iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Oct 31, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #1,007 of 2,506
@iFi audio when will the Mac installer for the latest xDSD firmware be available? Thanks.

I downloaded the older firmware installer and swapped out the newer firmware file inside the installer package for the newer one (renamed as the older one) and that worked perfectly. I'm seriously surprised it is taking so long as would take only a couple of changes in the code for the installer.

PLEASE tell me that if I want to, I STILL have the option to use AAC on my Android phone instead of only aptX!! I believe AAC to be the superior codec of the two, so I'm hoping this is not the case.

I don't know about you, but I listened with a high-quality custom recording which includes percussion, and cymbals are clearly less real via AAC from my iPhone than APTx from my computer or other devices.

Oct 31, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #1,008 of 2,506
I don't know about you, but I listened with a high-quality custom recording which includes percussion, and cymbals are clearly less real via AAC from my iPhone than APTx from my computer or other devices.

I'm just going off what multiple people have said, that AAC is superior in sound quality to aptX.

It would be nice to have a comparison using the same device too. Maybe you could do both codecs on your iPhone or else computer if can't on iPhone?

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #1,009 of 2,506
I'm just going off what multiple people have said, that AAC is superior in sound quality to aptX.

It would be nice to have a comparison using the same device too. Maybe you could do both codecs on your iPhone or else computer if can't on iPhone?

I can't choose codecs except on the the FiiO M9 and Shanling M0 here. The iPhone will default to AAC and the computer APT-X. What I might do is try sending between the DAPs using preset methods and have the M9 output to the Hugo 2. Then I'll be able to hear clearly what is going on.

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #1,010 of 2,506
I downloaded the older firmware installer and swapped out the newer firmware file inside the installer package for the newer one (renamed as the older one) and that worked perfectly. I'm seriously surprised it is taking so long as would take only a couple of changes in the code for the installer.

Thanks for letting me know, but I'd really like @iFi audio to confirm such procedure :) Anyway, I'm really surprised too as the installer should be orthogonal to the firmware code (unless you're very bad at software engineering, which I don't think it's IFI case).

I listened with a high-quality custom recording which includes percussion, and cymbals are clearly less real via AAC from my iPhone than APTx from my computer or other devices.

As I said somewhere else, it's very hard to find actual sources online about AAC vs APTx vs LDAC; until then, I'll regard any report as mere personal experience, and given I'm personally very happy with how APTx is implemented in the xDSD and currently don't feel the need for other formats (as I mainly stream at 44khz/16bit), I'll just stick with it :)

Oct 31, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #1,011 of 2,506
I can't choose codecs except on the the FiiO M9 and Shanling M0 here. The iPhone will default to AAC and the computer APT-X. What I might do is try sending between the DAPs using preset methods and have the M9 output to the Hugo 2. Then I'll be able to hear clearly what is going on.

Hmm ok. Thanks!

Yeah I tried out the M0 a few weeks ago and had the same results.

I wonder if anyone's tried the xDSD with Android. You can go into "Developer Settings" and configure it there. In theory it should force the xDSD to go into AAC not aptX, but I'm not sure. If anyone's tried it on Android please let me know.

Nov 3, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #1,012 of 2,506
Can someone confirm: can the xDSD be used as JUST a headphone amp or not? It appears someone over at Amazon answered that it could NOT be used as just as headphone amp. That would leave me at just getting the xCan.

Nov 3, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #1,013 of 2,506
Can someone confirm: can the xDSD be used as JUST a headphone amp or not? It appears someone over at Amazon answered that it could NOT be used as just as headphone amp. That would leave me at just getting the xCan.

The way I understood it, both devices are amp/DACs. But the xDSD has a higher quality DAC (Burr Brown) and strong amp, and the xCAN has a great amp too (Sabre) though not AS great, but its amp is like twice as strong.

Nov 3, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #1,014 of 2,506
So I decided to bite the bullet and JUST bought the xDSD off Amazon! Can't wait to try it out semi-wireless (no cable from my phone to xDSD) vs. my LG V30 wired (since some on here have claimed the sound quality is still better vs. the Sabre DAC that runs my V30). I will let you all know!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #1,015 of 2,506

It can not. There is no way of getting an analogue signal into the xDSD. Digital via Optical/Coax, USB, or Bluetooth.

Nov 3, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #1,016 of 2,506
Oh, my xDSD finally arrived a couple days ago! It's like being reunited with a lost love. :heart_eyes:

Just in case you folks don't follow the xCAN tread, I present to you the new throne for my xDSD: The Lego iRack 2.0!

IMG_2524.JPGIMG_2528.JPGIMG_2529.JPG

In a couple of weeks my right angle 3.5mm plug should arrive, but for the time being I had to use what I had on hand.

Nov 3, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #1,018 of 2,506
Nov 3, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #1,020 of 2,506
Playing around with the idea of adding an amp to my existing LG v20 or whatever other portable device I get. Technically, it's not needed with a V20 but, y'know,....hobby.

Why not use an OTG cable? Is the LG v20 not compatible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back