iFi audio Pro iDSD Signature and Pro iCAN Signature - The Pro range just got better!
Feb 15, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #721 of 850
Hello All, could you please help me out here. Could you tell me out of the following
1. PRO iDSD Signature - as DAC and AMP both
2. Gustard R26 as DAC + PRO iCAN Signature as AMP
Which one would be better to be used with HE1000V2. The cost of both the option is approx same. Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #722 of 850
Maybe try to get your hands on a used Pro iDSD (non signature,) and pair that with the Pro iCAN Sig. Just a thought.

Feb 15, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #723 of 850
Maybe try to get your hands on a used Pro iDSD (non signature,) and pair that with the Pro iCAN Sig. Just a thought.
The problem is, here the used gear market is almost nil. There is almost zero chance that I'll get a used Pro iDSD here. Import is another issue due to high customs. In summary, I can buy only the brand new products with no return policy. And there is no way to demo them as well before buying. Hence my query if someone can help based on their experience please.

Feb 20, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #726 of 850
Feb 24, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #728 of 850
How hard is it to change the tubes in the ProDSD Signature when the time comes? One reviewer said it was nearly impossible and one would need to return it to iFi. If true, that sounds like a terrible design. I'm hoping that reviewer is a complete idiot! I did find a video that shows how to open up the iCan, which does involve quite a bit of disassembly, but nothing looked "impossible."

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #729 of 850
Hello All, could you please help me out here. Could you tell me out of the following
1. PRO iDSD Signature - as DAC and AMP both
2. Gustard R26 as DAC + PRO iCAN Signature as AMP
Which one would be better to be used with HE1000V2. The cost of both the option is approx same. Thanks a lot.
I would go for the R26 and iCan signature. The iCan Signature is a better amp than the built in one in the iDSD and I think a good R2R DAC will beat the best delta/sigma DAC any day.

Feb 24, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #730 of 850
How hard is it to change the tubes in the ProDSD Signature when the time comes? One reviewer said it was nearly impossible and one would need to return it to iFi. If true, that sounds like a terrible design. I'm hoping that reviewer is a complete idiot! I did find a video that shows how to open up the iCan, which does involve quite a bit of disassembly, but nothing looked "impossible."
First be aware that opening the chassis voids the warranty—and iFi built in an immediate tell in the assembly that will give away if you tried. I will say that I went down my own rabbit hole rolling the GE 5670s in my Pro iCAN Signature with the alleged “end game” tubes with this pin out—the extremely rare and exorbitantly expensive Bendix 6385s—and when I finally tracked down a matched pair I did give them a try.

First and foremost, I build custom vintage Fender Tweed guitar amps as a hobby—and inside both the Pro iDSD and the Pro iCAN Signatures are a set of filter capacitors which carry enough of a constant high voltage charge (including when unplugged) that can put your audiophile journey immediately to rest if you inadvertently touch one of them while grounded (which means almost always). So I would definitely dissuade you from playing around inside any power amp if you don’t know your way around.

As for the end result of my voiding my warranty? I couldn’t hear a single difference. None. I have my very own Hickok $4,000 tube tester and consider myself pretty valve savvy—and the Bendix set I bought were precisely matched and very high gain (meaning barely used if at all) and I can say without a moment’s hesitation that all the mess and expense I went through was a total bust.

The NOS GEs that iFi ships with the Pro Signature series are hand picked and thoroughly tested for matched output and solid performance—and they are absolutely premium enough to offer results that are commensurate with the price point of these components. And given that these aren’t power amp tubes—they’re preamp tubes in both the iDSD and iCAN—swapping them out with different brands and vintages isn’t expected to offer much in the way of differences.

The only thing I learned from this endeavor is that iFi built in some LEDs beneath the tube sockets to make them glow artificially—which is a sleight of hand I wish I had kept a secret. They purposefully sealed these 2c51-style preamp valves inside the chassis for a good reason—swapping preamp tubes just isn’t worth your while, and the ones they provided are curated for you to provide terrific (and warranty-guaranteed) performance. If mine blow now, I’m on my own—I understand the temptation to go there (since I did myself) but I feel a duty to warn folks to take heed. Good luck!

Feb 24, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #731 of 850
As for the end result of my voiding my warranty? I couldn’t hear a single difference. None. I have my very own Hickok $4,000 tube tester and consider myself pretty valve savvy—and the Bendix set I bought were precisely matched and very high gain (meaning barely used if at all) and I can say without a moment’s hesitation that all the mess and expense I went through was a total bust.

If you search for some of my older posts, I once gave some feedback on tubes here on head-fi and the changing process with a picture. In a nutshell, I found a very audible difference with changing the tubes to the much warmer sounding WE396A. The process is easy and was done in 15 min - open a couple of screws, slide out a motherboard, use some care while pulling out a tube from its port (this is by far the most challenging part since space is limited, but completely doable), put new tube in, slide back in and close screws. Done.

Feb 25, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #732 of 850
I found changing the tubes to be fairly easy and made a huge difference with a pair of JAN Tung Sol USA Air Force military black plates. Much warmer and richer without sacrificing detail.

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #733 of 850
If you search for some of my older posts, I once gave some feedback on tubes here on head-fi and the changing process with a picture. In a nutshell, I found a very audible difference with changing the tubes to the much warmer sounding WE396A. The process is easy and was done in 15 min - open a couple of screws, slide out a motherboard, use some care while pulling out a tube from its port (this is by far the most challenging part since space is limited, but completely doable), put new tube in, slide back in and close screws. Done.
It is indeed easy enough to do—I neglected to answer that basic question in my lengthy response (my fault). I tried swapping out the GEs with both the Bendix set and WE396As, but I had a different experience with the end result. Glad yours went better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back