iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Aug 25, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #841 of 2,506
I was ready to pull the trigger on one of these but the bluetooth pairing issue with apple devices is putting me off, I've used my ipad air with multiple bluetooth devices for a long time and there's never been an issue with anything I've used, including headphones.

Aug 25, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #842 of 2,506
Love my unit as well!
You said no BT issues. Have you tried going from BT to wired USB then back to BT on same device? Common issue seems to be having to go into Bluetooth settings on phone or DAP and repair with xdsd. Does yours have this issue? Or in my case even if I play BT then the xdsd off then turn it back on to play BT from same device I still have to go into my iPhone settings and manually connect BT again(it does not have memory of any of my BT devices like laptop iPhone or iPads)

Anyway, Can anyone recommend bands to fit around the xdsd and regular iPhone 7?

Interesting, I haven't had a chance to test this one scenario yet, will try to replicate and return with an answer :)

Also, sorry, I forgot to add a little photo of xDSD with my last post :)

DlewABDXsAM5tub.jpg:large

Aug 25, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #843 of 2,506
I was ready to pull the trigger on one of these but the bluetooth pairing issue with apple devices is putting me off, I've used my ipad air with multiple bluetooth devices for a long time and there's never been an issue with anything I've used, including headphones.

I do not have any Bluetooth pairing issue with my iPhone X. One of the first things l tried was connecting the xDSD to the iPhone to see how the wireless sounded. Since then I have been listening to the xDSD connected through usb to my HiBy R3. When I went back to the BT mode on the xDSD it found and connected to my iPhone in a couple of seconds. Worked just like the instructions said it would.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #844 of 2,506
I do not have any Bluetooth pairing issue with my iPhone X. One of the first things l tried was connecting the xDSD to the iPhone to see how the wireless sounded. Since then I have been listening to the xDSD connected through usb to my HiBy R3. When I went back to the BT mode on the xDSD it found and connected to my iPhone in a couple of seconds. Worked just like the instructions said it would.
I’m jealous! I agree the BT sound is very nice and has good range

Aug 25, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #845 of 2,506
I’m jealous! I agree the BT sound is very nice and has good range

Can’t think of many reasons why you could be having an issue and I’m not. Mine is using the 5.30 firmware it shipped with and the iPhone is iOS 11.4.1. I think I remember reading that it would look for the last device connected in BT mode for a short number of seconds and then revert to the discoverable BT mode. Point of that is that it could be the iPad causing it to pass into the discoverable mode by not connecting fast enough.

Aug 26, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #846 of 2,506
Can’t think of many reasons why you could be having an issue and I’m not. Mine is using the 5.30 firmware it shipped with and the iPhone is iOS 11.4.1. I think I remember reading that it would look for the last device connected in BT mode for a short number of seconds and then revert to the discoverable BT mode. Point of that is that it could be the iPad causing it to pass into the discoverable mode by not connecting fast enough.
This is a common issue I have same iOS and firmware. I already went to forget device on my iPad and laptop.
When I was going through with their technical support they had me try other devices to make sure it wasn’t just my iPhone and nothing worked.

Like I said I am not the only one and it still works but I have to go into BT settings manually and click on the xdsd device to get it to connect

Aug 26, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #847 of 2,506
Agree - known issue, and extremely frustrating. Really the only big flaw the X-DSD has. Hopefully they fix it.

Aug 28, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #849 of 2,506
Howdy.

Big fan of Ifi. My go to combo is the Micro iDSD BL and the Micro USB 3.0. Just bought the xDSD for the plane. I am not sure I am going to keep it. My personal experience is that there is a substantial difference in sound going from the x to the iBL. So much so, that the only advantage for me of using the xDSD is bluetooth connectivity and size. From a sound perspective, I find myself missing the iBL when listening to the x. Basically, the iBL makes me feel like I am listening to MORE than headphones, no matter what headphones I am using. With the x, I feel like I am listening to a pair of excellent headphones, but still, I am listening to headphones. IOW, it sounds really great, but not special.

Note, I have found the iBL so good, that it paired great with my Woo Audio WA5 when I had it, and I am not sure the Pro iDSD would give me an ROI big enough to justify the cost (sorry, Ifi, for making the iBL so good, it may cannibalize sales of your flagship ).

I am bummed, but I am not sure it makes sense to keep the x and the iBL. Thoughts?

Logan

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #850 of 2,506
Note, I have found the iBL so good, that it paired great with my Woo Audio WA5 when I had it, and I am not sure the Pro iDSD would give me an ROI big enough to justify the cost (sorry, Ifi, for making the iBL so good, it may cannibalize sales of your flagship ).

Rest assured that there's nothing like our Pro iDSD. Nothing we delivered thus far comes close. SERIOUSLY.

If you honestly think that our micro iDSD BL is this good, you might literally loose your head with the Pro. The latter is not just a bit better micro iDSD BL or iDAC2 but something totally different, far more complex and simply superior.

TL;DR: Pro iDSD = Sorry about your wallet.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 28, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #851 of 2,506
Howdy.

I am bummed, but I am not sure it makes sense to keep the x and the iBL. Thoughts?

Logan
Are you using Micro iUSB3.0 + Micro iDSD BL combo in the mobile situation? (I hardly believe it though...) I am using nano iUSB3.0 + Micro iDAC2 + pro iCAN chain at home and xDSD alone for mobile (on a plane, train or even at a hotel room). The sound of my home setup is of course superior to xDSD but I am still happy to listen to music through xDSD on the particular situation. It is small, lightweight, and great sound quality. It is a must item when I travel around the globe.

Aug 28, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #852 of 2,506
Are you using Micro iUSB3.0 + Micro iDSD BL combo in the mobile situation? (I hardly believe it though...) I am using nano iUSB3.0 + Micro iDAC2 + pro iCAN chain at home and xDSD alone for mobile (on a plane, train or even at a hotel room). The sound of my home setup is of course superior to xDSD but I am still happy to listen to music through xDSD on the particular situation. It is small, lightweight, and great sound quality. It is a must item when I travel around the globe.
Howdy.

Big fan of Ifi. My go to combo is the Micro iDSD BL and the Micro USB 3.0. Just bought the xDSD for the plane. I am not sure I am going to keep it. My personal experience is that there is a substantial difference in sound going from the x to the iBL. So much so, that the only advantage for me of using the xDSD is bluetooth connectivity and size. From a sound perspective, I find myself missing the iBL when listening to the x. Basically, the iBL makes me feel like I am listening to MORE than headphones, no matter what headphones I am using. With the x, I feel like I am listening to a pair of excellent headphones, but still, I am listening to headphones. IOW, it sounds really great, but not special.

Logan
Don't feel bad. I kept both the Nano BL and the xDSD. I switch off between the two and having great fun. :)

Aug 28, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #853 of 2,506
Rest assured that there's nothing like our Pro iDSD. Nothing we delivered thus far comes close. SERIOUSLY.

If you honestly think that our micro iDSD BL is this good, you might literally loose your head with the Pro. The latter is not just a bit better micro iDSD BL or iDAC2 but something totally different, far more complex and simply superior.

TL;DR: Pro iDSD = Sorry about your wallet.
Lol I love the level of confidence and enthusiasm in this post :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back