iFi audio Pro iDSD Signature and Pro iCAN Signature - The Pro range just got better!
Jun 28, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #616 of 866
I don´t understand some of your conepts like the tuning of the 800s done with a 40 ohm impedance, the true tuning of them being with good bass and smaller soundstage and that it sounds like a baby LCD4. Is there a forum you can direct me to to better understand these concepts? Lets not focus this one on a specific model of headphones. Thanks.
It's just how the 800 + 800s is designed and to confirm that, even their dac/amp partner, hdvd800 has such an output impedance. But it's not the best performing dac/amp, so it actually sounds a lot better off the pro iDSD line out.

Jun 28, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #617 of 866
It's just how the 800 + 800s is designed and to confirm that, even their dac/amp partner, hdvd800 has such an output impedance. But it's not the best performing dac/amp, so it actually sounds a lot better off the pro iDSD line out.
So you go out through the balanced line outputs of the iDSD to the left and right in puts of th HD800s?

Jun 28, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #618 of 866
So you go out through the balanced line outputs of the iDSD to the left and right in puts of th HD800s?
I was doing balanced on line out hifi var. There was so much power. It would have been better on RCA but that wasn't the terminate done by my friend who was interested in my theory. Best to avoid an adapter to make this happen but you can temporary use one to have a test of how it sound before commiting to custom cables for one of the best ways to listen to the 800s.

Jun 28, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #619 of 866
What would you like to know more regards to this topic? Specific questions would be great here!
I’d like to hear how the ASP that the iCan Pro does is different from the DSP that was referenced earlier. Does ASP = analog signal processing, for one?

Jul 11, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #620 of 866
Hey guys, hoping I can get some opinions / info from current or previous owners of the IFI iDSD pro signature. I am considering buying one with the intention of using it as an all in one unit (dac + amp on the 4.4 output). My headphones are not very demanding power wise.. most demanding one is the v1 Arya and I think the iDSD pro sig should be able to power it without any issues via the 4.4mm Bal output.

I realize this product is designed to be used as a DAC primarily but is it also good as an amp? Is it competitive to something like a Burson Conductor 3XR? I realize the Burson is way more powerful but I don’t need that much power.. on the other hand, I actually love that the IFi provides tube mode options. So how good is this if I use it as an AIO? Is it TOTL worthy even if I don’t use the signature amp that pairs with it?

Also couple questions-

Is there a significant difference between SS and tube mode? Does tube mode actually sound like tubes? (Warm/euphonic)

I assume the remote can control volume? Just want to confirm because this is extremely important to me. I need to be able to do volume adjustments while using it as dac and an amp.

Does the USB input sound good? I know some ppl prefer optical because they claim usb sounds worse. Have you guys noticed any difference?

Thanks for any input you can provide!!

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #621 of 866
Hey guys, hoping I can get some opinions / info from current or previous owners of the IFI iDSD pro signature. I am considering buying one with the intention of using it as an all in one unit (dac + amp on the 4.4 output). My headphones are not very demanding power wise.. most demanding one is the v1 Arya and I think the iDSD pro sig should be able to power it without any issues via the 4.4mm Bal output.

I realize this product is designed to be used as a DAC primarily but is it also good as an amp? Is it competitive to something like a Burson Conductor 3XR? I realize the Burson is way more powerful but I don’t need that much power.. on the other hand, I actually love that the IFi provides tube mode options. So how good is this if I use it as an AIO? Is it TOTL worthy even if I don’t use the signature amp that pairs with it?

Also couple questions-

Is there a significant difference between SS and tube mode? Does tube mode actually sound like tubes? (Warm/euphonic)

I assume the remote can control volume? Just want to confirm because this is extremely important to me. I need to be able to do volume adjustments while using it as dac and an amp.

Does the USB input sound good? I know some ppl prefer optical because they claim usb sounds worse. Have you guys noticed any difference?

I own the non-signature version of the iDSD. I use it as a dedicated DAC feeding my Stax tube energiser (driving SR009) but also as an all-in-one amp/dac to drive my LCD5/LCD2fazor/LCD2ClosedBack. In both uses it is brilliant. The DAC is very neutral and the head amp section has more than enough power to drive all my headphones. I use the 9db gain (middle gain option)

Just last night I decided to use the LCD2ClosedBacks for a listening session. I started off with SS and then later switched to tube mode + (there is a mode in-between as well which is a tube-hybrid-type mode). The tube mode + mellowed out voices, took the edge off leading notes and made magic with the soundstage, increasing width and depth. So to answer your question, yes there is quite a difference between SS and tube performance to my ears. I do prefer SS on the LCD5 though as it is a very technical and detailed headphone and I prefer the sound fast and neutral.

I recently had the opportunity to demo the Chord Dave, Holo Spring, Holo May and the eye-watering expensive Nagra Tube DAC. I walked away even more impressed with the iDSD considering cost to performance. Its small footprint takes up little space and you can tweak the sound using the various filters and tube modes to your liking. It also has MQA decoding if you buy into that hype.

Jul 12, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #622 of 866
I own the non-signature version of the iDSD. I use it as a dedicated DAC feeding my Stax tube energiser (driving SR009) but also as an all-in-one amp/dac to drive my LCD5/LCD2fazor/LCD2ClosedBack. In both uses it is brilliant. The DAC is very neutral and the head amp section has more than enough power to drive all my headphones. I use the 9db gain (middle gain option)

Just last night I decided to use the LCD2ClosedBacks for a listening session. I started off with SS and then later switched to tube mode + (there is a mode in-between as well which is a tube-hybrid-type mode). The tube mode + mellowed out voices, took the edge off leading notes and made magic with the soundstage, increasing width and depth. So to answer your question, yes there is quite a difference between SS and tube performance to my ears. I do prefer SS on the LCD5 though as it is a very technical and detailed headphone and I prefer the sound fast and neutral.

I recently had the opportunity to demo the Chord Dave, Holo Spring, Holo May and the eye-watering expensive Nagra Tube DAC. I walked away even more impressed with the iDSD considering cost to performance. Its small footprint takes up little space and you can tweak the sound using the various filters and tube modes to your liking. It also has MQA decoding if you buy into that hype.
Very interesting comparison. Were you able to demo those 5 DACs side by side with the same amp and headphones? Can you please tell more about it? Thanks

Jul 12, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #623 of 866
Very interesting comparison. Were you able to demo those 5 DACs side by side with the same amp and headphones? Can you please tell more about it? Thanks
Pretty much, yes.
Stand out for me was the Holo May. I would buy this in a heart beat. Plenty of detail and snap with none of the digital glare. Holo Spring was maybe 15% less performance and compared to the iDSD sound quality wise. The Nagra was everything that you would expect from an uber expensive tube DAC, warm, full and bloomy. Not really an accurate reflection of reality. Some folks will love it, not my preferred sound signature though. It is over engineered to the teeth like only the Swiss can. The Chord Dave included the Mscaler. Sounded good but did not justify the cost over the Holo May.

YMMV

Jul 12, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #624 of 866
Pretty much, yes.
Stand out for me was the Holo May. I would buy this in a heart beat. Plenty of detail and snap with none of the digital glare. Holo Spring was maybe 15% less performance and compared to the iDSD sound quality wise. The Nagra was everything that you would expect from an uber expensive tube DAC, warm, full and bloomy. Not really an accurate reflection of reality. Some folks will love it, not my preferred sound signature though. It is over engineered to the teeth like only the Swiss can. The Chord Dave included the Mscaler. Sounded good but did not justify the cost over the Holo May.

YMMV
That was with the non-signature Pro iDSD, right?

Jul 13, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #625 of 866
Pretty much, yes.

YMMV
so Holo Spring and IDSD are at the same level?
thanks!

Jul 13, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #627 of 866

Also couple questions-

My personal impressions on our Pro Series:

1) There is a difference between SS and tube modes. It gets more prevalent as you move from tube to tube plus.

I'd describe them as the following:

SS: iFi neutral (which is still quite warm and dynamic)

Tube: slight warmth/euphonics added.

Tube+: The most tubey sound you can get out of the Prop iDSD

2) You will have more than enough power driving the Arya V1 off the 4.4mm balanced using it as an AIO. If you want the multiple modes, the choices are pretty clear.

3) I use the Pro iDSD Sig off USB and notice no major difference between the modes. That said, I have the Pro iDSD in a "set it and forget about it" place in my set-up.

I use it like this: Roon from my PC > Pro iDSD Sig > Burson Funk > Revel F206B/My ZMFs.

Great comparisons, thanks for the write-up and the love!

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #628 of 866
ifi pro ican signature is not just an headphone amp, it is becoming a smart heart of my audio system, main preamp for my amp and speaker and as a headphone amp.
3024-3024-max.jpg

Jul 20, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #629 of 866
ifi pro ican signature is not just an headphone amp, it is becoming a smart heart of my audio system, main preamp for my amp and speaker and as a headphone amp. 3024-3024-max.jpg

Thanks, lovely set-up! What speakers are those?

Jul 20, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #630 of 866
Which apps are available to use the streamer? Which services are available? I´m specially interested in Qobuz and Tidal. Is the user interface Ok?

Is there a way to stream YouTube videos´ audio through wifi? Or only via a USB cable?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back