iFi audio Pro iDSD (Official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.
Mar 8, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #1,096 of 2,185
Airplay and UPnP are already supported, aren't they? Based on the number of people requesting Roon here it might make sense to add that. I have no experience with Chromecast but i guess supporting that would give direct access from a large number of devices.

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #1,097 of 2,185
Agreed, network options are huge money sinks if you want to do them from scratch and Pro iDSD is a DAC above all else and a very complex one. This has always been the key function of this device.
Hmm ... i selected the Pro iDSD as DAC BECAUSE it inlcudes both a first class DAC AND a streamer. I did not expect support for Roon, since this was not in the specifications. However, i do expect that i can play up to 192/24 files via UPnP or Muzo reliably over the network (or from SD card or directly connected USB drive). And even with the 2.01 firmware that does not work reliably. If that is just an afterthought then it should not have been included in the first place so that customers can plan a network bridge like SOTM or Sonore from the start.

I am not at the point to add an external bridge since streaming of up to 96/24 works reliably and i cannot hear any improvement from 96/24 to 192/24. Still ... i think iFi should fix the buffering for App input (or whatever causes the intermittent stuttering).

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #1,098 of 2,185
it is my understanding that one of the advantages of MQA is that high res audio can be streamed with lower bandwidth requirements. Why is it then that DAC's with streaming capability lie Pro iDSD do not support MQA over network interface?

Mar 9, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #1,099 of 2,185
Airplay and UPnP are already supported, aren't they? Based on the number of people requesting Roon here it might make sense to add that. I have no experience with Chromecast but i guess supporting that would give direct access from a large number of devices.

Yes of course we know Airplay and UPnP are supported, but I specifically mentioned all 4 would give people almost unlimited options for apps...

If you see iFi's comment that I quoted, giving all these options would allow iFi to focus on the hardware design, and the leave apps/software/UI to the app experts...

Anyway as I already mentioned, something to consider for future products...

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #1,100 of 2,185
Yes of course we know Airplay and UPnP are supported, but I specifically mentioned all 4 would give people almost unlimited options for apps...

If you see iFi's comment that I quoted, giving all these options would allow iFi to focus on the hardware design, and the leave apps/software/UI to the app experts...

Anyway as I already mentioned, something to consider for future products...
I see what you mean. And i agree - it makes sense for iFi to support end points from 3rd parties to offer more choices. After playing a bit with Roon i can see why people would prefer it over Muzo. The UI is very appealing. I would probably pay the fee for Roon core (especially since it looks like i can run the Roon core simply on my QNAP NAS) but i do not want to purchase a network bridge to stream to the Pro iDSD.

Mar 9, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #1,101 of 2,185
After playing a bit with Roon i can see why people would prefer it over Muzo.

After you’ve used Roon (or even the official Tidal/Qobuz/Deezer/Spotify apps which are free if you’re paying for the service and have fantastic UI these days) using the Muzo app feels like going back to Windows 3.1.

Chromecast built-in would (for example) allow you to cast direct from the official (and free) Tidal/Qobuz app (on iOS and Android) up to PCM96kHz , with fantastic UI that’s always improving with updates all the time. And Chromecast allows you to also use the official Spotify app, official Deezer app, etc etc. So you don’t have to even use any 3rd party app at all.

And of course we know Roon would allow PCM192kHz and DSD64.

And all these above mentioned apps get updates and improved continuously.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #1,104 of 2,185
Hi folks,

Question about the black label since I couldn't find a separate thread for it. I have a Nano Black Label and want to pair it on my laptop with Dolby Atmos.

Windows won't let me apply Dolby Atmos to the Nano but it works automatically with a Dragonfly Red.

Is there any way I can use Dolby Atmos on the IFI Nano? It's no biggy, but I was hoping to be able to do it.

Thank you for your help. I'm on Windows 10.

Mar 14, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #1,105 of 2,185
Hi folks,

Question about the black label since I couldn't find a separate thread for it. I have a Nano Black Label and want to pair it on my laptop with Dolby Atmos.

Windows won't let me apply Dolby Atmos to the Nano but it works automatically with a Dragonfly Red.

Is there any way I can use Dolby Atmos on the IFI Nano? It's no biggy, but I was hoping to be able to do it.

Thank you for your help. I'm on Windows 10.

Hi Sebastien,

Can you can shoot us a message via our support platform here: http://support.ifi-audio.com/

Thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 16, 2019 at 5:32 AM Post #1,107 of 2,185
Mar 16, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #1,108 of 2,185
I have upgraded to the latest firmware and MQA plays with no problems from a Mac using Tidal

The IOS version of Tidal has been upgraded to allow MQA playback to a DAC via USB but I tried both an iPhone and iPad connected to the idsd but playback stutters very badly and MQA only appears very briefly in the idsd display before switching back to the non MQA display

Also tried it with the micro idsd BL with the same results

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #1,109 of 2,185
Folks, we have a major announcement.

iFi audio has recently returned from a couple of outstanding audio shows – CanJam in New York, USA and Bristol Sound and Vision, UK.

As promised, audiences had the chance to audition the pre-production model of the new Pro iDSD. This gave us the invaluable opportunity to gather feedback from the end user, directly.

We couldn’t miss out on the final chance to let our potential customers drive the Pro concept forward just one more time.

So, as is our want, we have taken the feedback on board and are tweaking the hardware and the software in response to these comments.

It seems that certain markets required the additional 2.5mm headphone socket and some the 4.4mm – so we’re doing both. Watch this space for more info on how and why!

Inevitably this will have an impact on the official launch date of both the Pro iDSD and the Pro iRack which we intend to launch together.

Skin says he needs more time (until the end of May) to implement these tweaks and will be able to give us a definite launch date nearer the time.

Hi again!

Now maybe in the meanwhile, ifi got the chance to have two hands free in order to drill a bigger hole in the front panel and, at the very end, insert the long, very long awaited 4,4mm mini XLR socket - just to prevent "the same procedure as last year" (look at the promised date above which wasn't the first one at all!). I am waiting for it...

And I wonder why you all stop mentioning this topic for a long time now, folks. No more interested in getting this, nobody wants to achieve it any more?

I really enjoy my BL plus iUSB3.0 in combination with my iCANpro (just to mention i. e. the surprisingly impressive GTO filter improvement), and I expect another great improvement with the iDSDpro - as a lot of you tell all the time and tell some respectable and convincing reviews, but I am waitiing for the new hole in the front panel with...

Hm.

Tinnitize

Mar 17, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #1,110 of 2,185
Hi again!

Now maybe in the meanwhile, ifi got the chance to have two hands free in order to drill a bigger hole in the front panel and, at the very end, insert the long, very long awaited 4,4mm mini XLR socket - just to prevent "the same procedure as last year" (look at the promised date above which wasn't the first one at all!). I am waiting for it...

And I wonder why you all stop mentioning this topic for a long time now, folks. No more interested in getting this, nobody wants to achieve it any more?

I really enjoy my BL plus iUSB3.0 in combination with my iCANpro (just to mention i. e. the surprisingly impressive GTO filter improvement), and I expect another great improvement with the iDSDpro - as a lot of you tell all the time and tell some respectable and convincing reviews, but I am waitiing for the new hole in the front panel with...

Hm.

Tinnitize

To make it clear: This was announced 2018.

tinnitize

Users who are viewing this thread

Back