iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Nov 21, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #2,371 of 5,923
There is a intresting review of the matrix x spidf here -https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-matrix-audio-x-spdif-2-usb-converter.6597/. dosent seem to measure any better than the $90 topping d10
Right, that's why nobody need anything more expensive than D10. Because measurements. The fact that X-SPDIF 2 allows you to use I²S with DACs that work best with that input was not mentioned as the I²S output wasn't measured.

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #2,372 of 5,923
Any update on Chromecast?

There is no mention anymore of this on the product page. The * will be made available in later update * has been removed.
True. Like I said before, I purchased the Zen Stream also based on the promise of Chromecast, so this seems to me an unfair move by IFI. I kindly ask IFI to clarify their position on the matter. Thank you

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #2,373 of 5,923
Adding to the current curious nature of the ZS, when you stream MQA files using Tidal Connect the software unfolds all MQA files to 88.2 or 96kHz.
In some case the MQA files are native 24/48kHz in which case the iFi Stream upsamples the files, this is incorrect behavior and needs to get fixed.
There is currently no option to bypass the software unfolding and let the DAC handle all MQA duties,
MQA does however unfold correctly through the ZS when using the mConnect app, don't ask me if it sounds better, I'll plead the 5th.

I understand it's early days for the Zen Stream, let me know if anyone else can back up these finding.
Hi @iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu

I would like to buy a Zen Stream with my non-MQA DAC.

I will only be using Tidal Connect and only using USB output of Zen Stream.

I've been confused reading through this thread and wanted to know the current status.

Will Tidal Connect be doing the 1st unfold with Zen Stream?
So MQA will be showing as 88.2kHz/96kHz on my non-MQA DAC?

I currently use Volumio on RPi4 with their Tidal Connect feature (paid) and Tidal app only sends 44.1k/48k to my non-MQA. It just keeps MQA signalling - with Volumio Tidal Connect - there is NO MQA 1st unfold...

How does it work with Zen Stream?

Can someone with non-MQA DAC confirm please?

I my case I do want MQA 1st unfold with my non-MQA DAC, when using Tidal Connect.

And when you have a playlist of say 44.1k and 88.2k and 96k sample rate tracks, there is no issue with sample rate switching?

There is stuttering with Volumio OS on RPi4 latest release when sample rates switch.

cc @Bill Allen 2 @dsnyder I also see @Sean H and @simon740 are using Tidal Connect with non-MQA DAC.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #2,374 of 5,923
True. Like I said before, I purchased the Zen Stream also based on the promise of Chromecast, so this seems to me an unfair move by IFI. I kindly ask IFI to clarify their position on the matter. Thank you
I'm only buying when I see the Chromecast actually working, I've been following Chromecast devices since the release of CCA and Ifi would not be the first to make a false claim about adding Chromecast... I hope they will be transparent about this and don't feed us some BS like others have done.

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #2,375 of 5,923
I'm only buying when I see the Chromecast actually working, I've been following Chromecast devices since the release of CCA and Ifi would not be the first to make a false claim about adding Chromecast... I hope they will be transparent about this and don't feed us some BS like others have done.

In October I see iFi posted here that they will first get Roon Ready certification and CHromecast will come after that.

Has Roon Ready come yet? If not, then we have to wait for Chromecast after that.

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #2,376 of 5,923
In October I see iFi posted here that they will first get Roon Ready certification and CHromecast will come after that.

Has Roon Ready come yet? If not, then we have to wait for Chromecast after that.
I respectfully disagree. Here we are talking about the fact that the Chromecast feature has disappeared from online product descriptions. This is about misleading claims

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #2,377 of 5,923
I respectfully disagree. Here we are talking about the fact that the Chromecast feature has disappeared from online product descriptions. This is about misleading claims

Hi , I don't understand what there is to disagree with?

I was just sharing a fact (what iFi wrote). Here is the post October 21st by iFi Audio:

"ZEN Stream is now being tested for Roon Ready Certification and Chromecast will be looked at after this is sorted."

Here is the post:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...evated-to-a-higher-plane.958391/post-16622217

So you simply have to wait to see Roon Ready and then they will start working on Chromecast - that's what they wrote. Just have to be patient?

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #2,378 of 5,923
I am only guessing here, but I recalled a few weeks ago someone had called out to iFi not to advertise Roon Ready and Chromecast coming until they are officially ready or otherwise it would be like false advertising?

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #2,380 of 5,923
OK, this a good opportunity for IFI to clarify, just that

Indeed, just some clarification please. I've been following this thread since conception so I'm aware what has been said but in stead of making assumptions I would like a clear statement. Ifi would not be the first to make claims of adding it after which the Chromecast promise vanishes into thin air.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #2,381 of 5,923
Hi @iFi audio @Sebastien Chiu

I would like to buy a Zen Stream with my non-MQA DAC.

I will only be using Tidal Connect and only using USB output of Zen Stream.

I've been confused reading through this thread and wanted to know the current status.

Will Tidal Connect be doing the 1st unfold with Zen Stream?
So MQA will be showing as 88.2kHz/96kHz on my non-MQA DAC?

I currently use Volumio on RPi4 with their Tidal Connect feature (paid) and Tidal app only sends 44.1k/48k to my non-MQA. It just keeps MQA signalling - with Volumio Tidal Connect - there is NO MQA 1st unfold...

How does it work with Zen Stream?

Can someone with non-MQA DAC confirm please?

I my case I do want MQA 1st unfold with my non-MQA DAC, when using Tidal Connect.

And when you have a playlist of say 44.1k and 88.2k and 96k sample rate tracks, there is no issue with sample rate switching?

There is stuttering with Volumio OS on RPi4 latest release when sample rates switch.

cc @Bill Allen 2 @dsnyder I also see @Sean H and @simon740 are using Tidal Connect with non-MQA DAC.
Hey, I have a non MQA DAC (schiit gungnir multibit)
I can confirm that the Zen Stream is doing the first unfold sending 24bit/96k streams
never had a single issue with Tidal Master files

Nov 22, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #2,382 of 5,923
Hey, I have a non MQA DAC (schiit gungnir multibit)
I can confirm that the Zen Stream is doing the first unfold sending 24bit/96k streams
never had a single issue with Tidal Master files

Thanks for this!

Can I ask how do you know incoming sample rate?

From what I can see looking at the Gungnir user manual, this DAC doesn't show incoming sample rate?

1637577291332.png

Nov 22, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #2,383 of 5,923
Thanks for this!

Can I ask how do you know incoming sample rate?

From what I can see looking at the Gungnir user manual, this DAC doesn't show incoming sample rate?

1637577291332.png
you are right, I don't know the incoming sample rate, but iFi in a previous message stated that the Zen is unfolding and sending to the DAC streams up to 24/96
My question is: whit Tidal connect master files will be unfold by the streamer and sent as 24/96 bit files to my Gumby?
is that correct?
I'm happy to confirm that you can do this, up to 24/96!

Nov 22, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #2,384 of 5,923
That's odd. I just tried it (turning off phone with mConnect playing a Qobuz playlist via DLNA) and it stopped after the currently playing song ended (presumably from the buffer), none of the rest of the Qobuz playlist ever played. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or misunderstood? Not a big deal as I use Roon normally.
I agree, I didn’t wait for the second song last time as Airplay switches off immediately with the phone. So which device does the streaming with MconnectLite, the ZS or the phone?

Nov 22, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #2,385 of 5,923
you are right, I don't know the incoming sample rate, but iFi in a previous message stated that the Zen is unfolding and sending to the DAC streams up to 24/96

Thanks and I don't mean this as an insult but I've seen iFi mention some incorrect info before (not intentional, accidental due to maybe not understanding what was being asked).

Would really prefer someone that has a non-MQA DAC that shows incoming sample rate, to confirm this.

I suspect iFi mostly have MQA DACs lying around their desk.

Zen Stream uses Volumio OS under the hood (modified). And I know that Volumio OS RPi4 USB out only sends out 44.1/48k with MQA signalling preserved. It does not do 1st unfold. I know because my RME DAC shows me incoming sample rate.

Maybe @Sebastien Chiu can show a photo? Showing incoming sample rate with a non-MQA DAC, from Zen Stream + Tidal Connect?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back