iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Mar 10, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #1,427 of 2,506
Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #1,428 of 2,506
That's actually a good idea to pass to our internal staff. Thanks!

It would help hide dings too :wink: even a molded clear tpu slide in tube case with open ends would be sweet. It would keep the sweet shape and the shiney original colour.:)

Edit:

I used some chrome polish to try to take out a ding and it literally took the finish off :frowning2: I kind of thought the finish wasn't just a coating and this stuff is pretty gentle, I've used it in plastic chrome before. I don't for the life of me ifi used this finish - oh well

20190311_074958.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #1,429 of 2,506
While we're on the cosmetic stuff - the silk screen printing on the front plate can be scratched off too easily. Wish those are laser engraved then filled back with paint instead.

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #1,430 of 2,506
Well if anyone wants a nice 2.5 balanced cable cheap I have a brand new fidue for 20 dollars shipped. US only. I ordered 2 - one from penon and one from Ali to see who shipped first, but then when penon shipped Ali wouldn't let me cancel the order :frowning2:

So I have another one coming- sounds awesome and is a really nice cable. It's just not worth paying shipping to hk to return it.

Anyways PM me if interested.

20190311_162639.jpg

Mar 12, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #1,432 of 2,506
Mar 12, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #1,433 of 2,506
I’m getting my xDSD on Thursday, so I’m excited to hear it. I was on the review tour for the xCAN and wrote an enthusiastic review, I have high hopes for the xDSD ...

One question, does anyone know whether the DAC section in the xDSD is balanced as well making the signal path from input to output fully balanced?

Mar 13, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,434 of 2,506
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 15, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #1,436 of 2,506

Thank you for your link, but I don’t believe it addresses my question. I see the DAC is a multi-bit but I don’t see anything mentioned about a balanced design a la the micro DSD Black Label.

On another topic, my unit came installed with v5.3, so I went ahead and updated it to 5.3c with the new GTO filter. How does this filter differ from the Listen filter it replaced?

My xDSD is going through burn-in so I expect changes to its sound, but after 30 hours or so, it sounds really good driving my AKG K702 Annies. The true test will be with my final D8000, and I get the feeling the tonal quality of the xDSD will mate up well.

I’m very happy with this purchase.

Mar 15, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #1,437 of 2,506
Thank you for your link, but I don’t believe it addresses my question. I see the DAC is a multi-bit but I don’t see anything mentioned about a balanced design a la the micro DSD Black Label.

On another topic, my unit came installed with v5.3, so I went ahead and updated it to 5.3c with the new GTO filter. How does this filter differ from the Listen filter it replaced?

My xDSD is going through burn-in so I expect changes to its sound, but after 30 hours or so, it sounds really good driving my AKG K702 Annies. The true test will be with my final D8000, and I get the feeling the tonal quality of the xDSD will mate up well.

I’m very happy with this purchase.

I'd def like to hear what u think of how they are on the K702 Anniversary Edition.

Mar 15, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #1,438 of 2,506
I'd def like to hear what u think of how they are on the K702 Anniversary Edition.

So far, very pristine sounding without too much edginess unless I have the volume up all the way (necessary with older CDs that were mastered 8-10dB lower than those released since the late 80s-early 90s). The XBass adds a nice kick to the Annies without murking up the lower midrange. Haven’t played with the crossfeed circuit yet, nor the filter options. Once I get a couple hundred hours on the xDSD, I’ll report back on any changes to the sound. Right now I’m just taking quick listens to hear how everything sounds.

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #1,439 of 2,506
So far, very pristine sounding without too much edginess unless I have the volume up all the way (necessary with older CDs that were mastered 8-10dB lower than those released since the late 80s-early 90s). The XBass adds a nice kick to the Annies without murking up the lower midrange. Haven’t played with the crossfeed circuit yet, nor the filter options. Once I get a couple hundred hours on the xDSD, I’ll report back on any changes to the sound. Right now I’m just taking quick listens to hear how everything sounds.

Ok cool. Thanks for the review info!

I use 3D+ on mine but keep XBass off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back