iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Apr 12, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #3,991 of 5,863
Running 2.31.6 Beta . Spotify connect does not work. This is getting ridiculous...

Can you please let me know what DAC you are using, and more information about the issue you are experiencing?

That will go a long way in helping us figure out why it is not working. Thanks!

Apr 12, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #3,993 of 5,863
Running a Michi P5 (Dual AKM 32's) into Michi S5. Tidal works as advertised. Spotify does not.

Thanks. And is there anything specific you notice about Spotify not working? Or does it simply not want to connect?

Apr 13, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #3,994 of 5,863
@Sebastien Chiu and @iFi audio, I saw that you released another update today (2.31.7 beta) that purports to fix Roon runtime issues. I installed it, and am still noting the following issues:

1. Roon exclusive mode still defaults to S/PDIF only.

2. DSD audio settings in Roon still show 512 as an option, along with an option called “ERROR”.

3. Options for multichannel (5.1 and 7.1) are also persisting since the 2.31.6 beta, which obviously the ZS does not support.

4. Evidence of the bridge in vestigial form still remains in the signal path—when I identify my ZS as my endpoint, the ZS shows up twice in the path—presumably once as a bridge and again as an endpoint. When I leave my Topping DAC unidentified, the path only shows the ZS once—which is the setting I prefer because it seems to be working fine.

Other than these issues, when running in AIO mode everything seems to be working, if I select the correct parameters.

One other thing—every time I update firmwares, the ZS defaults back to S/PDIF and resets several fields in the ZS GUI, such as “favorites”, “Last 100” to disabled.

Thanks for continuing to work on this, I’m confident you’ll get it sorted out! :)

Apr 13, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #3,996 of 5,863
Is it possible to revert back to a specific version (release and beta) if upgrading worsen a problem?
No, because the many folks have reported that the ZS is no longer supporting updates to the Roon Bridge—including on the latest stable release. If you factory reset it reverts back to the launch firmware version, and then when you try to update to the latest, several folks (myself included) have gotten an error when trying to install the latest bridge under the Roon “About” page.

It’s advantageous to install the beta and keep the hardware dial on AIO over staying on the stable release. It works perfectly fine, and if you want to achieve the same outcome as running in Roon Exclusive mode, you can just turn off the source transports you don’t use, such as Spotify, NAA, DLNA, Tidal, etc. Tidal connect is built into Roon so it’s not necessary to run it through the ZS GUI.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #3,997 of 5,863
No, because the many folks have reported that the ZS is no longer supporting updates to the Roon Bridge—including on the latest stable release. If you factory reset it reverts back to the launch firmware version, and then when you try to update to the latest, several folks (myself included) have gotten an error when trying to install the latest bridge under the Roon “About” page.

It’s advantageous to install the beta and keep the hardware dial on AIO over staying on the stable release. It works perfectly fine, and if you want to achieve the same outcome as running in Roon Exclusive mode, you can just turn off the source transports you don’t use, such as Spotify, NAA, DLNA, Tidal, etc. Tidal connect is built into Roon so it’s not necessary to run it through the ZS GUI.
Delete, incorrect info. it turns out I was still in Beta mode.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #3,998 of 5,863
Has anyone else experienced a small speed-up in a song being streamed on Tidal Connect with their ZS? It’s like the song is fast-forwarding for about a half a second and then it’s back to normal. This happens randomly now. It just started happening happening as of about a week ago. I wonder if it’s a WiFi issue, like there isn’t enough buffer and then it catches up. Nothing has changed with my internet or headphone setup recently.

Apr 14, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #3,999 of 5,863
The WiFi connection is so inconsistent and it involves too many variables.
Try these:
1. Restart the ZS, and router
2. Test the internet connection speed
3. Test WiFi signal strenght
4. Try wired connection with the cable from the box. It is short 1000mbit(1gbit) cable!

See if these helped. Be sure you have a proper router to get the most of your WiFi . At least 2x2 streams, 5ghz, QoS(quality of service- you can set priorities ) and get it close to the ZS (5ghz is bad at long range). Also setup QoS to prioritise ZS.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #4,000 of 5,863
@Sebastien Chiu and @iFi audio, I saw that you released another update today (2.31.7 beta) that purports to fix Roon runtime issues. I installed it, and am still noting the following issues:

1. Roon exclusive mode still defaults to S/PDIF only.

2. DSD audio settings in Roon still show 512 as an option, along with an option called “ERROR”.

3. Options for multichannel (5.1 and 7.1) are also persisting since the 2.31.6 beta, which obviously the ZS does not support.

4. Evidence of the bridge in vestigial form still remains in the signal path—when I identify my ZS as my endpoint, the ZS shows up twice in the path—presumably once as a bridge and again as an endpoint. When I leave my Topping DAC unidentified, the path only shows the ZS once—which is the setting I prefer because it seems to be working fine.

Other than these issues, when running in AIO mode everything seems to be working, if I select the correct parameters.

One other thing—every time I update firmwares, the ZS defaults back to S/PDIF and resets several fields in the ZS GUI, such as “favorites”, “Last 100” to disabled.

Thanks for continuing to work on this, I’m confident you’ll get it sorted out! :)

Thanks for your continued feedback - I forwarded these errors along to our development team. and hopefully they'll be able to knock them out sooner than later!

Is it possible to revert back to a specific version (release and beta) if upgrading worsen a problem?

I also asked if this was a future option we could possibly implement.

I think the latest release version has fixed the Roon bridge updating (at least it did for me) I factory reset mine from the beta version and after I updated the Stream to the new public release firmware Roon bridge successfully updated. However the bridge no longer shows up in the about screen to it looks like future bridge updates won't be possible. I'm sure iFi will have things working great once the beta is fixed up and released.

Great to hear the latest update worked for you!

Has anyone else experienced a small speed-up in a song being streamed on Tidal Connect with their ZS? It’s like the song is fast-forwarding for about a half a second and then it’s back to normal. This happens randomly now. It just started happening happening as of about a week ago. I wonder if it’s a WiFi issue, like there isn’t enough buffer and then it catches up. Nothing has changed with my internet or headphone setup recently.

Hi there! This does seem like a Wi-Fi issue - seems like it's caused by a buffer/stutter happening inside the network.

What have you tried to work around it?

I haven't heard of this issue before, it doesn't seem to be common.

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #4,001 of 5,863
I think the latest release version has fixed the Roon bridge updating (at least it did for me) I factory reset mine from the beta version and after I updated the Stream to the new public release firmware Roon bridge successfully updated. However the bridge no longer shows up in the about screen to it looks like future bridge updates won't be possible. I'm sure iFi will have things working great once the beta is fixed up and released.
@Sebastien Chiu
I just want to correct this. I was under the mistaken belief that a factory reset also reset it to non-beta mode. As it turns out I was still in Bets mode after the reset and it upgraded to the latest beta release. My apologies for misleading anyone.

Apr 14, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #4,002 of 5,863
@Sebastien Chiu
I just want to correct this. I was under the mistaken belief that a factory reset also reset it to non-beta mode. As it turns out I was still in Bets mode after the reset and it upgraded to the latest beta release. My apologies for misleading anyone.
You weren’t misleading anyone buddy—I tried resetting to factory settings yesterday, and when I applied the latest non-beta system update (2.30.7) the bridge did indeed come back, and I was able to update it to 918 under the Roon “About” tab. And when I then enabled the beta and upgraded to 2.31.7, the bridge no longer appeared in Roon’s “About” section and the ZS was now detected as Roon Ready under the Audio tab.

I think the ZS Roon bridge is hard-wired into the unit and will always exist in some vestigial form. Before the Roon Ready upgrade, Roon correctly populated the audio settings with the capabilities of the DAC the bridge was attached to—namely the 786 PCM, DSD 512 and 32 bit limits my Topping DAC supports (that’s how a Roon Bridge operates). Since the upgrade, Roon correctly tops out PCM at 384–the maximum that the ZS can handle (there’s still some bugs in the DSD detection settings).

Also since the upgrade, even though the bridge doesn’t show up in the “About” tab, it still shows up in the signal path when a track is playing. As with all Roon Ready devices, the ZS now automatically shows up as such in the audio settings—but it still prompts me to identify the device attached to it, as if it were still functioning as a bridge. And if I do so, the ZS shows up in the signal path twice—once as a bridge, and again as an endpoint.

Everything is working fine, if I select the correct audio settings myself. So the bugs iFi still has to work out affect runtime issues, not performance.

Apr 15, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #4,003 of 5,863
I always have been using a technique where the zen stream connects to my phone's hotspot. Thing is I can't use tidal connect and have to resort to mconnect. With my current chain I do need to use the tidal app to have the zen stream do first unfold.

I tried a technique where my phone and the zen stream connects to a second phone and tidal connect works. After the test, I then have the ZS connect back to my phone's hotspot. This time, I can use tidal connect. I went to tidal connect exclusive mode, and my phone stopped seeing the ZS on tidal connect. I went back to AIO and it doesn't work there either. Hopefully this can be sorted out on the next release where tidal connect can be used when the ZS is connected to a phone's hotspot.

Apr 15, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #4,004 of 5,863
I always have been using a technique where the zen stream connects to my phone's hotspot. Thing is I can't use tidal connect and have to resort to mconnect. With my current chain I do need to use the tidal app to have the zen stream do first unfold.

I tried a technique where my phone and the zen stream connects to a second phone and tidal connect works. After the test, I then have the ZS connect back to my phone's hotspot. This time, I can use tidal connect. I went to tidal connect exclusive mode, and my phone stopped seeing the ZS on tidal connect. I went back to AIO and it doesn't work there either. Hopefully this can be sorted out on the next release where tidal connect can be used when the ZS is connected to a phone's hotspot.
Have you tried using the ZS’s hotspot and connecting your phone’s Wi-Fi to that? Or do you not have Wi-Fi in your home?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back