does have flaws that introduce jitter into the digital source prior to the DAC, those flaws would manifest as skips, glitches or drop outs, not in any degradation in overall sound quality—and that fact should be kept in mind with any “premium”, high-priced streamer that makes claims of superior sound quality. If you already have a satisfactory DAC, what you’re paying thousands of dollars for with a NAIM, Cambridge, Cocktail Audio or similar high priced streamer is either a superfluous DAC you don’t need, a fancy hardware GUI, or built-in DSP functions.

In terms of a pure streamer, the ZS achieves the highest possible sound quality possible, excluding DSD 512 or PCM 768 passthrough capability. And with Roon, its own software GUI and DSP functions obviate any benefits of hardware versions of the same. With the recent upgrade to Roon Ready certification, at $399 @iFi audio knocked it out of the park with this one.

Thank you for your continued support bud :)

May 10, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #4,124 of 5,863

In terms of a pure streamer, the ZS achieves the highest possible sound quality possible, excluding DSD 512 or PCM 768 passthrough capability. And with Roon, its own software GUI and DSP functions obviate any benefits of hardware versions of the same. With the recent upgrade to Roon Ready certification, at $399 @iFi audio knocked it out of the park with this one.
In theory you are correct… but in real use all sound different and better as you go up in quality construction 🤣

May 10, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #4,125 of 5,863
In theory you are correct… but in real use all sound different and better as you go up in quality construction 🤣
The comparison was between an RPI and a ZS. They both transport the digital signal equally fine. There is no “sound quality” to ones and zeros—either the transport works or it doesn’t.

This is basic science 101 involved here—not theoretical but factual—and laughing at it is a bit akin to throwing rocks at the sun, with all due respect. All streamers present the exact same data to the DAC. And if there were any problems transporting the digital signal to the DAC, they would manifest as glitches or dropouts, not in changes to sound quality. Any claims that one streamer sounds “better” than another—including invoking analog terms such as “musicality”, “warmth”, “bass slam”, “openness” etc—are false.

Thus all functioning “pure” streamers do indeed “sound” exactly the same. My motive in asserting this is to help save myself and others from parting ways with their hard-earned cash based on predatory marketing claims. What is yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back