iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Sep 24, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #751 of 3,458

Helicarrier 1 - request permission for take-off

Copy helicarrier 1, permission granted...

and

See you at the Canjam. :wink_face:

(pls excuse the rough pics - but they are taxiing on the runway for Denver)

Helicarrier 2 is still in the hangar - it won't be at RMAF. Crew chief Thorsten and his team are working round the clock - the only thing that has remained the same is the name. All else has been radically changed.

helicarrier 1 = headphone amp?

:D

Sep 24, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #752 of 3,458
helicarrier 1 = headphone amp?

biggrin.gif

Gotta be. I'm sure of it. From what I've heard there's only the two items in the Pro Line: iCAN Pro & iDSD Pro. The iTube has already been integrated into both products.

Sep 24, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #753 of 3,458
there will be more than 2 products in the "pro" line... 

USA distributor is telling us dealers going to RMAF that it is the Pro iCAN coming and Pro iDSD isn't quite ready for the show.... I hope that doesn't steal any thunder from iFi... I only comment now because they sort of announced it above...

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #754 of 3,458
there will be more than 2 products in the "pro" line... 

USA distributor is telling us dealers going to RMAF that it is the Pro iCAN coming and Pro iDSD isn't quite ready for the show.... I hope that doesn't steal any thunder from iFi... I only comment now because they sort of announced it above...

Nah, I don't think it steals any thunder from iFi. They've basically said that we would see the iCAN Pro first. Some of us follow this quite closely.

But more than 2 products in the Pro Line? I can't imagine what those would be, unless we're talking totally new products from scratch. The iPhono appears to have been folded into the Retro 50. And the iTube into the other Pro Line models. Any hints? Haha.

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #755 of 3,458
Nah, I don't think it steals any thunder from iFi. They've basically said that we would see the iCAN Pro first. Some of us follow this quite closely.

But more than 2 products in the Pro Line? I can't imagine what those would be, unless we're talking totally new products from scratch. The iPhono appears to have been folded into the Retro 50. And the iTube into the other Pro Line models. Any hints? Haha.

I was hoping something along the line of Pro Power (completely made up name) ... where it filters and conditions clean power into multiple IEC sockets (assuming the Pro iCAN and iDSD uses IEC) ... maybe integrate the functionality of the iUSB 3.0 into the Pro Power too. Nice and neat to have a stackable box feeding all the power and signal (ok, maybe not such good idea power & signal together) to the iDSD and iCAN. :D

Sep 25, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #756 of 3,458

I was hoping something along the line of Pro Power (completely made up name) ... where it filters and conditions clean power into multiple IEC sockets (assuming the Pro iCAN and iDSD uses IEC) ... maybe integrate the functionality of the iUSB 3.0 into the Pro Power too. Nice and neat to have a stackable box feeding all the power and signal (ok, maybe not such good idea power & signal together) to the iDSD and iCAN. :D

I think that if the iDSD Pro is to be a flagship product, the functionality of the iUSB3.0 must be built in.

What kind of flagship product requires the addition of a $400 widget to make it sound like a flagship?

People who bought the Retro Stereo 50 must already be mildly annoyed at the idea that it can be improved by adding an external widget. It's supposed to be an all-in-one so basically it's out of date already.

Very soon now most other DAC manufacturers will be adding this new USB technology to their products, just as they all added 'asynchronous' operation to replace the greatly inferior 'adaptive' mode.

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #757 of 3,458
I think that if the iDSD Pro is to be a flagship product, the functionality of the iUSB3.0 must be built in.

What kind of flagship product requires the addition of a $400 widget to make it sound like a flagship?

People who bought the Retro Stereo 50 must already be mildly annoyed at the idea that it can be improved by adding an external widget. It's supposed to be an all-in-one so basically it's out of date already.

Very soon now most other DAC manufacturers will be adding this new USB technology to their products, just as they all added 'asynchronous' operation to replace the greatly inferior 'adaptive' mode.

Hi,

Interesting points raised but we respectfully beg to differ, albeit slightly.

- I think that if the iDSD Pro is to be a flagship product, the functionality of the iUSB3.0 must be built in.

Please bear with us but adding the "iUSB 3 Technology" makes only sense for DACs that are:

1) USB Powered (for any function) - which includes many notionally self-powered, high-end DACs even ones that cost US$10k (see upcoming RMAF for ones that use the iUSB3.0).

2) Lack galvanic isolation (so noise from the USB circuitry can enter the actual DAC/Clock DAC) - which is most DACs out there

3) Have the clock system for Audio on the "dirty USB Side" rather than the "clean DAC Side" in terms of PCB Layout - again, most DACs out there are affected as USB Chip application notes invariably show the audio clocks on the same sheet as the USB Chip.

We hope this sheds more light on what/who the micro iUSB3.0 is aimed at.

This does not apply to the Pro iDSD. The iDSD Pro will have galvanic isolation and is fully self-powered. So the iUSB3.0 will not help much if any. Few DACs do this at any price. And to answer the next likely question, we have not snipped a trace to get galvanic isolation.
wink_face.gif

- People who bought the Retro Stereo 50 must already be mildly annoyed at the idea that it can be improved by adding an external widget. It's supposed to be an all-in-one so basically it's out of date already.

Its priorites are in a different direction for a different customer base. The Retro has tube amp, DAC, phono stage and headamp all under one chassis and comes with speakers. And the fact that it handles DSD512 means it is quite future-prooofed.

The $400 iUSB Power* is for all iFi and non-iFi products. It improves the sound of US$10k DACs that use a USB connection see at RMAF for example. So yes it wll improve the Retro too.

- Very soon now most other DAC manufacturers will be adding this new USB technology to their products, just as they all added 'asynchronous' operation to replace the greatly inferior 'adaptive' mode.

We accept other manufactures will cotton on - such is life and the nature of free-markets. But fear not. As we originally designed this stuff, we will continue to push the envelope while at the same time, trying to maintain the same backwards and forwards modularity for iFi and non-iFi products. eg ANC was developed by AMR for its future products - but it has been trickled-down to the iDAC2 and iUSB3.0.

However, if you are referring specifically to "re-driving USB Inputs," this normally does not make much sense for inclusion in a DAC, as it does not remove the problem from inside the DAC.

If you place these electronics inside the DAC and power them on the same groundplane and with the same PSU as the USB Chip you have put the whole problem back into the DAC.

If you then start separating power supplies etc. et al until you have a situation similar to the iUSB 3 you are looking at major effort, which can be completely avoided by providing galvanic isolation and placing the clocks and other noise sensitive items on the "qiuet side."

Because Bits are truly just Bits. As long as the USB circuitry spits out the right bits and cannot effect any clocks, power supplies etc. and as long as correct impedance USB Cables are used the USB System is quite "tweak proof" which is what we have done as much as we can across the board.

Cheers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 25, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #758 of 3,458
While I agree that people expect and demand more and more thesedays, the Retro already has tube amp, DAC, headamp and phono stage. Nothing else like it on the market.

The clean USB power is outside of the remit of the source box. I think that is a little excessive to expect it all.

Do you also want the USB cable to be attached to the Retro?

At this rate, you may as well ask iFi to come around to your house and change the tunes as remote control should also be handled by iFi.

Sep 25, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #759 of 3,458
  While I agree that people expect and demand more and more thesedays, the Retro already has tube amp, DAC, headamp and phono stage. Nothing else like it on the market.

The clean USB power is outside of the remit of the source box. I think that is a little excessive to expect it all.

Do you also want the USB cable to be attached to the Retro?

At this rate, you may as well ask iFi to come around to your house and change the tunes as remote control should also be handled by iFi.

+1. the ifi pro should come with a professional DJ to press the next button.

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #760 of 3,458

It's Friday so here you go....

And a little background reading.

The GE5670 is so good that it has become a standalone product for 6922 customers. The 'NOS 6922' valve/tube set will go live in the next few days.

WARNING: despite the same 9-pin setup, because the pin outs are different, it is not a 'straight swap.' One needs special adapters which AMR/iFi developed:

Last but not least, here is a sneak peak of the packaging.   

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 25, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #761 of 3,458
This does not apply to the Pro iDSD. The iDSD Pro will have galvanic isolation and is fully self-powered. So the iUSB3.0 will not help much if any. Few DACs do this at any price. And to answer the next likely question, we have not snipped a trace to get galvanic isolation. :wink_face:

This is the part that concerns me and/or has me confused, to wit, I have purchased the iUSB3.0 to use with my iDSD micro for now, but also for the future, because my wish is that the iDSD Pro is my end-game DAC. I understand galvanic isolation to an extent, but wouldn't the iUSB3.0 still have benefits as it is advertised not only to REclock, but also to REgenetrate and REbalance, which has what bearing on the clock? In essence, my understanding is that the iUSB3.0 is doing all of the magic before it reaches the DAC...so how does this not benefit the signal going to the DAC, no matter if the DAC utilizes galvanic isolation or not? One would still be influencing problems intrinsic to computer audio, like jitter, signal imbalance, etc., right, or is my whole understanding off (which it very well could be)?

Sep 26, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #764 of 3,458

It's Friday so here you go....

And a little background reading.

[ATTACHMENT=1747]VTV09-5670backgroundsmall.pdf (736k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT]

The GE5670 is so good that it has become a standalone product for 6922 customers. The 'NOS 6922' valve/tube set will go live in the next few days.

WARNING: despite the same 9-pin setup, because the pin outs are different, it is not a 'straight swap.' One needs special adapters which AMR/iFi developed:

Last but not least, here is a sneak peak of the packaging. [ATTACHMENT=1748]GE56706922-print.pdf (651k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT] 

Sooooo...hmmmm...this is a new stand alone product, a box of two tubes/valves, including a white glove and top hat, for people who want to tube roll with iFi products and/or some other tube driven gear? Just replace the socket and all, because a lot of work went into making this socket better than your old skool one.

Maybe I see. Perhaps I don't see at all. 6922s certainly have a less flubby characteristic as opposed to other models. These are not the tubes in the Retro 50, but they ARE the ones in the iTube, yes? :)

Sep 26, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #765 of 3,458
Hmmm, this info makes the decision for a new dac/amp even harder. Especially if you like tubes, like I do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back