iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Aug 4, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #796 of 5,934
hello
my Zen Stream was sounding great, but quite suddenly. the IFI icon disappeared on my Tidal app. but the white and green lights remain on. so the unit did not power down. it has done this a couple times when using both the Soptify, Mcoonect, and Tidal app. on my computer and iPhone. sounds great when it works. my retailer is sending me a new 12v PSU after conferring with IFI. it was originally shipped with a 9v supply. anyone else with this issue? thanks.
I had 2 , both worked 30 minutes then had issues, not sure why they weren't recalled.

Aug 4, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #797 of 5,934
All i can say is, with 15v PSU, i have no isusses, and all works flawless.
When i use Audrivana for Streaming, with Raspberry Pi and Moode, for Example, after an hour or two the connection disconnect, the same, then i use Raspberry Pi with Volumio.

With ifi Stream, in can listen to my music with Audirvana, all day long, no crashes nor disconnect or any other problems.

I recommend everyone who has problems to have a 15v PSU sent by ifi first.

Aug 4, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #798 of 5,934
Hi Sebastien,

I now have a problem with maintaining a stable network connection. I’m mainly streaming with Tidal Connect but have the dial set to ‘catch all’ as I sometimes stream from my PC and use airplay.

When starting to stream, the left LED indicator is white and the right one green. Then the left LED turns red for a few seconds and the stream is interrupted. This has happened every few minutes in the last hour, making listening to music impossible.

It is possibly my network, but none of the six other connected devices is experiencing these connection interruptions. I’m using the same port and Ethernet cable used to connect my previous streamer and an interruption of this nature has (maybe) happened five times in the two years I’ve used it.
So today I streamed Tidal for three hours straight with no network break or any other issue at all.

Aug 4, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #799 of 5,934
I had 2 , both worked 30 minutes then had issues, not sure why they weren't recalled.
did you send both back? do you think three's a charm? life is too short for this, i am sure IFI is listening. but they should have spent a little more time before releasing these. not ready for prime time and definitely not ready for serious reviews by the majors. but when they work they sound great. would hate to have to return it.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #800 of 5,934
did you send both back? do you think three's a charm? life is too short for this, i am sure IFI is listening. but they should have spent a little more time before releasing these. not ready for prime time and definitely not ready for serious reviews by the majors. but when they work they sound great. would hate to have to return it.
I sent the first back, the second they said they would send me a 15v power supply to try. Needless to say this is very frustrating since everyone is saying it sounds great ,and I have yet been able to have a good listen.

Aug 4, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #801 of 5,934
I sent the first back, the second they said they would send me a 15v power supply to try. Needless to say this is very frustrating since everyone is saying it sounds great ,and I have yet been able to have a good listen.
i will await for the 12v. power supply to arrive and give it another chance. how is the 15v. psu working out? have you opened a support ticket with IFI? their reply? the more feedback they can gather the sooner they can resolve these issues. just hope its a psu. problem or something that can be addressed with a software update.

Aug 4, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #802 of 5,934
i will await for the 12v. power supply to arrive and give it another chance. how is the 15v. psu working out? have you opened a support ticket with IFI? their reply? the more feedback they can gather the sooner they can resolve these issues. just hope its a psu. problem or something that can be addressed with a software update.
Yes, I did open a support ticket, they said yesterday it takes 2 business days to send one out. So it probably won't get here until next week.

Aug 5, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #803 of 5,934
Hi Sebastien,

I now have a problem with maintaining a stable network connection. I’m mainly streaming with Tidal Connect but have the dial set to ‘catch all’ as I sometimes stream from my PC and use airplay.

When starting to stream, the left LED indicator is white and the right one green. Then the left LED turns red for a few seconds and the stream is interrupted. This has happened every few minutes in the last hour, making listening to music impossible.

It is possibly my network, but none of the six other connected devices is experiencing these connection interruptions. I’m using the same port and Ethernet cable used to connect my previous streamer and an interruption of this nature has (maybe) happened five times in the two years I’ve used it.

What PSU are you on, and have you opened a support ticket with us yet?

Have you tried a soft reset of the device?

hello
my Zen Stream was sounding great, but quite suddenly. the IFI icon disappeared on my Tidal app. but the white and green lights remain on. so the unit did not power down. it has done this a couple times when using both the Soptify, Mcoonect, and Tidal app. on my computer and iPhone. sounds great when it works. my retailer is sending me a new 12v PSU after conferring with IFI. it was originally shipped with a 9v supply. anyone else with this issue? thanks.

First time I am hearing of this one - Glad to hear your retailer is taking care of you. Let us know if the 12V PSU solved your issue

So when are we going to be able to cast from Android devices to the Stream?

It will be possible eventually, but I currently don't have a solid date at this time. It's a WIP!

All i can say is, with 15v PSU, i have no isusses, and all works flawless.
When i use Audrivana for Streaming, with Raspberry Pi and Moode, for Example, after an hour or two the connection disconnect, the same, then i use Raspberry Pi with Volumio.

With ifi Stream, in can listen to my music with Audirvana, all day long, no crashes nor disconnect or any other problems.

I recommend everyone who has problems to have a 15v PSU sent by ifi first.

Thank you! Glad the 15v solved everything for you and is running great.

Yes, I did open a support ticket, they said yesterday it takes 2 business days to send one out. So it probably won't get here until next week.

Can you PM me or drop your ticket #? I'll pass you along.

Aug 5, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #804 of 5,934
Aug 6, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #806 of 5,934
What PSU are you on, and have you opened a support ticket with us yet?
It came with the 15v PSU.
I’ve not opened a support ticket yet, will do so as the network interruption has resumed after a two day hiatus. I had music playing in the background today via Tidal connect from iOS and this happened four times during the day.

Is there some way of accessing a log file that indicates why the audio stream was interrupted? I tried “/dev -> create log file” but notepad just shows (what looks like) Chinese characters when I opened the file generated.

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #807 of 5,934
Hi all,

Just finished installing my zen stream. The installation process was a little bit rough as I had a few errors before it succeeded updating itself to the latest software version. This was needed in order for Tidal and Qobuz to recognize the unit. Basically, I spent a couple of hours of trial and error in vain before this update, an information perhaps useful to others.

I have yet to sit down a longer period to ensure the unit is consistent.

Is there any way to ensure the zen stream always goes for wired connection? Wireless mode seems to be turned on at every new sign in, and if I'm not mistaken, I only need the stream as a hotspot since I have a wired connection.

As for sound quality, it is initially a leap forward from my previous USB-wired connection including an iFi nano usb cleaner. Transients are more responsive and resolution and detail increased. A small hint of added harshness (I have a very non-harsh setup with Sonus Faber Electa Amator speakers and Heed electronics) that I believe is due to it being a new device. The network signal is preceded by an English Electric 8switch and I use the iPower X for both.

Best,
Chris

Aug 7, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #808 of 5,934
@jasonmeister,
Have you changed any of the system settings yet, like turning off persistent queue, and going to single playback mode. I was having drops in Spotify after playing for a few hours and a reboot of the ZS fixed it which caused me to think something was "filling up" so I made those changes and have been fine ever since. Since then, I also swapped the stock 3 dB gain antenna for a black Bingfu 8 dB gain one. Probably my imagination but it sounds better now too!

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #809 of 5,934
I just received my 12v power supply, hoping that I would see the connection LED light up , still nothing, I have been sooo frustrated at this product, IFI closed my ticket thinking it was solved. I reopened the ticket and now have to wait until Monday to talk to them.

Aug 7, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #810 of 5,934
I just received my 12v power supply, hoping that I would see the connection LED light up , still nothing, I have been sooo frustrated at this product, IFI closed my ticket thinking it was solved. I reopened the ticket and now have to wait until Monday to talk to them.
not good. life is short, and i just turned 70. i too am waiting for my 12v. PSU to be shipped. no excuses for this. Ifi should know better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back