iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Apr 28, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #391 of 2,506
Poly definitely wasn't what I'd hoped for. It was very difficult to set up (android user) and when it was working, Tidal could only be played through a 3rd party app, and only via streaming. Any offline content could not be played.
I'm crying out for aptx HD in an amp, purely for wireless commuting and hotel stays, which leaves WiFi and mobile data accessible. Bluetooth connection is so much easier than the setup process required for poly

Yes that makes a lot of sense, from a convenience point of view, even if it doesn't get you the best possible "Audiophile" quality.

I just had a look I'm not sure if there is anything available that will meet your requirements though. I will keep looking. :)

Apr 28, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #392 of 2,506
I'm sorry, but what TF...?! I just ordered this over the q5 and mojo because of this "official" post clearly stating aptX HD support.

Now it turns out that aptX HD is NOT supported?

Please ifi state clearly the level of aptX and Bluetooth version support, both here and in the official specs.

I feel a little bit cheated, I just hope that the sq is at least good enough.

Where did you read xDSD supported aptx HD?

Std Aptx is very good to be honest, I don't think I could tell Aptx and Aptx HD apart in a blind test. But if I knew the connection was Aptx and the other end supported HD I wouldn't be happy either.

Apr 28, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #393 of 2,506
I swear I will let go of this... eventually. But really, just follow my quote. It is from the OFFICIAL ifi post, by the official ifi person.

In fact just Google this (literally): "The xDSD has pulled off the task" and you will find a few hits saying the EXACT same thing as the post I quoted.

Either this is a gross mistake or a false marketing issue. I hope ifi would say something...

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #394 of 2,506
I'm sorry, but what TF...?! I just ordered this over the q5 and mojo because of this "official" post clearly stating aptX HD support.

Now it turns out that aptX HD is NOT supported?

Please ifi state clearly the level of aptX and Bluetooth version support, both here and in the official specs.

I feel a little bit cheated, I just hope that the sq is at least good enough.
This is the reason I got so excited about the xDSD... There are nemerous places online that quote aptx HD as being supported.
Chord did a similar thing with Poly... Before I purchased, I read the user manual online and in there it stated full Tidal integration, meaning the app would see Poly as an output device... That was the reason I pulled the trigger! Official response was 'sorry, we're working on it.. No time frame'

I'm definitely going to try the xDSD... Aptx will be good enough for wireless convenience, until aptx HD or LDAC are integrated into a decent portable headphone amp.

Apr 28, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #395 of 2,506
Where did you read xDSD supported aptx HD?

Std Aptx is very good to be honest, I don't think I could tell Aptx and Aptx HD apart in a blind test. But if I knew the connection was Aptx and the other end supported HD I wouldn't be happy either.

AptX is a 30year old standard HD version is at least at a higher Bitrate, don’t understand why they don’t use aac, it’s better and similarity open. But then Qualcomm marketing machine would be opposed haha.not saying aptX hd is bad at all, just it’s not the ideal either. Ldac seems to be the way to go.

Apr 28, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #396 of 2,506
Besides, I know that there isn't much difference between aptX classic and HD, but for me THIS was a deciding factor:

Q5: more I/o options and true balance out
Mojo: ultra clean output
Xdsd: friggin aptX HD!

Apr 28, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #397 of 2,506
Yes that makes a lot of sense, from a convenience point of view, even if it doesn't get you the best possible "Audiophile" quality.

I just had a look I'm not sure if there is anything available that will meet your requirements though. I will keep looking. :)
Thank you! That's much appreciated. This community is such a valuable resource!

Apr 28, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #399 of 2,506
I really want to have my as my music source, otherwise it would be an option, for sure.
Or a HibyLink compatible music player like Shanling M1-M3 or Cayin N3

Apr 28, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #402 of 2,506
With the phone as the source for streaming Tidal to the M3s? I just tested my M3s as a Bluetooth music receiver it works well, I'm listening to it set-up now as I type this reply and it sounds good but its "only" Aptx too.
Well, for Tidal specifically there is the Hiby R3, which supposedly is going to receive Tidal offline functionality in a firmware update.

Apr 28, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #403 of 2,506
Why are better, just released, and even "flagships" (q5) dac/amps (I mean more powerful and better sq) being sold with lesser wireless support!?:face_palm:

Crazy world I guess... jajaja

Apr 28, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #404 of 2,506
Well, for Tidal specifically there is the Hiby R3, which supposedly is going to receive Tidal offline functionality in a firmware update.

We are completely off topic here, but that looks like a great DAP, I wouldn't buy it on the promise of Tidal offline appearing "one day" though.

Tidal seem to be very protective of their music encryption, understandably and the decision on implementation of offline mode may even be out of their control.

Also I believe Chord are trying to get offline support for Tidal in Poly too, if it happens for the Hiby R3 then I would imagine Chord will also implement it in Poly too. @Rustodian could then simply stick with the Chord Poly/Mojo.

Apr 28, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #405 of 2,506
AptX is a 30year old standard HD version is at least at a higher Bitrate, don’t understand why they don’t use aac, it’s better and similarity open. But then Qualcomm marketing machine would be opposed haha.not saying aptX hd is bad at all, just it’s not the ideal either. Ldac seems to be the way to go.

Actually it uses AAC with Apple devices! You can read on the ifi-Homepage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back