iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Sep 16, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #736 of 3,458
You have not gotten your Regen yet, I gather. Did you cancel it? I can vouch that it is a very impressive upgrade for the micro. It has helped me to be patient in this drawn out development/regroup/redevelopment of the pro. I am curious whether the iusb 3.0 can be better. 

Is the iusb 3.0 already available?  http://www.ttvjaudio.com/iFi_iUSB_3_0_p/ifi0000032.htm
It doesn't mention availability............$400, not cheap.

I came close to getting a Regen, but I decided not to drop the money. Then lo and behold iFi has a new product, but without buying all of these little components to get the juice out of the Regen.

On another note, though, I'm now running Windows Server 2012 r2 in perhaps a prep to get AO. The jury is still out on the OS, itself; still, it's a bit of a different animal. It's kind of a cool experiment.

Sep 16, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #737 of 3,458
I came close to getting a Regen, but I decided not to drop the money. Then lo and behold iFi has a new product, but without buying all of these little components to get the juice out of the Regen.

On another note, though, I'm now running Windows Server 2012 r2 in perhaps a prep to get AO. The jury is still out on the OS, itself; still, it's a bit of a different animal. It's kind of a cool experiment.

Go get AO, what are you waiting for? Read the reviews, they are unanimously positive. I can say it makes a tremendous difference in my system, especially when run in core mode.

I am very interested to hear comparisons between the Regen and iusb 3.0. Hopefully there will be someone who has both....it won't be me.

I am finding many, many great tweaks as I wait............and wait, for the Pro.

Sep 16, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #738 of 3,458

Go get AO, what are you waiting for? Read the reviews, they are unanimously positive. I can say it makes a tremendous difference in my system, especially when run in core mode.

Sorry if I'm being dense but what is 'AO'?

Sep 16, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #739 of 3,458

Before anyone says, "Google it." which is currently a trend on other ifi threads, I just have. It's a website that sells washing machines, freezers, cookers, TVs etc.

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #740 of 3,458

Audiophile Optimizer. It's been really difficult for me to drop cash on software, but since I got a new machine and the OS I picked up for a song (that is, free, though the company I work for), I might as well try AO.

Before anyone says, "Google it." which is currently a trend on other ifi threads, I just have. It's a website that sells washing machines, freezers, cookers, TVs etc.

That, too! Haha.

Just think. All of this in preparation for the iDSD Pro, which I hope will be end-game for me.

Sep 19, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #741 of 3,458
Audiophile Optimizer. It's been really difficult for me to drop cash on software, but since I got a new machine and the OS I picked up for a song (that is, free, though the company I work for), I might as well try AO.
That, too! Haha.

Just think. All of this in preparation for the iDSD Pro, which I hope will be end-game for me.

You' re not the only one counting on this dac to be bro..

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #742 of 3,458
Hmm Audio Optimizer for windows 2012 server. Interesting that they decided to put this for Windows 2012 Server rather than on say for the mainstream windows users such as 7,8, and 10. Seems kind of wasteful considering if you have a windows 2012 server machine this would be dedicated for music and couldn't be used efficently to game on. Just my thoughts.

Sep 20, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #743 of 3,458
Hmm Audio Optimizer for windows 2012 server. Interesting that they decided to put this for Windows 2012 Server rather than on say for the mainstream windows users such as 7,8, and 10. Seems kind of wasteful considering if you have a windows 2012 server machine this would be dedicated for music and couldn't be used efficently to game on. Just my thoughts.

That was my first thought as well. Not to mention Server 2012 has a huge upfront price plus yearly cost afterwards. Don't run it due to the costs but I believe the AO creator used 2012 because it has so few background services running to begin with (fewer services means less possible jitter).

Did my own AO style optimizations in BIOS and Windows 8 but I still have 3x the services running compared to Server 2012. Would disable more but already had issues installing my iDSD Micro after the optimizations. I can hear some improvements afterwards but hard to say how much more it would improve if running 2012 (plus I built fanless PC from scratch just for sound processing so that helps as well).

Imo, if your running 2012 and AO, its likely gonna be on a dedicated machine. Trying to game and have THE cleanest audio on one machine may not be the most feasible thing.

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #744 of 3,458
I would always go for Daphile (http://www.daphile.com/) as audio headless audiophile OS, it works with XMOS USB class 2.0 DACs very well incl. the iFi micro iDSD or Gustard U12 and provides a perfect solution with nice smartphone apps to control the music playback.

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #745 of 3,458

Helicarrier 1 - request permission for take-off

Copy helicarrier 1, permission granted...

and

See you at the Canjam.
wink_face.gif

(pls excuse the rough pics - but they are taxiing on the runway for Denver)

Helicarrier 2 is still in the hangar - it won't be at RMAF. Crew chief Thorsten and his team are working round the clock - the only thing that has remained the same is the name. All else has been radically changed.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 24, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #748 of 3,458

Running music on a computer you have to battle many intrinsic flaws with PCs to arrive at a sound that's the closest to analog as you can get. Therefore, for those that are inclined, like myself, deciding to run a dedicated machine is one of the first steps. I have since installed AO on my Server 2012 r2 machine, and it really is a gem. It was very much worth it to me.

Now, with the iUSB3.0 and the iDSD Pro hitting the market (soon-ish) I feel the mix of software and hardware will get me much closer to what I've been searching for in computer audio.

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #749 of 3,458
Big whoopty doo! Give us more. I will have to send a spy to canjam.

The silver lining in all this waiting is that I continue to hone the rest of my system in preparation for the pièce de ré·sis·tance.

I'm ready......................................bring it!!..............soon I hope.

Sep 24, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #750 of 3,458

Running music on a computer you have to battle many intrinsic flaws with PCs to arrive at a sound that's the closest to analog as you can get. Therefore, for those that are inclined, like myself, deciding to run a dedicated machine is one of the first steps. I have since installed AO on my Server 2012 r2 machine, and it really is a gem. It was very much worth it to me.

Now, with the iUSB3.0 and the iDSD Pro hitting the market (soon-ish) I feel the mix of software and hardware will get me much closer to what I've been searching for in computer audio.

I am definitely excited about new products coming out that seem to progress the computer audiophile market but I also don't want to lose sight of what it does to the sound.  In the past I have thought that some cables don't necessarily really do what they claim and it's all smoke and mirrors.  Definitely not saying that is always the case but I am very cautious when it comes to these products that it doesn't warp the sound into something that really isn't there.

That is what worries me when we talk about USB decrapifiers and whatnot.  So far I like Jason Stoddard from Schiit approach the best.  It may help and it may not (the wyrd).  This seems to be more of the truth than not.  I really hope these devices aren't just cleaning up a signal then leaving you wondering where that great sound finally attained went to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back