iFi audio Pro iDSD (Official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.
Feb 8, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #46 of 2,184
I think you guys are being way to nitpicky about the iDSD Pro. Remember, this is a DAC, first, which just so happens to have the ability to listen with headphones. They've already packed this thing to the gills with features, as a DAC. For the headphone crowd, it's not as if they're going to be able to fit something with as many features into the DAC as they do their dedicated headphone amp. Also the DAC, itself, is only $2500 USD. I haven't heard the iDSD Pro, but in theory, that's a bargain in the hi-fi world.

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #47 of 2,184
Rather aggravating- they don’t listen to public opinion over 3D and XBass, but delay production over this minuscule detail (which could have been easily remedied with an adapter). Yes ‘it’s a DAC’ etc etc, but then why mess around with the headphone outputs...
... not nice to be abusive, but this doesn’t really seem to be an intelligent move by ifi

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #49 of 2,184
It is in direct line with the Chord Hugo2, and others of that status/range. While half again what the iFi Pro iCAN retails for, I do think it is inline for a TOTL product such as this. Having reviewed and owning several of their products, iFi has hit the mark MANY more times than not and with very competitive prices.

I laud them for taking this jump above the Pro iCAN, which when used in conjunction with said Pro can compete with some of the best out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 12, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #51 of 2,184
From iFi, I’ve been waiting for a solid desktop/cabinet DAC (headphone amp secondary, tertiary or even nonexistent for all I care). It seems the the iDSD Pro hits the mark. Thanks, iFi.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #52 of 2,184
I predict low sales. Way too expensive for iFi. Frankly saying, not even interested in specs: unaffordable, out of the initial wallet-friendly concept.
your statement makes no real sense. you mention the 'wallet friendly concept' and ifi offers dozens of products like this this one though, is a pro line product that offers not only what should be an excellent dac but myriad of other features rarely or not even offered together in the same package. I, for one, is very excited about being able to connect a 4tb HDD and listen to my DSD128 music without having to move in from device to device.

this product is not you, that's all, just like I stick a miata's and not bmw's

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #53 of 2,184
Pro line... Pro in the name of the iFi product means professional, am I right? What actual professional use did they mean? :) Have you seen many super DACs in the studios? :) People involved in the music production mostly grin over this pro verbiage. In terms of audiophilia pro devices are practical and pale and this colorful juicy pro reality mostly exists in the not-pro heads. I like iFi (best tech support in the industry, at least) but guys,, cmmon, let me also stay smart: Pro is just a catchy word synonymous to our top or the best we can.

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #54 of 2,184
Pro line... Pro in the name of the iFi product means professional, am I right? What actual professional use did they mean? :) Have you seen many super DACs in the studios? :) People involved in the music production mostly grin over this pro verbiage. In terms of audiophilia pro devices are practical and pale and this colorful juicy pro reality mostly exists in the not-pro heads. I like iFi (best tech support in the industry, at least) but guys,, cmmon, let me also stay smart: Pro is just a catchy word synonymous to our top or the best we can.

I wouldn't be too picky over Pro naming. We all know that most pro's don't use highest end eq but eq they are used to working on. I imagine that for ifi, pro line denotes their highest end line for headphone use, before you drift into the AMR world.

Feb 13, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #55 of 2,184

Just because there is a lot of FocusRite in studios doesn't mean that high end DACs aren't used. Benchmark DACs are most definitely used, as are Prism Sound DACs. I'd wager that Mytek gets some studio use too. Will iFi Pro series be used by professionals in studios? I doubt that is the main audience, but I wouldn't rule it out offhand.

The Pro is probably just marketing speak, but I'm not going to pre-sage that ''pros" don't make up part of iFi's market. Does it really matter?

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #56 of 2,184
iFi audio Pro iDSD - The Official Thread

First of all, the premiere date:

The 15th of February 2018

We don't expect any difficulties along the road towards this day. Yet if some shifts will occur, we'll update this very post to keep you good Head-fi.org people properly informed.

*crickets*

[EDIT - I see on a previous page they announced the new date. It would be handy to keep info up to date on the first page too...]

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #58 of 2,184
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 16, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #59 of 2,184
It is in direct line with the Chord Hugo2, and others of that status/range. While half again what the iFi Pro iCAN retails for, I do think it is inline for a TOTL product such as this. Having reviewed and owning several of their products, iFi has hit the mark MANY more times than not and with very competitive prices.

I laud them for taking this jump above the Pro iCAN, which when used in conjunction with said Pro can compete with some of the best out there.

I concur (particularly as an Pro iCan reviewer and owner).

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #60 of 2,184
I'm late to the party to find out it was delayed :frowning2: That's kinda disappointing since the reason for the delay doesn't seem like it really affects most people, oh well though I'm not even sure if I can swing it. Id really like to hear a quad DAC, but I can't help feeling like I'm paying twice for a second headphone amp especially with owning the ican pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back