iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Apr 22, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #1,532 of 2,505
Is there a TRRS headphone cable with a 3.5mm Male splitting off to two 3.5mm TRRS Males or do I have to use a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter?

I ended buying an adapter from 4.4mm to 3.5mm TRRS. Also a 4.4mm to 4pin XLR for the same cable on my iBasso SR1 to compare and try with the other amp/dac I have, the DX7s.

I share my experience: I actually don't find a great benefit from the s-balanced on the xDSD, but that is not the case from the balanced output on my Topping DX7s (where everything from the sound is better, separation, soundstage, detail on macro-dynamics and micro-dynamics compared to its unbalanced output). I found a distinct "improved" separation on the xDSD when using the TRRS converter, but clarity on the sound is not there, sounds saturated, as if the xDSD had another effect activated such as the 3D or the xbass just to perceive a better separation to the cost of clarity, so it's subtle; actually sound is more precise and clear using a common 3.5 stereo cable, so I simply prefer to use a common 3.5mm stereo plug with the xDSD and the SR1, great combo! But of course, far from a desktop balanced solution. However the unbalanced output on he xDSD rivals and it's comparable to the unbalanced output on my DX7s, it also outperforms the Liquid Spark, so I can say it beats some desktop solutions for unbalanced.

In short, my result is this to what I prefer when using the same headphone from better to worse:
DX7s balanced > xDSD unbalanced or DX7s unbalanced > Liquid Spark (unbalanced) or xDSD s-balanced

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #1,534 of 2,505
I'm trying to find a way to use the OPPO PM-3 with a balanced cable and my xDSD.

OK, now it's clear. You can plug your cable to xDSD directly. xDSD's headphone out handles both SE and balanced jacks.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 26, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #1,535 of 2,505
Hi,

was wondering if anybody else is using the xDSD with the built-in USB Type-C connector vs. the Micro-USB one already along with USB Type-C charging? I already opened a ticket on the iFi support page yesterday. According to their local (German) contact person, this is a 2nd generation xDSD with an USB Type-C connector vs. the 1st generation with Micro-USB for charging. Unfortunately, I have no success in charging the xDSD using different USB Type-C (PD) power supplies, power banks and cables. The only charging which works, is through the DragonTail USB-A to USB-C cable, but that defeats from my point of view the purpose of using a standardized USB Type-C connector. At least I want to minimize the number of cables and power supplies/banks when traveling. I assume that the xDSD 2nd Gen. has implemented USB Type-C, so without PD for power delivery. However, my understanding is that any USB Type-C PD device (power supplies e.g. from Apple or Anker or various power banks) would be backwards compatible with USB Type-C, so providing 5V with either 1.5A or 3A. Yet, when I try to do so, my xDSD doesn't charge at all. I did try already to run down the battery of the unit as it may only charge once it is empty/below a certain threshold, but that didn't work out either. Even when it turned off, it didn't charge via a Type-C (PD) power supply/cable afterwards, but only through the DragonTail USB-A to USB-C cable.

Anybody having success charging a 2nd Gen. xDSD via some standard USB Type-C (PD) power supplies (Apple, Anker, RavPower, ...) along with Type-C cables?

Cheers,
Thorsten

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #1,536 of 2,505
I have a 2nd gen. No issues with using the type C connector for charging with various power supplies and powered USB hubs.

Hi,

was wondering if anybody else is using the xDSD with the built-in USB Type-C connector vs. the Micro-USB one already along with USB Type-C charging? I already opened a ticket on the iFi support page yesterday. According to their local (German) contact person, this is a 2nd generation xDSD with an USB Type-C connector vs. the 1st generation with Micro-USB for charging. Unfortunately, I have no success in charging the xDSD using different USB Type-C (PD) power supplies, power banks and cables. The only charging which works, is through the DragonTail USB-A to USB-C cable, but that defeats from my point of view the purpose of using a standardized USB Type-C connector. At least I want to minimize the number of cables and power supplies/banks when traveling. I assume that the xDSD 2nd Gen. has implemented USB Type-C, so without PD for power delivery. However, my understanding is that any USB Type-C PD device (power supplies e.g. from Apple or Anker or various power banks) would be backwards compatible with USB Type-C, so providing 5V with either 1.5A or 3A. Yet, when I try to do so, my xDSD doesn't charge at all. I did try already to run down the battery of the unit as it may only charge once it is empty/below a certain threshold, but that didn't work out either. Even when it turned off, it didn't charge via a Type-C (PD) power supply/cable afterwards, but only through the DragonTail USB-A to USB-C cable.

Anybody having success charging a 2nd Gen. xDSD via some standard USB Type-C (PD) power supplies (Apple, Anker, RavPower, ...) along with Type-C cables?

Cheers,
Thorsten

Apr 26, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #1,537 of 2,505
Thank you, good to hear that! Their local/German contact also mentioned that it works for him without issues. In the meantime the iFi support team came also back to me and they are looking into it. Happy to hear that it should work (so it should meet my expectation to begin with), so I'll wait with what they come back with.

Thanks for taking your time to provide your feedback, much appreciated,
Thorsten

Apr 26, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #1,538 of 2,505
I have a Satechi PD USB-C charger and can confirm it does not work either. Only traditional USB chargers, hubs and PC USB connections can charge the 2nd gen xDSD. So I too did end up having to find more traditional power sources / USB chargers to charge the xDSD

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #1,539 of 2,505
I wasn’t aware of a new version of the xDSD. This must have happened recently since my unit has the micro USB jack and I just bought it new less than 2 months ago.

Is the only difference the USB-C charging? If so, I wonder why the change was made.

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #1,540 of 2,505
I wasn’t aware of a new version of the xDSD. This must have happened recently since my unit has the micro USB jack and I just bought it new less than 2 months ago.

Is the only difference the USB-C charging? If so, I wonder why the change was made.

I checked the website and it’s still micro usb there. I’d like to know if there actually is a new unit because I got mine through amazon and could send it back for the new one for another week.

Apr 26, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #1,541 of 2,505
I checked the website and it’s still micro usb there. I’d like to know if there actually is a new unit because I got mine through amazon and could send it back for the new one for another week.

Amazon, or the retailer on Amazon that sells the xDSD, probably still has inventory on the micro USB version, so if you decide to send it back, you may not get the USB-C version.

I have no issue with the micro USB jack since my AK240SS uses the same jack for charging. As long as there isn’t any other changes that affect sound quality, I’m content with what I have.

Apr 26, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #1,542 of 2,505

Because USB-C is "The Future", and the vocal minority called for the change to be made. USB-C is A LOT harder to implement in devices due to the nature of the connector, and does add cost to the manufacturing of the device. USB-C is rare on computer cases simply for this reason alone. Check out Gamers Nexus on YouTube to get a more in-depth explanation on the subject.

Apr 26, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #1,543 of 2,505
Because USB-C is "The Future", and the vocal minority called for the change to be made. USB-C is A LOT harder to implement in devices due to the nature of the connector, and does add cost to the manufacturing of the device. USB-C is rare on computer cases simply for this reason alone. Check out Gamers Nexus on YouTube to get a more in-depth explanation on the subject.

I know Woo had some difficulty implementing USB-C on its new portable DAC/Amp, the WA11, which delayed its release many months. If USB-C is more costly, I’m surprised iFi made the change on a $399 device just because of “minority” feedback.

Apr 26, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #1,544 of 2,505

Interesting video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back