iFi audio ZEN DAC - EISA Award Winner 'Best Value DAC 2020-21!
Aug 5, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #576 of 1,162
Tell your engineers to get on it then! Lol.

Naah, the product was supposed to be compact and affordable, and it is. As such, it can't have everything :)

Still for $230 with Tidal Master Support, SE and BAL Line outs and a rather attractive and tidy form factor I'd say it's an excellent combo unit that compared well again'st similarly priced stacks in my office.
Thanks a lot! I'm happy to know that you enjoyed the product :beerchug:

I have already ZEN DAC, but if I take both ZEN BLUE and ZEN CAN how could I join three togheter?

ZEN Blue was designed as a wireless DAC, and ZEN DAC is a regular DAC that doesn't have any inputs other than USB. So to use ZEN Blue as a wireless receiver that sends digital data to ZEN DAC, you'd have to use a SPDIF converter in-between them.

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 5, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #577 of 1,162
ZEN Blue was designed as a wireless DAC, and ZEN DAC is a regular DAC that doesn't have any inputs other than USB. So to use ZEN Blue as a wireless receiver that sends digital data to ZEN DAC, you'd have to use a SPDIF converter in-between them.
So is not possible connect the BLUE to the CAN via RCA, and CAN to DAC via 4.4mm balanced to join both DAC and bluetooth functions for speakers and headphones?

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #579 of 1,162
Just had my Zen DAC delivered along with a set of Audeze LCD-1. Listening to Tidal in both Hi-Fi and Master (MQA) is truly astonishing. I'm a bit of a Noob but if this is a good as audio gets....I'm good!
Agreed the ZEN DAC and LCD-1 pairing is lovely. But I prefer the ZEN paired with my Sundara instead of LCD-1.

The soundstage is super, but lack of mids compared to LCD-1.

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #580 of 1,162
Agreed the ZEN DAC and LCD-1 pairing is lovely. But I prefer the ZEN paired with my Sundara instead of LCD-1.

The soundstage is super, but lack of mids compared to LCD-1.

Please stop it! I've blown my budget on this pairing! (don't tell the wife!!!!)) :). The other five headsets on my desk and Dragonfly Red are going to feel very lonely.

Aug 6, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #583 of 1,162
I've noticed that the use of the 5V adapter seems to mess up the Zen DAC's functionality with my MacBook Pro. When the adapter is plugged into the DAC and I attempt to connect the DAC to my Mac, my Mac won't recognize it. The music plays through the onboard speakers. As soon as I pull the adapter out, the computer recognizes the DAC and the music comes through the DAC. At this point I can plug the adapter back in.

This does not happen when using with my PC.

Are you sure it's caused by the 5v power supply? It might be a loose/faulty USB cable. Because this happens to me too sometimes, only that I'm on PC and am not using an external power supply. Sometimes the computer doesn't recognize that the Zen DAC is plugged into the USB. I have to wiggle and/or attach & detach the USB cable a couple of times to get the PC to recognize the Zen DAC. Still not sure what's going on. Other times it works a treat and gets recognized as soon as it's plugged in the first time. Rarely though.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #585 of 1,162
@Richard Wray @vwong99 haha. I'm jealous. I'm rocking a Beyerdynamics DT1990 Pro with the Zen CAN at the moment and that sounds pretty nice. I've also got a stock of cheap headphones (all less than £60) in a corner that i will never use again. I tried a Corsair gaming headset that I got a couple of months ago with the Zen CAN and it sounded absolutely rubbish.

I would really like to pic up the Sundara or LCD-1. Wished I could take either of them for a test drive though.

Also....will now be looking for an excuse to get a DAC in the next 12 months :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back