iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Dec 29, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #2,942 of 5,934
There are Chromecast streamers out there that feature Chromecast certified hardware out of the box.

Argon Solo and Primare NP5 Mk2 for example.

I won't say it's impossible but if the iFi Zen Stream doesn't have the certified hardware, you are unlikely to ever see it... just ask the guys at Bluesound who have gone through similar.

Better for the manufacturer like @iFi audio to start with the certified hardware for Chromecast.

This supports Airplay2, Spotify Connect, Chromecast, Roon and probably Tidal Connect can be added easily:

https://www.streamunlimited.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Stream810-V3.3.pdf

Maybe the next gen Zen Stream guys

I've not seen one manufacturer yet 'add' Chromecast support, that didn't have the certified hardware to start with...

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #2,943 of 5,934
There are Chromecast streamers out there that feature Chromecast certified hardware out of the box.

I won't say it's impossible but if the iFi Zen Stream doesn't have the certified hardware, you are unlikely to ever see it... just ask the guys at Bluesound who have gone through similar.

Better for the manufacturer like @iFi audio to start with the certified hardware for Chromecast.

This supports Airplay2, Spotify Connect, Chromecast, Roon and probably Tidal Connect can be added easily:

I've not seen one manufacturer yet 'add' Chromecast support, that didn't have the certified hardware to start with...
Very sad.

Dec 29, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #2,944 of 5,934
Help! I am trying to connect my ZS with my Ares II DAC though USB cable. I cannot select USB output in Ifi app. I only have SPDIF. Anyone can help?
same problem

usb output is connected to the dac, it only shows spdif as an option

tried 5 different usb cables, from cheap to mid level to high end

i've tried various dacs as well

tried factory reset / update / restarting with dac on and dac off and dac on standby and dac on it's sides

please let me know if this is being worked on, i'll understand if it isnt and move on

so i'd like to know either way

thanks

Dec 29, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #2,945 of 5,934
Have you updated the DAC firmware? It might help. It did indeed help with my Venus II.

https://www.denafrips.com/firmware-update-usb

Also, try using another USB cable.
Actually, I wanted to update the firmware, but before doing that I has to connect my Ares to my laptop and install the driver. After installing the driver, Windows does not recognize Ares. I tried in MacOs and had the same problem

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #2,946 of 5,934
same problem

tried factory reset / update / restarting with dac on and dac off and dac on standby and dac on it's sides

please let me know if this is being worked on, i'll understand if it isnt and move on

thanks
I had 2 ZS so far and had this problem with both of them: no USB output

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #2,947 of 5,934
@googlephone

also in such case shouldn't we get full refund, very sad my 1st priority was Chromecast buying ZS.

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #2,949 of 5,934
same problem

thanks
Did you have the correct connection? The ZS usb output is the bottom connector not the top one

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #2,951 of 5,934
@googlephone

also in such case shouldn't we get full refund, very sad my 1st priority was Chromecast buying ZS.
Same here, when I saw it was advertised chromecast on future updates, I purchase it because it was the features that all casting can be made without going to their own specific connect. To me, a must to have features which is the reason for purchase.

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #2,952 of 5,934
@googlephone

No, the lesson is to never buy on a planned feature via firmware update.

I've learnt this the hard way with various products.

Buy based on what features it has working today, not planned for tomorrow.

Planned does not mean guaranteed.

I imagine iFi have learnt a lesson here too.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #2,953 of 5,934
No, the lesson is to never buy on a planned feature via firmware update.

I've learnt this the hard way with various products.

Buy based on what features it has working today, not planned for tomorrow.

I imagine iFi have learnt a lesson here too.
Very sad man, another sad thing is if not chromecast and so many months ifi is unable to provide support for any other app than spotify and tidal.

What is the use of good hardware and sound quality if it just can't stream. Its like buying PS5 to play super mario. Lol

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #2,954 of 5,934
Very sad man, another sad thing is if not chromecast and so many months ifi is unable to provide support for any other app than spotify and tidal.

What is the use of good hardware and sound quality if it just can't stream. Its like buying PS5 to play super mario. Lol

It's working fine for many people.

And likely the next gen will be much much better.

This is their first serious streamer (the streaming in Pro iDSD doesn't count - that's a joke).

I'll wait for their next streamer. There's other Chromecast streamers I mentioned earlier.

Dec 29, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #2,955 of 5,934
It's working fine for many people.

And likely the next gen will be much much better.

This is their first serious streamer (the streaming in Pro iDSD doesn't count - that's a joke).

I'll wait for their next streamer. There's other Chromecast streamers I mentioned earlier.
Yeah but with current software support i doubt there will be any good resell value for it. Frustrated with spotify problem and seriously considering selling it. Will buy primare np5 mk2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back