iFi audio ZEN DAC - EISA Award Winner 'Best Value DAC 2020-21!
Aug 28, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #663 of 1,162
I'm thinking about trying my HD6XX with a balanced cable together with the Zen Dac, I am not expecting better in quality in sound but if I understand it correct I will get slightly more power which is nice?

Having some issues finding 4.4mm balanced cables for HD6XX/HD650 on Amazon.de and in stores but I assume this one is correct?
"Ablet® Hi-Fi Cable with 4.4mm Symmetrical Plug, Compatible with Sennheiser HD650, HD600, HD580, HD660S, Massdrop HD6XX, HD58X Headphones and Compatible with Sony WM1A, NW-WM1Z, PHA-2A"

I don't like the look of this cable though, plastic white. Any of you in this thread have recommendations for a nice balanced cable available online in Europe for the HD6XX/HD650?

Also I am very interested in your experiences running balanced setup on the Zen Dac. Is there a noticable difference in power and is the sound slightly affected?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #664 of 1,162
My 100ohm Sennheiser Momentum 3 is poor on volume in single ended, so...

What? Are you lacking volume from the Momentum 3 running them passively/turned off using the Zen Dac through single-ended side 6.35mm plug? I have been trying the same setup and I don't feel it is poor on volume at all, this is really strange I would say. You do this with power match button enabled or disabled?

I will soon try Zen Dac with HD6XX as well and hopefully it will work fine. Obviously I will have to push the Zen Dac a bit harder but hopefully this won't bring distortion...

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #666 of 1,162
Hi am considering buying the iFi Zen dac to use with my desktop PC, its a modern windows 10 PC with USB 3.0 ports, do you think I require the iFi Zen dac with the power supply ?

OK found out its good to get the power supply, adds a nice boost to overall sound quality many said better mids, clearer soundstage

Good review here he also test the ipower power supply and discusses the improvements at the 14 minute mark

also amazon customer said of its improvements here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ask/questions/Tx1BQKRZ0ZY7RLC/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza

Aug 31, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #668 of 1,162
@chaotic_angel

Do the DEVA perform well just on the ZEN DAC using single ended ?

Not on the maximum sound but just sound "okay" in my ears. BAL definitely adds power that leads to dynamics.
to add, Zen Can BAL/SE sound clearer and more dynamics that both H.O of Zen DAC.

Sep 1, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #670 of 1,162
OK found out its good to get the power supply, adds a nice boost to overall sound quality many said better mids, clearer soundstage

Good review here he also test the ipower power supply and discusses the improvements at the 14 minute mark

also amazon customer said of its improvements here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ask/questions/Tx1BQKRZ0ZY7RLC/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza

This is an interesting subject because next question would be which power supply being recommended, will any do or it's recommended buying one from iFi? The iPower X power supply is a really expensive one (the price is almost "impressive"), is it worth it or any power supply will do? I heard rumors about quality issues with the cheaper power supply from iFi but perhaps these issues are solved? I don't think it's the iPower X being delivered with the Zen Can (it's probably the cheaper one).

Not to forget: Most newbies probably won't hear a difference between usb powered and running through a power supply, I assume you need a trained ear. I for sure don't hear a difference.

Oh, then getting a set of balanced cables will build on the total price as well but same thing here, question is if it's really need.

Perhaps easier to hear difference if you run headphones which are tougher to drive. I believe the recommended limit is 300ohm for the Zen Dac running single ended? But... if trying to run headphones which are tougher to drive then maybe it's a more wise decision to buy something more powerful from the beginning instead of investing in an expensive power supply and a balanced cable for the Zen Dac.

Tough questions, especially since the extremely popular HD600 and HD650 are 300ohm thus touching the single ended recommended limit. :wink:

Finally, a huge majority of all reviews for Zen Dac being really good/positive with one single big exception. The one from Amir on audiosciencereview and I believe he was running the Zen Dac usb powered using firmware 5.3 (not 5.3c).

My own conclusion: Yes, a power supply is probably a good idea, especially since reading the review from Amir. Perhaps not necessary (if you are not an audiophile) but good if you want to utilize all the capacity from the Zen Dac without risking noise/interference but I highly doubt it's necessary getting a power supply from iFi.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #671 of 1,162
This is an interesting subject because next question would be which power supply being recommended, will any do or it's recommended buying one from iFi? The iPower X power supply is a really expensive one (the price is almost "impressive"), is it worth it or any power supply will do? I heard rumors about quality issues with the cheaper power supply from iFi but perhaps these issues are solved? I don't think it's the iPower X being delivered with the Zen Can (it's probably the cheaper one).

Not to forget: Most newbies probably won't hear a difference between usb powered and running through a power supply, I assume you need a trained ear. I for sure don't hear a difference.

Oh, then getting a set of balanced cables will build on the total price as well but same thing here, question is if it's really need.

Perhaps easier to hear difference if you run headphones which are tougher to drive. I believe the recommended limit is 300ohm for the Zen Dac running single ended? But... if trying to run headphones which are tougher to drive then maybe it's a more wise decision to buy something more powerful from the beginning instead of investing in an expensive power supply and a balanced cable for the Zen Dac.

Tough questions, especially since the extremely popular HD600 and HD650 are 300ohm thus touching the single ended recommended limit. :wink:

Finally, a huge majority of all reviews for Zen Dac being really good/positive with one single big exception. The one from Amir on audiosciencereview and I believe he was running the Zen Dac usb powered using firmware 5.3 (not 5.3c).

My own conclusion: Yes, a power supply is probably a good idea, especially since reading the review from Amir. Perhaps not necessary (if you are not an audiophile) but good if you want to utilize all the capacity from the Zen Dac without risking noise/interference but I highly doubt it's necessary getting a power supply from iFi.

I guess I just wanted the lazy yes or no answer response :wink:

But yes you are right its probably not going to be required or you may not notice any difference in sound quality, I think though there may be that nagging itch.....the one that says would it have made a difference ? If you are getting it, its 40 quid with the zen dac on amazon direct from iFi so you save a tenner from not buying it separately.

I guess one could sell it on eBay or keep it in case you travel or want portable high quality audio listening, appears many are buying the iFi power supply since its cleaner signal helps with other dacs too so should be able to shift it.

Sep 1, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #673 of 1,162
I will soon try Zen Dac with HD6XX as well and hopefully it will work fine. Obviously I will have to push the Zen Dac a bit harder but hopefully this won't bring distortion...

It won't :)

This is an interesting subject because next question would be which power supply being recommended, will any do or it's recommended buying one from iFi?

Any power supply compliant with specs ZEN devices require will do. We recommend ours, but that's not the only one that does the job.

The iPower X power supply is a really expensive one (the price is almost "impressive")

Price is relative :) One can easily spend $1'000 on a linear PSU that will do the same job as our iPower and functionally alike products :)

is it worth it

iPower X is very silent, and silent power is critical as far as audio performance goes.

I heard rumors about quality issues with the cheaper power supply from iFi but perhaps these issues are solved? I don't think it's the iPower X being delivered with the Zen Can (it's probably the cheaper one).

Our iPower has been around for several years now, and all issues there were, we addressed long time ago.

Most newbies probably won't hear a difference between usb powered and running through a power supply, I assume you need a trained ear.

We've been getting feedback here on HF that folks in generap like ZEN DAC powered externally more. But if one doesn't hear any difference, that's all good as well.

Yes, a power supply is probably a good idea, especially since reading the review from Amir.

As I wrote to you via PM, I'd take all audio measurements available online with a pinch of salt :)

I guess I just wanted the lazy yes or no answer response :wink:

But yes you are right its probably not going to be required or you may not notice any difference in sound quality, I think though there may be that nagging itch.....the one that says would it have made a difference ? If you are getting it, its 40 quid with the zen dac on amazon direct from iFi so you save a tenner from not buying it separately.

I guess one could sell it on eBay or keep it in case you travel or want portable high quality audio listening, appears many are buying the iFi power supply since its cleaner signal helps with other dacs too so should be able to shift it.

You could get one iPower separately, and return it if you don't like it. These days returns are very easy, and actually having a try of any audio product at home is the best way to know for sure :)

I've asked this same question in this thread before and was told then that the consensus here is that people tend to prefer USB power.

I'd say it's a mixed bag, we've been getting various feedback, some folks like USB, some enjoy external PSUs.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 1, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #675 of 1,162
Well, I'm just a newbie in this area even though I'm reading and listening a lot right now.

I received my HD6XX today and they sound good together with the Zen Dac. The Zen Dac is able to drive the HD6XX/HD650, perhaps they would sound even better with more power but this is good for me, I'm not an audiophile yet anyway, my ears likes this. :wink: Usually now depending on music I listen between 10:00 - 15:00 a clock with power match button engaged (and I listen too loud, I'm fully aware of that, highest for classical music though).

HD6XX - Zen Dac combo really good for classical music (!), jazz, acoustic, rap, r&b and various soft/clean music, Pink Floyd great as well. Rock, metal, stoner and death metal was good too but definately not as impressive together with the HD6XX as for soft/cleaner music. "Problem" is my closed Sennheiser Momentum 3 BT actually sounding really good for rock, metal, stoner, death metal when running them turned off/passively together with the Zen Dac. I still believe HD6XX is sligthly better for this type of music too though (slightly more details) but a surprisingly tight race for this type of music (or the M3s are surprisingly versatile). The bass button on the Zen Dac is great for some songs but not for all, I try to get used to not utilizing the bass button.

HD6XX may not be the most detailed or punchy headphone out there, perhaps slightly dark voiced (or rounded), the highs are smooth? In the same way it's too harsh/strong calling them "dark", probably depending a lot on the amp/dac too but they don't give me any (or very little) ear fatigue which is really good and are enough comfortable to wear.

Another factor probably affecting my impression could be the fact that I find way more high quality MQA/master tracks and good recordings in Tidal for "soft music" comparing to metal, stoner and death metal which is a bit annoying. Perhaps some metal bands I listen too have a low budget. :wink: (I listen a lot to Stoner rock too with lots of fuzz, small bands.) More famous metal bands seem to have higher quality recordings and these headphones play what they get (good or bad) without filters or dsp (brutally honest). Edit: Pantera 2003 remaster sounding killer with these headphones and the Zen Dac. :wink:

I think I will avoid going crazy right now and try more headphones (or dac/amps), HD600, Grado, Shure, Audeze, Hifiman or it could become expensive in the long run, I will stick with my HD6XX. Finally it's possible to EQ the sound, the parametric eq in Roon is working really good (trying Roon but will probably not purchase even though it's great).

Since we have a balanced input the Zen Dac I'm curious trying a balanced cable though. Problem is that 4.4 mm balanced for Sennheiser are difficult to find in stores but I will go online (will probably order from Forza AudioWorks even though it's a bit expensive). Not expecting magic with balanced cable but perhaps slighty more headroom?

Edit: Hmmmm, classical music flac files lossless (and playing it loud) sounding so good it may actually change my listening habits. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back